Taxi Touts

What is the problem here? You get off a flight virtually anywhere in the world and someone wants to sell you a ride to civilisation, you either say yes, or no.

Now let us all practice, altogether yes or no....

The Gold Star cupboard may be open later for those who have grasped the concept.

Regards

PS Note to some, you have to choose which response to give, that's the tricky bit I guess.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the problem here? You get off a flight virtually anywhere in the world and someone wants to sell you a ride to civilisation, you either say yes, or no.

Now let us all practice, altogether yes or no....

The Gold Star cupboard may be open later for those who have grasped the concept.

Regards

PS Note to some, you have to choose which response to give, that's the tricky bit I guess.

after a long flight who cares if its 300b or 600b its a long way to town and the buses are crap ,drink 1 less jack coke on your holiday and you've covered the extra charge :o

• 2 weeks later...
It seems the airport and its new Director are finally responding to reasonable complaints by sensible methods:

Airport taxis to change lanes

Taxi stands to move to arrivals on 2nd floor

Suvarnabhumi airport is preparing to relocate public taxi stands to the second floor of the main airport building, on the same floor as the arrivals terminal, pushing out influential private limousine operators. Suvarnabhumi airport director Serirat Prasutanond said yesterday that taxi stands would move up from the frontal road on the first floor of the passenger terminal to the second floor after the Songkran festival ends on April 17. Passengers arriving at the airport exit from immigration and customs checks on the second floor of the airport building. Mr Serirat said ''This may affect some groups but it must be understood for the sake of problem solving.'' Limousine services and vehicles of hotel associations and group tour operators will be relocated from the second floor down to the first floor. Mr Serirat said the illegal but influential groups of limousine service providers were cashing in at Suvarnabhumi and that airport authorities had been catching up to 250 illegal limousine operators every day. A frequent user of the airport, Karunpon Tieansuwan, said that all he ever saw after coming through immigration were signs for limousine services and the loud and brash attempts of their staff trying to coax him into using their services. ''I don't understand why illegal taxi and limousine services are allowed to solicit passengers wanting to go to the city even though there are police and security guards standing right in front of them,'' he said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/05Apr2007_news10.php

UPDATE

Airport tout war going badly

Police who promised to end the operations of the operations of cheating unlicensed black-plate taxis and illegal tour guides at Suvarnabhumi airport by mid-June have admitted a first-round defeat - but will try again. Last month, Pol Maj-Gen Wut Liptapanlop, deputy chief of Police Region 1, vowed a major crackdown that would take the touts and illegal guides out of the airport within 15 days. On Sunday, Pol Maj-Gen Wut urged AoT to apply tax laws to curb the illegal operators, and vowed it would take just 15 days. But police have essentially given up. The new plan to halt the activities of illegal guides-cum-taxi drivers who prey on visitors requires action by the Airports of Thailand. AoT chairman Saprang Kalayanamitr gave the request to use tax laws to attack the so-called black-taxi rogues weak support, agreeing to discuss the matter with the Revenue Department this week. Pol Maj-Gen Wut said 36 gangs of illegal taxi drivers are active at Suvarnabhumi airport. They work for companies that between them operate about 3,000 illegal taxis.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=119675

How do they expect to keep the travelling public safe from terrorists when they can't handle a <deleted> tour guide?

we'll be ok as long as the T's don't cotton on to tea-money .................

A quick note regarding the taxi situation at Suvarnabhumi. It seems like it's becoming common practice for the taxi drivers at the official taxi stands on the ground floor to tell their foreign passengers that the rate is 400 baht - 450 baht (no meter) to their central Bangkok destination.

I work and live in Bangkok and recently had an experience exactly like that when picking up visiting family. We went to the taxi stand, got our slip and were handed off to the driver. He loaded all bags, we got in and off we went. We were about 10 meters from the ramp to the highway when he says (in Thai) "450 baht". I said (in my bad Thai) "No, I'm not a tourist. Please use the meter". He replied in Thai, very simply, "Get out", and stopped the car. I think he may have thought we would have said "ok ok...let's keep going", but I feel that if I had done that, it just adds to the problem.

