Cabinet allows greater imports of potatoes, onions from Australia, New Zealand under trade pacts

webfact

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

The importation of vegetables under the Australia & NZ trade pact will be minimal as they will be far too expensive for local consumers and the purchases from farang will be so tiny that the importer will not bother as the fruit will rot before it is sold. 

They have large piles of potatoes in the Makro, but those ones are not good for frying.

6 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

This is good news. Some of the potatoes sold here, presumably from China, are so hard I'm scared to buy them. Does anybody know why the potatoes here are as hard as rocks?

Quite.  The last ones I bought looked like something you'd find buried in the ground.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

About 50 where I come from: https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luettelo_Suomen_perunalajikkeista . Some are seasonal. You can only dream of such here.

EDIT: there seems to even be an European organization for potatoes: https://www.europotato.org/

In the USA, you primarily see Idaho (for baking, big Spud style), round white boilers,  and Yukon Gold Boilers. Idahos and The Ordinary Boilers have that darker brown, scalier skin, while the Yukon Golds (which you can bake too) have that same skin as the ones in the markets (meaning street), sort of yellowy and smooth? The ones here are almost the same colour inside as the Golds, but a bit lighter and they arent as potatoey, here they are a bit starchier.

Id love to know what species they are. 

Now I truly dig on a properly baked and served Idaho Spud, sized about as big as a softball, steaming and fluffy, accoutramented as they say with a dollop of sweet butter, a schmear of sour cream, some crumbled REAL hickory smoked bacon and a sprinkle of chives, or even better, carefully hollowed out like a steaming potato bowl and then filled, and dont be skimpy with it, filled with spicy Texas Chile and COVERED (let me emphasize that word) with Shredded Mexican Cheese....that being said, the ones sold here make a lovely mash, and the other day I even made a serviceble mustard potato salad out of them. 

You can thank fasting and the bong for that then.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Check the sides of the cardboard boxes. Chinese. I guess there's a real free trade thing going on in there.

On the boxes of chinese potatoes is printed: "Potato Holland"...made in china..????

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

On the boxes of chinese potatoes is printed: "Potato Holland"...made in china..????

Ah, thanks, now we know which is the "rock" variety.

Holland potato

In the United states they are referred to as 'Irish Potatoes' because at one point they did come from Ireland. In China they are called 'Holland Potatoes. ' In China's northeast they call them tu dou, in the north shan you, and in the southwest and the northwest they are called yang yu.

Found with google.

8 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Good, we may be able to buy half decent spuds in the future

Villa supermarket sells Thorpdale spuds,by far the best quality spuds you can buy in Australia,all the big wholesalers loved them,I carted 1000s bags of them.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Good, we may be able to buy half decent spuds in the future

''➤ Importers must use those produce for their own manufacturing and processing. Resale and transfer of the produce is not allowed.''

No, sorry, we can't enjoy it. They have to turn it into 'Smash' (Brits will understand) or pig food.

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Ah, thanks, now we know which is the "rock" variety.

Found with google.

Holland is a potato expert country...we also export them worldwide and we have improved varieties which don't get certain diseases...i guess that's what china is growing...they just tell Holland but for sure they have a variety name....

No idea which one you call rock but this is not a good potato since we can't fry it.

2 minutes ago, BRUFC said:

Smash

Ill tell you, that those packets of dehydrated, dried, processed, fat ridden, ersatz just add berling water and fluff Smash are damn tasty, and I bet I could blindfold the snootiest potato sommelier in the known universe and put a steaming bowl of my special pouchpotato  in front of him and he would swear on her holy ankles that they were real!

Many was the night I just sat in front of the roaring fire in Alaska and mushed pouchpotato smash into my mouth! Now I need real bangers!

2 minutes ago, BRUFC said:

Smash

Ill tell you, that those packets of dehydrated, dried, processed, fat ridden, ersatz just add berling water and fluff Smash are damn tasty, and I bet I could blindfold the snootiest potato sommelier in the known universe and put a steaming bowl of my special pouchpotato  in front of him and he would swear on her holy ankles that they were real!

