Phuket: Aussie denies shoplifting - but Phuket police say they have him banged to rights

webfact

Phuket: Aussie denies shoplifting - but Phuket police say they have him banged to rights

4pm.jpg

Thai caption: Aussie man arrested

Phuket's top brass tourist police turned out at a press conference yesterday to announce the arrest of a 38 year old Australian man who they claim has been shoplifting. 

A search of a room rented by an Australian man in Muang district of Phuket found a hidden drone worth nearly 29,000 baht that police say he stole from a department store on Boxing Day. 

Seven other designer items such as Gucci and Prada ladies bags and sunglasses were also taken into evidence. 

The Australian man denies being a thief. 

The Wichit police received a complaint of theft of a drone on December 27th and investigations led to the Australian. A warrant for theft was issued in his name by the court on New Year's Eve. 

The Australian man was arrested at Phuket airport after he returned to the island. 

After an interrogation in which he denied theft he was taken to his room where a drone and the other items were found. 

Region 3 commander of the tourist police Pol Maj-Gen Krissak Songmoonnark said they have plenty of evidence including witness testimony and CCTV footage with which to prosecute the Australian. 

A store employee has told the police that he was showing a foreigner the drone before he walked off. While he was distracted with other customers the foreigner walked back and made off with the drone valued at 28,990 baht.

The police have asked other shops that may have lost the designer goods to come forward and view the items at the Wichit police station. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-06
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, POMRAKSIAM said:

If I was a cop or "top brass" I would be humiliated to have a shoplifter as a high profile news worthy story!

They just can't contain themselves when foreigners are involved, foreigners may also be a source of extra income to fight the charges.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

but Phuket police say they have him banged to rights

Can any TV reader explain this phrase???

The correct English idiomatic phrase is “bang to rights” not “banged to rights” which means that there ‘is no doubt’ as to the person’s guilt.

1 hour ago, AjarnMartin said:

The correct English idiomatic phrase is “bang to rights” not “banged to rights” which means that there ‘is no doubt’ as to the person’s guilt.

banged-to-rights definition: Adverb (not comparable) 1. Alternative form of bang to rights.Verb banged to rights 2. simple past tense and past participle of bang to ...

Dear Ajarn,

Let Google be your modern day friend.

Rooster

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Right, Top brass gather for a shoplifter, anyone who reads this and don't know much about Thailand will be excused to think that there are no crimes in this country and if the top brass is involved in a shoplifting case, Thailand must a country where the worst crimes are petty crimes... 

It's become a diplomatic incident. His embassy will have to be involved as he's in detention.

Ergo, they don't leave it to Policeman Plod to explain to all and sundry.

Dear God, does nobody ever see the wider picture here?

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, POMRAKSIAM said:

If I was a cop or "top brass" I would be humiliated to have a shoplifter as a high profile news worthy story!

You're obviously not a Thai policeman then. They love to get everyone out for a photo opportunity even if an OAP has been caught on overstay.

Any crime detected without multiple brown envelopes changing hands are a photo opportunity.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Traveling in a fried-out combie
On a hippie trail, head full of zombie
I met a strange lady, she made me nervous
She took me in and gave me breakfast
And she said

Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six-foot-four and full of muscles
I said, "do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich
And he said

I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder
You better run, you better take cover, yeah

Lyin' in a den in Bombay
With a slack jaw, and not much to say
I said to the man, "are you trying to tempt me
Because I come from the land of plenty?"
And he said

Do you come from a land down under? (oh yeah yeah)
Where women glow and men plunder?

Living in a land down under
Where women glow and men plunder

Genetics? Criminal ancestors???

Men at Work. LOL 

Well Australia was a penal colony. 555

11 hours ago, Traubert said:

It's become a diplomatic incident. His embassy will have to be involved as he's in detention.

Ergo, they don't leave it to Policeman Plod to explain to all and sundry.

Dear God, does nobody ever see the wider picture here?

He's not a diplomat, so the embassy will not get involved. The embassy will be in contact with him, but they wont do anything other than provide advise, communication between relatives, transfer of funds things like that.

So, whatever the Thai judicial system wants to do with him is up to them. 

15 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

A press conference because shop lifting. If they would do this in other countries, the police has no time for other things anymore. 

As with small amounts of drugs, smoking a joint etc complete waste of time slap on wrist and a warning at most, like Thais with bad driving, what about a press conference for  jumping a red light ? THAT might actually work now i think about it, but.....

On 1/6/2020 at 6:27 PM, Jane Dough said:
banged-to-rights definition: Adverb (not comparable) 1. Alternative form of bang to rights.Verb banged to rights 2. simple past tense and past participle of bang to ...

Dear Ajarn,

Let Google be your modern day friend.

Rooster

Thanks but no thanks. Neither Google nor Wikipedia are good sources for BRITISH ENGLISH but I’m grateful for the thought. ????

1 hour ago, AjarnMartin said:

Thanks but no thanks. Neither Google nor Wikipedia are good sources for BRITISH ENGLISH but I’m grateful for the thought. ????

Agreed, I too do not rely on Google or Wikipedia, I just ask my wife, she knows everything ............... EVERYTHING!!!!!

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2020 at 7:25 PM, CharlieK said:

What utter rubbish. It's only a diplomatic incident if the guy was a diplomat <deleted>. The top brass like to have their picture taken even with shoplifters. Just another photo op. 

If he was a diplomat he would have diplomatic immunity.