Driving in US with Thai licence query

I need to go back to the US for a few months to send my daughter to high school in Tennessee. I have been here over 30 years and my Massachusetts driving license is long-expired.

I think I remember hearing that you could drive in the US on a Thai driver's licence.

Has anyone tried this and did they experience any problems? Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

[Hopefully I won't drive on the wrong side of the road!]

Well I have rented a car using my Thai drivers license, if only for the reason that Rentalcars.com often gives better rates if you use your Thai license when booking.

So I was able to successfully rent the car from Hertz at LAX, but what happens if you were to get pulled over by the cops, I have no idea.

I would suspect that since you are a non resident most States allow a certain grace period for visitors to drive on their home State/Country license it would be fine

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well I have rented a car using my Thai drivers license, if only for the reason that Rentalcars.com often gives better rates if you use your Thai license when booking.

So I was able to successfully rent the car from Hertz at LAX, but what happens if you were to get pulled over by the cops, I have no idea.

I would suspect that since you are a non resident most States allow a certain grace period for visitors to drive on their home State/Country license it would be fine

That's useful, thanks. I will check out the Rentalcars site, as I am preparing for the Thai to US price shock. [Yes, I know the baht is relatively 'strong' now, but it's still a lot more expensive stateside.]

Some google research came up with one very useful site, which gives an overview. https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving

Subsequent research tells me that you only need the IDP for the state of Georgia...In my state they recommend translating the license to English.

Most states will let you drive on a foreign passport up to one year, but it's best to check with the individual states you plan to drive in....

Still, I hope I hope I don't get pulled over in Tennessee....

double and triple check the insurance requirements.  You might want to play it safe and purchase all the collision damage insurance, as ghastly as it is, that the rental agency offers.  If lucky, your credit card may cover everything.  Citicard this year stopped covering all Collision Damage Waiver stuff.  Amazing but true.

• Like 1

It's a US/Thailand treaty agreement, and all states should honor it.   But some cops don't know the law.  At the very least, be able to prove your identity with a passport in addition to your Thai DL.

I drove legally on my Thai DL (no IDP required because it's in English already) for 3 months when I first moved back to Texas.  Then, because I became a resident of Texas, I had to get a Texas DL.  Would have been the same if I moved in on a Florida or Oklahoma license.  I'm not sure what would have happened if I went beyond the 90 days...  But I suspect you'll be fine if you're not becoming a resident.

Edited by impulse
47 minutes ago, impulse said:

It's a US/Thailand treaty agreement, and all states should honor it.   But some cops don't know the law.  At the very least, be able to prove your identity with a passport in addition to your Thai DL.

I drove legally on my Thai DL (no IDP required because it's in English already) for 3 months when I first moved back to Texas.  Then, because I became a resident of Texas, I had to get a Texas DL.  Would have been the same if I moved in on a Florida or Oklahoma license.  I'm not sure what would have happened if I went beyond the 90 days...  But I suspect you'll be fine if you're not becoming a resident.

Thanks for the useful comment, especially the part about it being part of the US/Thailand treaty agreement.

Did you have any trouble getting used to driving 'on the right' side of the road? I haven't done it in over twenty years and I am a bit worried about that...

10 minutes ago, phuketsub said:

Thanks for the useful comment, especially the part about it being part of the US/Thailand treaty agreement.

Did you have any trouble getting used to driving 'on the right' side of the road? I haven't done it in over twenty years and I am a bit worried about that...

I hadn't driven on the right in 8 years when I went back.  I was fine after an hour or so...  Just like I was fine after an hour of driving in Thailand, first time I drove on the left.  Take it easy for a while, especially since you'll probably be starting off at an airport rental lot. 

I had a Thai friend come visit me and she did fine in spite of never having driven on the right.  

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Changing driving from one side to the other is fine, at first.

It is a week or so later that you suddenly find you are not concentrating so much and drive down the wrong side, especially on unmarked roads or car parks where there are no helpful signs.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, briley said:

It is a week or so later that you suddenly find you are not concentrating so much and drive down the wrong side, especially on unmarked roads or car parks where there are no helpful signs.

I always found it easier in a car than on a scooter or a bicycle where you're not sitting on the side of the vehicle with oncoming traffic.

• Like 1

That makes sense. I guess muscle memory is one of out greatest assets, but only up to a point. I figure my driving experiences here (with all the ghost riding and mayhem) will make driving back in the states seems pleasurable by comparison, once I make the necessary adjustments.

2 hours ago, briley said:

Exactly, like the recent case where an American killed a Brit driving on the "wrong side of the road".