Selling online and investment

Hi,

Ministry of Labour and other Thai Gov. institutions have a new target- foreigners who work on tourist visa in Thailand without work permit. Last time 10 French people who were arrested because they worked online in call center. I haven't problem about it, my documents are ok. But I would like to know how is it: can you sell some legal products bought in Thailnad online when you stay in Thailand (e.g. on e-bay) ? Is it legal? Or police can make you any problem about it?

And the second thing. I heard if you have minimum 100K bath, you can invest in new 7/11 shop and as investor you can get a profit of it (% from selling in the shop). Is it true? If so, you must have your own company, have work permit to do it etc. ? 

I ask because I just would like to know. Many foreigners love Thailand and want to stay here. They don't want to do anything wrong and don't want to have problems with law. Not everyone is rich, has high pension or can work in international company with high salary. But everyone needs money to live. It is the basic thing.

Regards,

Daniel55

Just to clarify, if I read the article correctly, they were busted for working in a call center.  That’s way different than an individual working on their online business from their apartment.  

Similarly situation to some Chinese bookies that got busted a few months back when there were a bunch of them renting some villa and running a call center from there.  

The lesson to be learned here is not to have a bunch of employees working from one location.   

And this is not a “new target” as you say.  It’s always been illegal and immigration has been going after illegal workers like this for many years.  

Thai authorities are especially sensitive to call centers as they are often based in Thailand as scams.  

I think you answered your original question when you asked if you are sourcing products in Thailand.   

the sourcing and shipping your product would be the part that gets you in trouble.  

if you had a Chinese supplier and they drop shipped from China To US or Europe and you merely managed the business online, you would probably be fine.  

Archived