So, we all got out and walked back to the taxi stand. We got another driver and he was resistant to turning on the meter, so I just turned it on myself and off we went. I had an equally difficult experience getting TO the airport from Sukhumvit. I had two different taxi's immediately ask me for 450 baht + to go to the airport. One just told me that he couldn't go if I didn't pay it, so I got out. The other told me that "you're a foreigner. why not pay 450 baht? it's little money for you". This made me furious. Just because I'm not Thai and I live in Bangkok does not automatically make me rich. Next taxi took me with no trouble, 185 baht for the one way trip.

I work with and know other people who fly in and out of the country often enough and have heard multiple accounts of getting taxi's at the taxi stand that immediately refuse to use the meter and ask 400 - 500 baht fares for the trip to mid - lower Sukhumvit destinations. Just a heads up to those that didn't know.

Edited by StrongView

Strongview,

With all due respect, I find it hard to believe your story. Granted, I haven't spoken English to a taxi driver in many years, but I've never had a taxi try that. The rare times when a taxi forgot to turn on the meter and I noticed later, he apologized and made amends to reset the meter, actually charging me less.

I don't doubt that has occured sometimes, but not as prevalent as you have described.

I maintain my account is 100% true. All of the events I described happening directly to myself happened on Tuesday 26 July between 3:30pm and 5:30pm. What reason would I have to bring up false claims? This forum is meant as a place to share experiences and ask questions. I'm just sharing my experience(s) in hopes to educate other members. I've lived in Thailand for a bit under 5 years now and have never experienced this sort of treatment before. They could be isolated events or not.

Edited by StrongView

Whilst I have not had a taxi stop and throw me out at the airport, I have been given the chance to aloow them to scam me. I was asked for 500 last time.

Since that incident I have always walked up to arrivals, ignored the security telling me I can't take a taxci and jumped in. Never had the run around as they are happy to have a fare on the way back to.

Strongview's incident seems entirly belivable.

I was asked for 500 once to go from Bayokke tower to central worlds (or whatever is was called). I said NO! My date said No! and he got nasty so we waited for him to hit traffic and hopped out. Leaving his door open of course.

He actually managed to u-turn in traffic and tried to chase us. We ran into a 7-11 and pretended to call the police. He was mighty pissed off.

Let's look at this a little closer.

I live in Sathorn, which is a little farther than lower Sukh, but not much. Normal meter is around 300+50airport fee+ 65 tolls, and if we had a nice chat or he helped with luggage 50B tip. That's 465 total.

Is it possible he was quoting you guys a flat rate for everything, or do you think he was wanting the 50B and tolls paid too?

From Sukhumvit Soi 1 (not where I live, but where I caught a taxi to the airport) by meter it was 185 baht taxi fare + 65 baht for tolls (total 250 baht). Going home from the airport to the Phrom Pong area it was 225 baht + a 25 baht toll (total 250 baht). The point is, these are "Taxi Meter" taxi's that know they should only be using the meter (check the back of the slip they give you for the complaint section) and there should be at least one reliable place to get such taxi's at the airport.

I'd like to point out that I don't have a problem paying 400 baht for a one way trip to the airport. It's the ethics involved with charging a foreigner more than double, just because he's not Thai. That I don't agree with.

Edited by StrongView

From Sukhumvit Soi 1 (not where I live, but where I caught a taxi to the airport) by meter it was 185 baht taxi fare + 65 baht for tolls (total 250 baht). Going home from the airport to the Phrom Pong area it was 225 baht + a 25 baht toll (total 250 baht). The point is, these are "Taxi Meter" taxi's that know they should only be using the meter (check the back of the slip they give you for the complaint section) and there should be at least one reliable place to get such taxi's at the airport.