Many was the night I just sat in front of the roaring fire in Alaska and mushed pouchpotato smash into my mouth! Now I need real bangers!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Mate, I think you're a Yank who supports Millwall ( someone has to I suppose) and you talk about 'bangers'. You know about Smash but for the benefit of our Aussie friends, what do you think of their snags?

1 minute ago, BRUFC said:

Mate, I think you're a Yank who supports Millwall

Man U because Im a Yank. Millwall because they have the best motto. Tottenham because they are the YA. Wolves because of that massive stud Traore (the guy could play in the NFL), their Radiation warning Badge and the coaches name is Holy Spirit! 

Now that thats settled dude, to be honest, Ive never had a real Snag. None thats imported into the USA for sure. Do they have some here? What are they like? A banger? Or a Brat? Do they use Roos or Ewes? Where can I get them?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Man U because Im a Yank. Millwall because they have the best motto. Tottenham because they are the YA. Wolves because of that massive stud Traore (the guy could play in the NFL), their Radiation warning Badge and the coaches name is Holy Spirit! 

Now that thats settled dude, to be honest, Ive never had a real Snag. None thats imported into the USA for sure. Do they have some here? What are they like? A banger? Or a Brat? Do they use Roos or Ewes? Where can I get them?

Well written!

I'm sorry, all I've seen here are frankfurter type things. I didn't eat them in UK and I won't eat them here. Same goes for KFC, McD, Burger King, Starbucks and Isaan 'pickled' fish stuff that's been stewing for yonks.( I don't know what that's called)

A poster, 'Huckenfall', I think, posted about KING sausages available at his local Makro. 220 baht from memory. I've been to Nakhon Nayok Makro several times since but all I see are frankfurter type things.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Cumberland sausage, boerewors, chorizo or bratwurst?

14 minutes ago, BRUFC said:

RE. Millwall FC. I've been educated ....We Fear No Foe Where E'er We Go.

Must be the crazies in the stands, not the gentlemanly players. Lol.

No its No One Likes Us We Dont Care.

????

No one likes us,

No one likes us,

No one likes us, 

We Dont Care!

We are Millwall,

Super Millwall
We are Millwall

from The Den!

To me, that is one of the all time greatest Sporting Anthems ever. Maybe tied with Kate Smiths "God Bless America" back at the Bully Days in the Spectrum.

Just now, Lacessit said:

Cumberland sausage, boerewors, chorizo or bratwurst?

So OZ Brats are true Brats then? Get them in The Land of Liberty I can.

Same with the Chorizo? Ditto. 

Now the first two sound interesting pray tell.

Just now, Nyezhov said:

No its No One Likes Us We Dont Care.

????

No one likes us,

No one likes us,

No one likes us, 

We Dont Care!

We are Millwall,

Super Millwall
We are Millwall

from The Den!

To me, that is one of the all time greatest Sporting Anthems ever. Maybe tied with Kate Smiths "God Bless America" back at the Bully Days in the Spectrum.

BS. Liverpool has the best anthem of all. Can't be bettered.

• Haha 1

Just now, Nyezhov said:

So OZ Brats are true Brats then? Get them in The Land of Liberty I can.

Same with the Chorizo? Ditto. 

Now the first two sound interesting pray tell.

You can get Cumberland sausage in Thailand. Or an imitation. AFAIK it's got rosemary and sage.

Boerewors is South African. Can't tell you what the spices are, made from lamb or beef. Quite chewy, as it is mainly cartilage, not meat. Very tasty. Can get it in Oz, have not seen it here.

My vote is split between the Cumberland and boerewors, with sai ua coming in third. I've never been brave enough to ask what is in sai ua.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

BS. Liverpool has the best anthem of all. Can't be bettered.

Sorry dude, trite tear jerkers by Gerry and the Pacemakers dont put me in the mood for a testosterone spew. That one is good for girls soccer or a ladies church croquette tournament. I hear tunes like that I reach for water cress finger sarnies  and Pims Cup instead of A FAT JUICY BRAT SMOTHERED IN IMPORTED ONIONS and a beer, how that for a segue back on topic?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Boerewors is South African. Can't tell you what the spices are, made from lamb or beef. Quite chewy, as it is mainly cartilage, not meat. Very tasty. Can get it in Oz, have not seen it here.

See thats something I would dive into on a day my teeth arent hurting. I like all that dried offal stuff.