Increasing the size of a granite cooker worktop 'hole'

URMySunshine

I am replacing the two hob stove top with a similar sized induction hob. The problem having taken the old hob out the new one is just ever so slightly too big probably by about a mm in places. Is there a diy method to smooth down the hole to make it bigger without using power tools. Carborundum paper comes to mind with a lot of elbow grease - would that work ?. Or should I just bite the bullet and get a local Somchai from the condo block with a grinder tool or some such ?

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Look for someone who has an angle grinder,YOU mark how much

you want taken off,and keep an eye on them so they don't get 

carried away,it will make a bit of a mess but will be done quickly.

regards Worgeordie

Thanks for the tip - I'm sure you're right. That said it's just a smidgeon and if there was a DIY method it would be good to know and give me something to  do !

Whatever you do, don't breath in ANY of the dust when cutting/grinding these manufactured granite bench tops - it causes terminal lung disease and or cancer. There are now dozens of young home builders/renovators in Oz who have been diagnosed with this type of lung disease, as once this dust gets inside your lungs, it can't get out. Even a sniff of it is really bad. Been in the papers in Oz a lot lately. Wear an N95 mask and you should be OK. If only 1mm, really coarse wet and dry sandpaper, say 40 or 60 grade and keep it wet, might do the job, but expect a sore arm ! Cheers !

Popeye style biceps on the way methinks (make sure you use your arms equally).

Seriously, 1 minute with an angle grinder and diamond disk and you're done.

If you're in a condo they will certainly have an odd-job man and he will (almost) certainly have a suitable grinder. Buy him a new disk.

If not in a condo then your village chief will know who has the tools, ditto on buying a new disk.

15 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

give me something to  do !

Your welcome to nip over to my place, I have plenty of jobs on-hand that will keep you busy ???? 

Hell, I will even grind out your granite while you are slaving away ????

3 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

Is there a diy method to smooth down the hole to make it bigger without using power tools. Carborundum paper comes to mind with a lot of elbow grease - would that work ?.

In fact you won’t need that much elbow grease, grab about ½ metre lengths of 40, 50, & 80 Grit cloth backed abrasive from any  big Hardware shop, a couple of short pieces of 13.5 x ¾” water pipe and a dust mask. It probably won’t take more than a day or much less.

while cutting use a vacuum-cleaner up close to the grinding wheel to collect the majority of dust, experiment for a few minutes to find out the best position of grinding wheel / vacuum nozzle - it will be time well spent.

Archived