Rolls Royce of Toilets

tom in bangkok

I've had the Toto catalogue on my shelf for a long time while I decide which toilet to buy for my new house in Bangkok. I really want the Toto Neorest NX1 (the Rolls Royce of toilets) but it's 200k THB and is not something I have any hope of justifying to my other half. I think I can get away with the Washlet GG for about 63k THB but I want to know what your thoughts are about Toto bogs.

The difference between the two models seems to just be the design and material(?) used for the unit and the lack of "electrolysed antibacterial" water. I'm sure I can negotiate the price down as well.

A bum gun is great and certainly better than dry wiping, but comforts such as anal laser-precision bidets are part of the little things in life that help.

• Haha 1

Having had many years of experience of using the upscale versions as well as more modest ones, the higher up the price scale you go the more useless the features for home use they get. 

The main advantages they have, in Japan, are heated seats (wonderful when the temperature is -10C) heated water to spray (again great when the water supply is at about 4C) variability of spray direction (male/female) variability of spray strength. Air blow drying (again good in sub zero weather).

Then you get the features that work in public settings, sounds (to hide the female tinkle when in use), auto seat lifting, auto rinse before use, auto flush, auto paper cover of the seat area, non touch flush activation etc.

So my personal opinion is that most of the features are of little benefit in tropical Thailand in a private home unless your health and mobility are so compromised that the functions will actually help. SWMBO, who also has had extensive experience of them, thought that they are a waste of money when a reasonably high end toilet is about 25k and is arguably more comfortable.

The single big advantage is that you can demonstrate that you can pay as much for a toilet as it can cost to build a house. So bragging rights? Or conspicuous consumption.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shoot the works, go for the most expensive! The wife can invite relatives, friends and neighbours around and gain face by having married a rich, kind farang! Win win.

Edited by PatOngo

• 1 month later...

I work on a very large private yacht and after 1 year, the owner decided he didn't like the toilets, so we changed them to a different model...

All 32 of them, at a cost of just over 65,000 euro !!

The others went in the skip, some of which has never seen a dump or pee... 

He has too much money for sure ????

Edited by cornishcarlos
  • Like 1