Five tourists dead, 8 injured as minivan slams into back of broken down truck

rooster59

A perfectly reasonable explanation for this accident might be that the minivan was tailgating another vehicle that realized just in time that they had to swerve to miss the stationary truck. They then had no time to react. A similar thing happened to me riding a bike years ago. I just managed to avoid leaving the nippers as orphans.

Rooster

• Like 1

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

If the driver had been paying the attention driving for a living demands, he would have seen the lorry cones or no cones and avoided this tragedy. Simply another case of people driving transport vehicles as a job, when they are not fit for the task. They should be taking a bus to work, not driving one.

Depends, when you driving behind another minibus, you'll don't see anything.

But I agree, when you driving more carefully it doesn't have to happen.

It's not hard to overdrive your headlights when you're wearing sunglasses at night.   Which is about the same as most tinted windshields in Thailand- even without the sunglasses. 

My night vision improved immensely when I scraped off the tint.  Probably gave me another 100 meters of warning when approaching an unlit truck in the road in the middle of the night.  Which happened quite often.  Some of them stationary, some moving at 5 km/hr.

Edited by impulse

23 hours ago, darksidedog said:

If the driver had been paying the attention driving for a living demands, he would have seen the lorry cones or no cones and avoided this tragedy. Simply another case of people driving transport vehicles as a job, when they are not fit for the task. They should be taking a bus to work, not driving one.

3 drivers at fault.... mini-van driver for not paying attention, truck driver for not warning other drivers of his breakdown, and the tow truck driver for not putting out cones !

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 10:39 AM, worgeordie said:

No time of accident reported in the article, if it happened in the

daytime completely avoidable, if it happened at night,less so.

Not at the speed these idiots travel at. Most have no comprehension of the speed at which they close on any obstacle and that is why there rarely are tyre marks on the road from braking nor do they understand that slick roads increase stopping distances

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 10:39 AM, worgeordie said:

No time of accident reported in the article, if it happened in the

daytime completely avoidable, if it happened at night,less so.

regards Worgeordie

The link quoting 15:30 clearly shows daytime photos of the tragic aftermath of this horrendous crash including the victims in body bags lying on the road. At 16:20 the report also states one of the injured died later in hospital. Even in daytime, the lone minivan driver could have suffered "micro sleep" after driving many hours non-stop from the south - just a thought.