I'd like to point out that I don't have a problem paying 400 baht for a one way trip to the airport. It's the ethics involved with charging a foreigner more than double, just because he's not Thai. That I don't agree with.

Your return trip forgot to mention the 50 baht surcharge which takes you to 300. Chinthee makes a good point - perhaps he was offering a flat rate (with a generous tip included).

Either way, you did the right thing by saying no and getting out. When you do that, leave the back door open.

Just one more point. This taxi driver no doubt queued up for a couple of hours waiting for you. I find it completely bizarre that he would get his passengers, then turf you out 50 metres up the road. Wouldnt that be a bit counter-productive?

I dunno. I really dunno. I think 99% of TV members have much more exciting lives than me.

Bendix, I completely agree with you. I have no idea why this driver queued for hours to get to the front of the line, pack up the taxi with all the bags and then kick us out when I declined to pay 450 baht.

May I ask what this is about leaving the rear door open? I've never heard about this before.

Bendix, I completely agree with you. I have no idea why this driver queued for hours to get to the front of the line, pack up the taxi with all the bags and then kick us out when I declined to pay 450 baht.

May I ask what this is about leaving the rear door open? I've never heard about this before.

I think they're referring to a som num na by inconveniencing the driver. The Hong Kong cabbies all have a long cord to pull so they don't care.

Leaving the doors open?

If you get in a taxi in good faith and he pulls a stunt like pretending the meter doesnt work, say thank you very much, get out of the car and walk away without closing the door. Chinthee is right - it's a mild revenge and a mild inconvenience, but - ###### - it feels good to make the point.

Having said that I'm pleased to say I've only had to do it twice in nearly three years.

Chinthee, arent those HK taxi doors automatic, not string pull?

Leaving the doors open?

If you get in a taxi in good faith and he pulls a stunt like pretending the meter doesnt work, say thank you very much, get out of the car and walk away without closing the door. Chinthee is right - it's a mild revenge and a mild inconvenience, but - ###### - it feels good to make the point.

Having said that I'm pleased to say I've only had to do it twice in nearly three years.

Chinthee, arent those HK taxi doors automatic, not string pull?

I agree a prat taxi like that deserves it.

In the older taxis, the crowns, they rig up a wire and he actually pulls if from his seat. Works very well, and a lot of passengers don't close the door properly. Another one of those cheap little efficient things one always sees in Hong Kong or Singapore.

so who has the best taxi's ??

Japan must be up there , white gloves <deleted> .............

That's a very good question. You should start a new topic. Japan are great with those white gloves but they can't speak English for sh!t. I can tell you the worst in Asia, Laos. Last one I had from the airport in Vientianne was about a 1958 non aircon Hillman Minx or something that barely ran. They called it an "airport limo."

To be perfectly honest - and I mean this sincerely - think Bkk has the best taxis in Asia when you consider all things such as price, quality of cars etc etc.

I travel all over Asia and I'm struggling to think of anywhere better.

HK possibly. Japan's are way too expensive and not so prevalent as either BKK or HK. Singapore are good quality, but not exactly reliable, particularly at certain times of the day. KL - bloody awful. You want to talk about scum taxi-drivers, go to Malaysia. People moan at Manila taxis, but while they are awful boneshaking cars, 90% of the drivers are pretty honest. Jakarta . . ok, but the same comments as Manila apply. Shanghai and Beijing ok. Sydney and Melbourne - hideously expensive and I've yet to find a taxi driver in Australia who wouldn't benefit from a good shower.

To be perfectly honest - and I mean this sincerely - think Bkk has the best taxis in Asia when you consider all things such as price, quality of cars etc etc.

I travel all over Asia and I'm struggling to think of anywhere better.

