Western Union

Anyone know HOW to receive a refund from Western Union?

I sent some money to a friend in the Uk...he has cnot cashed in the MTCN number....

He is now here in thailand, so I have been told.

I DO NOT want him to receive tthe money.

I sent it to him to pay for some tablets, which can not be bought in Thailand, I have tried on numerous occaisions to contact HIM...

He is just ignoring my messages.

HOW do I get refund from Western.

Thank you very much

Edited by metisdead
ALL CAPS removed from topic title.

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

As I recall you simply front up to a Western Union office with your original documentation and say you want to cancel it. Not sure if it's any office or the originating office (I've only ever had to do it once)

JUST WHAT i THOUGHT.....HAVE NOT seen anyway/thing on western website.....contact us is an American number in Denver

Just now, CharlieH said:

Providing the money hasnt been withdrawn, you can call or visit the Western Union office or call them and the order can be cancelled.

Make sure sure you have the originating paperwork.

I have tracked it and IT HAS NOT BEEN CASHED.....will the small office from where I sent the money re-imburse ME ??

2 minutes ago, userabcd said:

I would think you need to go to WU and request a cancellation and refund.

Info here https://wucare.westernunion.com/care/s/article/How-do-I-request-a-money-order-refund?language=en_US

thanks for the link....just looked at it....seems a lot of trouble....and have to pay MORE MONEY for refund....!!!

From Western Union:

To cancel in person-initiated money transfers:

1. Please visit the same agent location where you made your transfer or any branch of the same agent.
2. Remember to bring your government-issued ID to the agent location.

https://wucare.westernunion.com/s/article/How-do-I-cancel-a-money-transfer?language=en_US

*  The amount of money refunded (principal and/or fees) depends on the service chosen and the reason for cancelation. If you have questions regarding the amount to be refunded, please contact Customer Care.  Refunds are provided in the original form of payment. It may take up to 7 business days for the financial institution to credit the money to the sender.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

thanks for the link....just looked at it....seems a lot of trouble....and have to pay MORE MONEY for refund....!!!

The joys of doing business with financial institutions, they take a piece of ones hard earned money at every opportunity.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Yes, go there, take your paperwork and they will advise on procedure.

thanks very much.....as you will know the language thing is a big problem... many of the cashiers not speak english and if they do not very well.....or understand ones problems

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

From Western Union:

To cancel in person-initiated money transfers:

1. Please visit the same agent location where you made your transfer or any branch of the same agent.
2. Remember to bring your government-issued ID to the agent location.

https://wucare.westernunion.com/s/article/How-do-I-cancel-a-money-transfer?language=en_US

*  The amount of money refunded (principal and/or fees) depends on the service chosen and the reason for cancelation. If you have questions regarding the amount to be refunded, please contact Customer Care.  Refunds are provided in the original form of payment. It may take up to 7 business days for the financial institution to credit the money to the sender.

thank you.....I dom not want this so called friend getting HIS hands on MY MONEY.....

24 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I doubt their shareholders invest in them believing them to be a charity

Yes, but their fees are ridiculous, when their costs and salaries and declared dividends go up, the customer is the one who has to pay.

Most people are not shareholders and are just trying to get by with what little they have.

Thank goodness in banking there is more competition and alternatives for Tfer money now, WU transfer fees used much worse.

Edited by userabcd

Good luck trying to communicate with W U head office. I sent money to Thailand one day. Had to send additional same day to handle an emergency. Two sends in one day triggered an alarm. The second one never got there. It showed as "picked up" but had not been. I tried to communicate with head office. Impossible!!!

Apparently I was flagged as a possible money launderer as two sends in one day triggered an alarm.

Got my money back eventually. They closed my account. Barred me. But did me a big favour in the process as I now use a bank direct deposit at a much lower cost and about 4 hours delivery.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

I have tracked it and IT HAS NOT BEEN CASHED.....will the small office from where I sent the money re-imburse ME ??

Happened to me 3 years ago.

I didn't know it hadn't been collected (a couple of years previously).

Eventually received a letter from WU telling me to go to the nearest agent to get my money back.

Cost me nothing.

Edited by Enoon

1 hour ago, tinca tinca said:

thanks very much.....as you will know the language thing is a big problem... many of the cashiers not speak english and if they do not very well.....or understand ones problems

Oh dear, just go to the office and cancel. That´s the advise you´ve got numerous times now.