Visa Options; Not Married, Not Retired, Overseas Job/income

Lots of information here, but it seems for guys like me, there is no long-term visa, and my only

option is to apply for a 2m tourist-visa + 1m extension, every three monts, in some neighbouring country.

Correct? Or can anybody think of a better/safer option?

Currently I'm here on a three months single-entry non-imm o, which expires

in one month. I then plan to ask for a 30 day extension, and then I will go either go to KL for a

60 days (?) tv, or to maesai for a 30 day visa exemption, depending on whether I will need to go visit

my employer before july, or after july.

My situation is as follows. While studying muay thai here for half a year last year, met a girl, went back

to my country (Norway) for half a year, decided I want to "try things out" with the girl I met here, and

my employer agreed to let me try and work from Thailand. So far so good.

Maybe someday I will want to mary this girl, and then I can apply for visa based on marriage,

but that day is not here yet. Know what I mean?

So, I am working full-time in Thailand, have the usual monthly salary, but from an overseas employer,

into my regular overseas bank account.

I'm assuming that eventually I will have stayed here for more than half a year, at which point

I would be legally required to pay some income tax? Not researched that yet.

I'm very happy with my company/boss, and even if the salary would be comparable in Thailand, I would

not want to change.

This also means, I do not have time for any full-time job here in Thailand, even if I could fine one.

(I'm not sure how easy/difficult that would be; I have a M.Sc. in computer science, but my area of work/interest

is in a rather limited niche of this field (embedded/unix programming).)

I also have a "degree" of some sort as "swimming instructor", and have worked with that in my

home country, as a part-time/"hobby' thing. I wouldn't mind getting a part-time job

in that area, but I guess there would be even less chance of

using that to help. I neither speak thai, nor can I imagine part-time salary from that kind

of job meeting any income requirements for salary. I'm not sure what those requirements

are though.

I know some people get education visa's, but, well, I have my degree and are not

interested in any full-time study, nor do I have time for that, working full-time already.

I guess if I did enroll in some school with the correct papers, there would be problems

after I did not show up. Or does somebody know of a more "flexible" school perhaps?

I'm staying in Chiang Mai.

I'm not a "rich old farang", so those "elite visa" cards or whatever would not be an option to

me even if they still existed, but I could probably afford to pay sunbelt, or somebody, for

b-visa documents if that would give me a multiple-entry one year,

but it seems that is also not an option after last years rule-change.

I'll be going back to Norway for some weeks around July, but unforunatly the embassy

there is nowhere near as friendly as some others I read about here, and would only

give people a single 3m.

So, I think I am out of luck here, or can other, more knowledgable members here, see other options?

Regards,

I don't know how open your work is but if you are found working without a work permit you could have another problem.

Right now can say you will not receive any 30 day extension of your 90 day stay so that needs to be planned for. Visa exempt entry is not something for the long haul I suspect. Tourist visas may work, at least for awhile.

I don't know how open your work is but if you are found working without a work permit you could have another problem.

Hmm, I would think it was ok to "work from home" for non-Thai company, but I am no lawyer, so I could

be wrong. Obviously (?) I can not get a work permit working for a non-Thai company?

Right now can say you will not receive any 30 day extension of your 90 day stay so that needs to be planned for. Visa exempt entry is not something for the long haul I suspect. Tourist visas may work, at least for awhile.

Oh, that's a surprise for me. Why will I not get a 30 day extension? From what I've read here, it

seems to be expected to get that, though the posts here have mostly mentioned

60d tv. Does the same not apply to 90d visas?

It only applies to a tourist visa (60 day entry).

Any work requires a work permit. The question is how visible your work is and if anyone might decide to turn you in. It is not likely that anyone would come knocking on your door looking otherwise. There are provisions to set up branch office type of setup but that would require more than general knowledge and would highly recommend law firm for that (such as Sunbelt). This could also provide visa status at some point.

It only applies to a tourist visa (60 day entry).

Well, that's usefull information. Now I know I need to change my plans.

Thanks

Edited by Awk