HK possibly. Japan's are way too expensive and not so prevalent as either BKK or HK. Singapore are good quality, but not exactly reliable, particularly at certain times of the day. KL - bloody awful. You want to talk about scum taxi-drivers, go to Malaysia. People moan at Manila taxis, but while they are awful boneshaking cars, 90% of the drivers are pretty honest. Jakarta . . ok, but the same comments as Manila apply. Shanghai and Beijing ok. Sydney and Melbourne - hideously expensive and I've yet to find a taxi driver in Australia who wouldn't benefit from a good shower.

I absolutely agree with you, Bangkok is tops, but would also rank Hong Kong on a par with Bangkok. The taxis are newer in Bangkok, but those crowns are designed for rear passenger room and comfort, but the cars themselves are older generation model and there is body roll on curves.

cabbies like to whinge, and I catching cabs at least 6 times a week being forced to listen can't help half suspecting that the new airport, and especially the new queue has made it uneconomical for them to wait in line - hence the attempts to go for a flat fare.

Quite a few cabbies I've spoken to avoid the airport like the plauge, unless they are taking people there. They say it isn't worth their while. Taxi hire is a minimum of 600 baht for a 12 hour sift for a halfway decent cab, and the queue means they can be there for up to 5 hours.

Given that the flagfall for the meter has been 35 baht for as long as I can remember, but costs have risen, perhaps it 'makes sense' that at some stage the cabbies are going to say 'sod it' and lets charge a flat rate.

Quite rightly though, people should tell them to take a hike if they try to pull a flat fare on them. If they are dumb enough to queue up for that long forgoing fares elsewhere, then they should expect to not get paid for the time they spend sitting around.

As for mild revenge, I suggest, when getting out, that you wind down the back window. A door left open can be closed quite easily by accelerating quicky... :o

interesting , personally I have no bones with the Bkk cabby's , ( try samui's that's a different story )

would probably give the prize to Singa's , though as noted 11.30 to midnight ain't going to happen .

This sort of brings us full circle back to Don Muang. How we all used to race upstairs to departures and grab one without the queues and hassles. Someone mentioned earlier that they had been doing this at the new airport.

Anybody else doing this? I might return to this practice if things get squirrely.

This sort of brings us full circle back to Don Muang. How we all used to race upstairs to departures and grab one without the queues and hassles. Someone mentioned earlier that they had been doing this at the new airport.

Anybody else doing this? I might return to this practice if things get squirrely.

Try going down to the lower level.

Recently when i came through the area was loaded with available taxis. ( early morning )

No apparent hastle then.

Perhaps others who use later incoming flights may have different observations on this.

marshbags

Totally concur.

With the obvious exception of tourist-traps like the airport and areas like KSR etc.

This is where most of the tourist "taxi-mafia" horror stories come from.

A case of the few giving the many a bad name.

Out here in the BKK boonies I have NEVER had a cabbie fail to put the meter on.

I will always round up the meter number to the next 10b and if I'm coming back from Tesco/Lotus and the guy has participated in the loading or unloading I'll go another 10b on top and this extremely modest tip always gets me a genuine smile and thank you.

I maintain my account is 100% true. All of the events I described happening directly to myself happened on Tuesday 26 July between 3:30pm and 5:30pm. What reason would I have to bring up false claims? This forum is meant as a place to share experiences and ask questions. I'm just sharing my experience(s) in hopes to educate other members. I've lived in Thailand for a bit under 5 years now and have never experienced this sort of treatment before. They could be isolated events or not.

StrongVieuw,

You are NOT my son, don't you?

I related an identical story that happened to my son at the new airport in March (you mention 26 July???) But the usual non-believers had their doubts (he might have gotten his ticket at an illegal taxi booth on the second floor according to some :o )

He had to leave the taxi 100m further and return to the stand where he had more problems with the employee assigning taxis before he could get into one who agreed to turn on the meter.

Bendix, since it did not happen to you it must be one of those urban myths? :D

a

I can tell you the worst in Asia, Laos. Last one I had from the airport in Vientianne was about a 1958 non aircon Hillman Minx or something that barely ran. They called it an "airport limo."

