30 day consideration and re-entry permit. Should I get a new one?

Hello,

My extension of stay based on marriage was valid until Feb 10, 2020 along with my multiple re-entry permit. So I went to renew my 1 year extension on Friday, Jan 10. I got a 30 day under consideration stamp and have to come back on Feb 11. Under that stamp, there is a new stamp saying "Please contact the immigration office for a RE-ENTRY PERMIT Before Leaving Thailand" underneath it, there is some handwritten gibberish I can read.

I have a trip to make next week abroad just for a few days (return end of Jan). The main question is: Is my current multiple re-entry permit is still valid or should I get a new one just for the 30 day consideration. If I need a new one, should I apply for it at Chaeng Wattana or can I just apply at the airport?

It sounds like I need a new re-entry permit, but I am unsure whether the officer did not see my current one or it is just for the extra day the current extension of stay and re-entry do not cover.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

If your current extension is valid until Feb 10th and your returning before that date your current re-entry permit is still valid.

I disagree, the old re-entry permit was based on the last extension, the application for a new extension has null and voided the existing re-entry permit.

As it states in the passport, a new re-entry permit is needed.

OP - The re-entry permit desk in BKK airport is before immigration, go up to the left side immigration area and it is over in the left hand corner, it is signposted.

5 hours ago, Mattd said:

I disagree, the old re-entry permit was based on the last extension, the application for a new extension has null and voided the existing re-entry permit.

As it states in the passport, a new re-entry permit is needed.

OP - The re-entry permit desk in BKK airport is before immigration, go up to the left side immigration area and it is over in the left hand corner, it is signposted.

Down the stairs after security and turn right, not left. Unless it's moved in the last two days!

Thanks for tthe comments, guys. Two people say I need a re-entry permit and the two other say I don't. That adds to the uncertainty. I have no problem getting a new re-entry permit, although I find it awkward and inconvenient. Having said that, I still would like to know the bottom of it.

As I got contradictory information here, I went to Chaeng Wattana and asked an officer (who was very courteous, I wish the extension of stay counter was that courteous) at the re-entry counter. It turns out that my current re-entry permit is still valid until its expiration date on the 30 day consideration stamp as long as I come back before my re-entry permit expires (Feb 10).

The reason why there is a stamp below the 30 day consideration saying "Please contact the immigration office for a RE-ENTRY PERMIT Before Leaving Thailand" is because the Under consideration shows Feb 11 (as FEB 10 is a holiday). They stamped it in case I flew and came back after my current re-entry permit.

I wasted some time and money going to the immigration just for that, but I hope the information is useful for people who come across the same situation.

Thanks

• Like 1