Drought crisis: Mekong running dry - kilometers of "beach"

webfact

Drought crisis: Mekong running dry - kilometers of "beach"

7pm.jpg

Thai caption: Mekong River running dry

Picture: 77kaoded

77kaoded reported that kilometers of the Mekong River were now beaches as the ongoing drought crisis hits Thailand. 

Levels in the river are 1.6 meters. 

They spoke to a fisherman called Bunmee, 60, who said that the Mekong has changed dramatically. 

It used to be a murky river but now is running clear. He can catch few fish and not the species he used to net.

He blamed dams upstream.

He said that in order to get to his boat for fishing these days he has to ride his motorcycle over the sands. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-08

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

New tourist attraction; today we have pink rice and new beaches on the Mekong. How good is that!

I guess  although I would venture into the Mekong for fear of skin conditions, no plastic in sight on that beach

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I seem to recall the Chinese doing something to it some time ago

Wanna be more specific?  Perhaps a link or citation or two?

Keith just posted above that there was plenty of water, and no beach, in the Mekong on his recent passing thru Vientiane, Laos....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Wanna be more specific?  Perhaps a link or citation or two?

No

I said I SEEM to recall, you can do your research. I may well be incorrect. But I am not, just checked feel free to do the same

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

No

I said I SEEM to recall, you can do your research. I may well be incorrect.

I have no personal knowledge on this particular topic. That's why I was asking...

But it appears, Thailand also has been a player itself in poorly managed/executed Mekong River water diversion.

https://www.internationalrivers.org/blogs/259/water-diversion-a-re-emerging-threat-to-mekong-water-security

A bit of a broader, multi-country view:

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/mekong-more-dams-more-damage

The great biodiversity and precious resources of the Mekong are increasingly endangered by the rush to dam one of the world’s great rivers. A total of 11 mainstream dams and 120 dams on tributaries are planned, which scientists warn will imperil the already fragile river system. Recent studies call for a suspension and review of future projects.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

And Laos as well:

...the ambitious agenda of Laos, one of the region’s poorest countries, to turn itself into “the battery of Southeast Asia” by building dozens of hydroelectric dams on the Mekong River and its tributaries and selling power to neighboring countries. Last year, Laos had 46 such power plants operating and 54 more planned or under construction.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:si5QVzgWBEIJ:https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2018/08/news-southeast-asia-building-dams-floods-climate-change/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

China started damming the Mekong in the early 1990s, but the main river has stayed undammed largely due to regional cooperation between the four member nations of the Mekong River Commission, which was established in 1995.

Energy needs and the financial incentives of hydropower, however, caused land-locked Laos to announce more than a decade ago that it would build nine dams on the main river, as well as dozens of new dams on Mekong tributaries. Cambodia and Vietnam soon launched their own dam projects.

Many of the tributary dams are now up and running, with Laos exporting close to $1 billion in electricity in the first nine months of 2017. The first of the new projects on the main stem of the Mekong—the Xayaburi dam in northern Laos—is expected to go online next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

I just came back from Savanakhet and the Mekong was well up with no beach in sight as the bus was going over the bridge back into Mukdahan . 

Looks okay to me at Nong Khai! I can only assume the Ban Khoum dam is the issue in Laos downstream!

TimePhoto_20200102_144148.jpg

Edited by Pdavies99
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What's the source, and dating, of that map?

The above info I posted makes it sound like the other SE nations are doing their share of the damage as well.

That map is from 2013. An updated version (upd 2017) can be found here https://www.internationalrivers.org/resources/mekong-mainstream-dams-map-16481

Screenshot_20200108_101210.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how long ASEAN will continue to 'embrace' the Chinese?

Colossal, unchecked, environmental destruction in Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Thailand, Eating as much endangered wildlife from the region as they fancy will keep giving them perk-ons, threatening embargos on those who oppose their archaic regime and their revolting imperialism. A disgraceful, bullying  nation which needs to be called to account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mrfill said:

That map is from 2013. An updated version (upd 2017) can be found here https://www.internationalrivers.org/resources/mekong-mainstream-dams-map-16481

Screenshot_20200108_101210.jpeg

Well looking at that, and my photos of the river and Nong khai which I believe is probably north of Udon Than, then I can only surmise the issue is the dam at Ban Koum in Laos? (Not trying to argumentative! )

Edited by Pdavies99
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Ya, this would be the better link source from last year:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/3021062/china-taking-control-vital-mekong-river-through-dam-building-spree-mike

But severe drought in Thailand has put China’s Mekong vision under rare global scrutiny. 

Last month the Mekong River Commission said river levels in June and July had dropped to “among the lowest on record”.

Beijing’s foreign minister Wang Yi said on Wednesday that China had released more water to “help Thailand”.

“Thailand’s suffering is China’s suffering,” he said.

When the article says "Beijing-backed" dams without elaborating, I'm guessing it also means the dams being built in Laos and Cambodia, which these days might well be considered puppet state of China.

2 minutes ago, IvorLott said:

I wonder how long ASEAN will continue to 'embrace' the Chinese?

Colossal, unchecked, environmental destruction in Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos and Thailand, Eating as much endangered wildlife from the region as they fancy will keep giving them perk-ons, threatening embargos on those who oppose their archaic regime and their revolting imperialism. A disgraceful, bullying  nation which needs to be called to account.

China does not care, they own them all through the"Belt and Road" initative , these countries will never be able to repay the loans, the infrastructure is owned by China, so they can either put up with bully or >>>>

Sun Tzu the "art of War" in 500 bc staed use economics, drugs etc rather than manpower, walk in easier. Shame western leaders and other Asian leader had not read it

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When the article says "Beijing-backed" dams without elaborating, I'm guessing it also means the dams being built in Laos and Cambodia, which these days might well be considered puppet state of China.

All part of the Belt and Road initative

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ireland32 said:

Thailand needs to push back on China , They are outta Control 

Image result for xi jin ping   GOLIATH     

DAVID  image.jpeg.f78dadb02ac3af5046984814523e8727.jpeg

I agree 100%. China may be outta control, but Thailand is nearly outta water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1