Video: Careless...criticism rife as car reverses for U-turn and pick-up overturns

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

In the footage a car can be seen slowly reversing in fits and starts some distance back towards a U-turn. As the man driving attempts to make the U-turn and stops in the road a pick-up loses control and overturns

A straight road, what can possibly go wrong?

Add a U-turn and two drivers.. anything can go wrong!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

How fast was the pickup going?  That pickup that could not be seen in the video until it appeared there on it's roof.

To do some kind of an evasive maneuver when he saw that "fits and starts" car in his way and hit and move the cement barrier such as he did, as opposed to braking, it seems obvious to me Mr Just Weird that he was not driving at the requisite speed for a built up area.

Ok?

7 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Something not right here , apart from some bad driving.  The car seemed to have stopped as the lane in front was left open for an upside down pickup to come hurtling down.  They don't just turn over on their own do they ?

Agree, this story seems to be siding with the pick up driver. The driver of the small car was dithering, then all of a sudden an out of control pick up arrives at the scene upside down, no way was the pickup driver driving to conditions.

My verdict goes against the Pickup driver for driving too fast in traffic.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JAG said:

Driving flat out, tyres greatly over inflated, brake hard and try to swerve, possibly offside front wheel clips kerb of central reservation.

The saloon was a plonker to pull out like that, but the pick up must have been really going!

Were you there at the accident?

If not it is only your opinion which is worth the same as mine and I wasn't there.

Was he driving too fast, were the tyres over inflated? Did you personally check the tyre pressures?

Of course he braked hard. Who wouldn't when some a**hole pulls over from the left lane to make a U turn?

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

Agree, this story seems to be siding with the pick up driver. The driver of the small car was dithering, then all of a sudden an out of control pick up arrives at the scene upside down, no way was the pickup driver driving to conditions.

My verdict goes against the Pickup driver for driving too fast in traffic.

If you were not there, how do you KNOW the pickup driver was driving too fast and out of control?

If the a**hole driver had gone to the next U turn, or had not decided that he HAD to use that one the accident would not have happened.

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Were you there at the accident?

If not it is only your opinion which is worth the same as mine and I wasn't there.

Was he driving too fast, were the tyres over inflated? Did you personally check the tyre pressures?

Of course he braked hard. Who wouldn't when some a**hole pulls over from the left lane to make a U turn?

Of course it is only my opinion. I was offering possible/likeiy causes for the pick up entering stage right on it's roof!

Edited by JAG
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

If the a**hole driver had gone to the next U turn, or had not decided that he HAD to use that one the accident would not have happened.

ermmmm it  would,  just  on a  different day  most  likely  with the same  driver

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

If you were not there, how do you KNOW the pickup driver was driving too fast and out of control?

When I drive or ride, I drive defensively both in Australia and Thailand as I expect to encounter unpredictable road users. The outcome of this is it is highly unlikely I will find myself upside down in my vehicle  because of the inept action of other road users. 

Edited by Oziex1
  • Like 2

10 mins and still not a cop in sight, CCTV not monitored, seen it at my local cop shop, large TV showing several cameras, mounted up high BEHIND and out of sight the front desks. TIT. 

Edited by brianthainess

20 hours ago, neeray said:

To do some kind of an evasive maneuver when he saw that "fits and starts" car in his way and hit and move the cement barrier such as he did, as opposed to braking, it seems obvious to me Mr Just Weird that he was not driving at the requisite speed for a built up area.

Ok?

No.  It's not obvious at all what speed he was driving at unless you could see him, Mr Neeray.  What is the speed limit on that road, by the way?

Not saying the driver of the car was right, but does anyone ever stop and consider that the police shutting down U-turns so you have to drive 6km just to turn around is a contributing factor in these accidents?  This Thai fascination with U-turns (and then subsequently closing the U-turns) is one of the big reasons motorcycles go the wrong way down the roads, and why idiots back up when they go too far rather than continuing straight ahead.

When you are looking at going 10km out of your way vs. backing up 100 meters, it just encourages this kind of reckless driving. Sure, Thai drivers don't follow the rules. But much of their bad behavior has to be assigned to how badly the Thai road system is designed. And every time the police close another U-turn, supposedly to "fix" the traffic congestion (which really only pushes it somewhere else), they just exacerbate an already bad design.

Personally, I would prefer more delays from stoplights and middle turn lanes even if that meant a slightly less efficient traffic flow. And I bet it would make the roads safer overall. Of course, I also know that without a solid median it would also mean the police have to actually do their job and stop people from expanding the number of lanes at a whim into oncoming traffic. One can dream though.

In any case, all closed U-turns should be immediately opened. There is almost never a truly justifiable reason to close one.