Widespread sugarcane burning continues uninterrupted by local authorities

snoop1130

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Good ol' boys club in action and starts to get even clearer why absolutely nothing will be done.

If they wanted to take action all they have to do is ban the mills from buying burnt cane - easy, but costly for them!

The end user, the "good old boys" club that makes all the money, they are never mentioned, easy to create bad publicity for the "Farmers" who have no recourse to what the government propaganda rags print, not as stupid as some people think are they?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

And following the money .. there's one who apparently is benefiting from this switch. Explains the subsidies. Good ol' boys club in action and starts to get even clearer why absolutely nothing will be done.

What subsidies? they was none to switch from rice to cane ,and this year there is no subsidies at all ,with the drought and low yields ,yields are down by 50%, most cane farmers will be losing  money ,that is certainly the case in this area ,750 baht/ton this year, lower than the past 2-3 years .

As I have wrote before ,most of the farmers in our country's get subsidies  for nearly all they crops  the Federal government in the USA and the EU in Europe ,more than most farmers here in Thailand . 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CGW said:

disagree that it is bad for the land - its not.

Wrong. Here are the results of a study published in 2018:

Pre-harvest burning negatively affected the major soil fertility indicators (Organic Matter, N and EC) of came plantation, impair the health of the inhabitants residing in the vicinity of the plantation and also aggravate the moisture loss of cane after harvest. The loss of the biomass and the subsequent decline in SOM and total N might, therefore, play a role for the yield decline being observed in the sugar estates.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, canopy said:

Wrong again. They are in poverty because they grow antiquated subsistence farming size plots which are not competitive with modern, efficient growers around the world. 10 rai worked for subsistence, not anymore. Today Thai farmers have become a burden to the tax payer. Torching the fields and dousing them with horrible poisons is doing more harm than good and it's a painful truth the farmers cannot accept. And it is incredibly stupid to tell everyone around you "hey i'm burning stuff every year to save a baht and a lot of you will suffer and get sick and end up in the hospital." And then our hearts melt and we all end up feeling sorry for them and prop up this failed system which only assures a deeper, longer cycle of poverty for the farmers and poor health of the inhabitants. Great system.

Yes, selling all the land to big corporations to grow genetically modified Frankenstein food, and making all the rural population homeless, like we did in the west,  is such a better idea. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, canopy said:

They are in poverty because they grow antiquated subsistence farming size plots which are not competitive with modern, efficient growers around the world.

Yes the system is flawed,but a landless farmer is not going to invest in his future without land reform.

These farmers don't see the subsidies and will continue on the same methods. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Govt blames public for PM2.5 levels

Here we go, you can not make it up.....straight from the PM's mouth....Time for enforcement of the laws on the books to help us all.  But then according to that certain person in power it would not be good because financially they could not afford the fines!!!!!

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, selling all the land to big corporations to grow genetically modified Frankenstein food, and making all the rural population homeless, like we did in the west,  is such a better idea. 

I don't know what the future is, but when I look around Thailand's failed system of poor farmers and poor quality produce coming from them I am sure that is not it. Thailand's produce is extremely unhealthy and poisons they use are banned or extremely curtailed in the first world. Not only is the health of the people being trampled on, so is that of the environment. Thailand should have healthier food, richer farmers, and a cleaner environment instead of propping up this failed, downward spiral of burning and poisoning everything.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, canopy said:

Wrong again. They are in poverty because they grow antiquated subsistence farming size plots which are not competitive with modern, efficient growers around the world. 10 rai worked for subsistence, not anymore. Today Thai farmers have become a burden to the tax payer. Torching the fields and dousing them with horrible poisons is doing more harm than good and it's a painful truth the farmers cannot accept. And it is incredibly stupid to tell everyone around you "hey i'm burning stuff every year to save a baht and a lot of you will suffer and get sick and end up in the hospital." And then our hearts melt and we all end up feeling sorry for them and prop up this failed system which only assures a deeper, longer cycle of poverty for the farmers and poor health of the inhabitants. Great system.

It was called I think the "Sufficiency Economy" and is therefore beyond criticism. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, canopy said:

However this is a landmark admission. In past years poor air was always blamed on Burma, the weather, and other factors. Never was it Thai people's fault. Putting blame where it belongs is an unprecedented and also a necessary step towards change.

Baby jackboot steps as it were. 

Poverty and sheer weight of survival necessity prompts much of the burning by many. 
it’s easy to say “stupid, ignorant, selfish, instant satisfaction / result Thais”. As a falang it appears to me that my country is the epitome of selfish ME thinking and that Thais aren’t set apart in this way of thinking and living.

its falangs that invented plastic and mass marked it to the world, falangs that drove and drive capitalist growth/profit shaped economics.

perhaps a tad of humility might be in order for a load of our, dare I say it; arrogant ar..s (butts).

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, overherebc said:

Well nobody they know died from it last year or looks like dying from it this year so next year will still be ok.

Let's go to the end of cinism ..
25,000 to 30,000 road deaths each year and zero deaths from fires in the sugar cane fields;
let's start by deleting the vehicles on the roads or better, delete the roads themselves.
What do you think ?

I don't care , I have my MTBike can go everywhere even without a road ..

I think that I'm becoming as stupid as a Thai :wacko:

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CGW said:

Thats fantastic, maybe you would like to share where you are, appears there is a hidden place in Isaan I for one know nothing about, you could also share per capita income and why the education and housing is so much better in your area?

I too would like to know where, in which province in Isaan;
in any case in mine, Sakon Nakhon and that which touches Udon Thani, the fields of sugar cane burn every night;
I should have tried a photo last night;
far from my home, can be ten km, on the horizon, towards Song Dao I think, a magnificent red / orange color which clearly indicated to me that one or more fields were burning.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rhyddid said:

SOLUTION

TAX 1000% sugar factories or what ever sugar product !

Why not ?

Sugar produced by refining cane or beet is a poison for the human organism; (salt too but for other reasons)
let's go back to what our ancestors did;
use honey or other natural products.

Ah yes, but I think about it, honey is produced by domestic or wild bees;
however these animals are decimated by the chemicals invented by the men  and manufactured by Bayer which is owner of Monsanto.
In fact Humanite likes to hurt itself ...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I too would like to know where, in which province in Isaan;

No reply from OP, Why do these posters come on, post rubbish then keep quiet, what is the point in that! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

It is different. Instead of only the people in the north, now most of the country is choking.

It is exactly the same when there is a flood;
as long as it does not touch Bangkok, the authorities do not care;
The rest of Thailand can be under 2 meters of muddy water,
Bangkok is not, the authorities do not move.
but there, in addition to industrial and automobile pollution, smoke from the cane fields arrives in Bangkok and the authorities discover the extent of the disaster that affects all of Thailand.
I think it is too late , except to use the army to go and do the work for which the police are paid ... but which they refuse to do for multiple reasons;
to start with this one:

the police are generally local people because they bought their place and were not appointed according to their results on the final exam.
It is impossible for a cop to go and fine his brother-in-law or his father ...

• Like 2