I'll second that. I mistakenly didn't research the taxi situation at the airport before my first trip. $6 for a 40 or 50 year old car, with no air-conditioning, as you say, and a horrible exhaust leak that filled the car with noxious fumes. The same distance trip in Bangkok would have been 35 baht. I vowed never to take another airport taxi again in Laos, even if it meant walking.

A few tips for anyone who does arrive there. A few of the better hotels offer free shuttle service to their hotel. I always stay at the Novotel as I get a great rate and they will be waiting for me at the airport if I inform them in advance of my flight details. They also allow you free use of the shuttle around town during the day if they're not busy with something else. If you can't get a free hotel shuttle, I'd try to get a tuk-tuk at the airport, or if not walk out to the main street and get one from there. Anything is better than one of those taxis.

If you can believe it, elsewhere in Laos, I've seen even worse taxis, such as in Pakse.

I agree with Bendix, all things considered, Bangkok has by far the best taxis in Asia, and perhaps the world. Fantastic deal. I do imagine though that someday they'll wakeup to the fact that their taxi rates are so low and double or triple them.

I've rarely had problems, but I certainly can see the situation happening where one has to get out of the taxi. I've had it happen to me where from Don Muang the driver refused to turn on the meter and I asked him to stop and let me out or else use the meter. He refused and kept on driving. I told him I would only pay what was on the meter. He probably thought I was a newbie tourist and didn't know any better and would yield to his demand for a flat rate. But in the end all he got was 50 baht, which is the taxi counter service charge. He complained loudly but knew he was wrong and so gave up and accepted the 50 baht.

The taxis in Manila are much worse. I've had on numerous occasions there had to yell at the driver to stop the taxi and let me out after having agreed to turn on the meter and then refuse later. This was after traveling maybe a kilometer. This is the most common case there. Almost alll the taxi drivers letting someone off at departures will agree to use the meter but then refuse after you're going. I think I only had one honest taxi driver in all my trips there that turned on the meter as he agreed to. Out in the city the situation is a bit better, but still very often you get the same sort of dishonest taxi drivers. And their rates per kilometer I'd guess are at least double that of Bangkok, yet the taxi drivers constantly complain about not getting enough money.

Dishonest taxi drivers are one of my biggest pet peeves, but I have very few reasons to complain about Bangkok taxis. There are a few dishonest drivers that try to take advantage of tourists who don't know any better, but it's usually quite easy to avoid them.

StrongVieuw,

You are NOT my son, don't you?

I related an identical story that happened to my son at the new airport in March (you mention 26 July???) But the usual non-believers had their doubts (he might have gotten his ticket at an illegal taxi booth on the second floor according to some :o )

He had to leave the taxi 100m further and return to the stand where he had more problems with the employee assigning taxis before he could get into one who agreed to turn on the meter.

Bendix, since it did not happen to you it must be one of those urban myths? :D

a

Tartempion, I was one of those that had some doubts about your story. I see now after hearing of many more stories that yours was probably accurate. The reasons for my doubt was mainly because it was the first report of such an incident and it was a second-hand story where we couldn't verify the details of what exactly happened. There also seemed to be a few inconsistencies or lack of clear communication about the details, if I remember correctly. Had the situation happened to you and we could have questioned you to be sure you were getting a taxi from the official taxi stand then I know I wouldn't have had any doubts, nor do I think others would have. Second-hand stories are notorious for being inaccurate and my doubts had nothing to do with you, but everything to do with my previous experience in such stories very often not being true. My apologies for not believing the story to begin with, but I think maybe you can understand mine and others reasons for doing so.

Bendix, since it did not happen to you it must be one of those urban myths? :o

a

Not necessarily. It just means I'm not one of life's victims. Must be karma. I was obviously a nice guy in a previous life.

Things change. Next time around I won't be so confident.