Government planning stronger measures to deal with pollution: Varawut

webfact

Government planning stronger measures to deal with pollution: Varawut

By The Nation

800_bc6963260200011.jpg?v=1578983974

Natural Resources and Environment Minister Varawut Silpa-archa has said the government is preparing stronger measures to tackle the dust and air pollution problem.

He said seeking public cooperation by upgrading and cleaning car engines had only helped maintain the status quo. He said 72 per cent of the problem in Bangkok came from vehicles -- 20 per cent from trucks, 20 per cent from pickup trucks, the industrial sector 18 per cent and other types of cars 14 per cent.

He said the government was looking at adopting the South Korean model of not allowing car use in the city.

Varawut added that the weather also played a part in the problem as there was a low-pressure cover over the area at the beginning of the year, which will get weaker in the middle of the year allowing the dust particles to be blown away.

He said the deputy PM had directed traffic police to closely monitor and arrest cars releasing black smoke.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380538

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-14

As cars, pickups and trucks get their annual inspection and exhaust particulates are measured on the day any exceeding the standard should be given 2 weeks to rectify the problem or have registration refused and the vehicle earmarked for destruction.  No exceptions.  With farmers burning off simply confiscate the land. Which is easy to do if the land has been given for farm use by the King.....maybe a little harder if it's Nor. Sor. 4 Jor. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Not when your house, office, car, mia noi's condo and 'spa' have air filters and ac.

Outdoors is for poor people.

The shopping malls where they buy their expensive clothes and other stuff don´t have. Also rich people like to sit in their gardens and balconies what they can´t do now. Or do you think they only like to stay inside and can´t use their pools?

22 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

HiSo Thai's sitting in gardens and swimming outdoors ..... in the sun!  ????????????????

12 minutes ago, johng said:

A true Hi-so would have indoor gardens and swimming pools...without that nasty UV

Surprise, surprise, the sun is not shining 24 hours per day. And I wonder why 100 MB and much more expensive real estates have outdoor pools. Perhaps only for the staff ????????????

56 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

As cars, pickups and trucks get their annual inspection and exhaust particulates are measured on the day any exceeding the standard should be given 2 weeks to rectify the problem or have registration refused and the vehicle earmarked for destruction.  No exceptions.  With farmers burning off simply confiscate the land. Which is easy to do if the land has been given for farm use by the King.....maybe a little harder if it's Nor. Sor. 4 Jor. 

Don't know your nationality John, but for many years in the UK on the annual strict vehicle check (M.O.T. test) a pipe is shoved up the exhaust (ooh er missus) and a reading is taken just after the vehicle has been revved, obviously with a stationary vehicle. Before I came to Thailand I had a diesel van and the revs the M.O.T. tester produced before the reading used to make me squirm and cringe. Wow...who would drive at those revs?? A fail? get it sorted and re-tested. I'm sorry I can't remember the timescale for ANY rectification.

22 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Surprise, surprise, the sun is not shining 24 hours per day. And I wonder why 100 MB and much more expensive real estates have outdoor pools. Perhaps only for the staff ????????????

Mainly to show off. Maybe once every few months somebody will actually use the pool.

• Like 1

"Planning, preparing, seeking, looking at, directed, closely monitor"

You ****** fruitcake.

You haven't got a clue, and this should have been your agenda a year ago, not when Thailand is Top 10 worst air in the world...again.

...may as well add this to your "Reasons to blame lack of tourism for that are out of our control".

Fail.

• Like 1

Surprise, surprise. The usual nonsense is spoken and not one mention of the main reason for the smog all over the country. Pollution isn't only impacting Bangkok, but I guess this guy doesn't bother checking the country wide AQI. 

44 minutes ago, BRUFC said:

Before I came to Thailand I had a diesel van and the revs the M.O.T. tester produced before the reading used to make me squirm and cringe. Wow...who would drive at those revs?? A fail? get it sorted and re-tested. I'm sorry I can't remember the timescale for ANY rectification.

It's the same here, but miraculously, they pass ????

6 hours ago, BRUFC said:

Don't know your nationality John, but for many years in the UK on the annual strict vehicle check (M.O.T. test) a pipe is shoved up the exhaust (ooh er missus) and a reading is taken just after the vehicle has been revved, obviously with a stationary vehicle. Before I came to Thailand I had a diesel van and the revs the M.O.T. tester produced before the reading used to make me squirm and cringe. Wow...who would drive at those revs?? A fail? get it sorted and re-tested. I'm sorry I can't remember the timescale for ANY rectification.

Yeah remember it was fingers crossed everytime I put my diesel Mondeo through the MOT. Always used to run it flat out along the motorway for 5 minutes just before the test to blow all the soot out. Do the same here in Thailand and the tester has remarked how low my emissions are on my 13 year old Triton compared to many old bangers.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, johng said:

Absolutely no mention of  "idiots" burning the forests, crop fields and household rubbish...its all vehicles ! :crazy:

Right out of the gate they fail. They blamed other countries for years and now they blame their cars. They are all imbeciles of the highest order. All

of them, top to bottom.

I have a great idea Start banning Diesel engines. Tell automakers first they cannot sell anymore diesel cars. Give the trucking industry 5 years to come up with a solution and implement it Tell the private sector they have 5 years to switch over to petrol or electric or face  ban within city limits

They love the people to have diesel powered pick-ups.....make 'em cheap and that'll do for the peasants........the environment doesn't matter.

Then of course, tax locally produced electric and economical petrol sedans so freakin' expensive for a family sized vehicle and push more into trucks.

Promise to stop fuming cars, trucks and buses operating, but in reality, do nothing.

Way to go!