Bangkok: Returning the sidewalks to the people - drivers/riders fined 21.5 million in 18 months

webfact

Bangkok: Returning the sidewalks to the people - drivers/riders fined 21.5 million in 18 months

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A meeting of municipal workers in Bangkok was told that more than 21.5 million baht in fines has been collected from motorcyclists and car drivers illegally using the sidewalks of the city to park, drive and ride. 

It is all part of the authorities plans to return the capital's sidewalks to the people, reported Daily News.

A first meeting of tessakit officials in 2020 chaired by deputy governor Sakonthee Patthiyakun heard that the crackdown on motorcyclists in particular was a real cash cow for the authorities. 

From the 9th of July 2018 to 19th January 2020 there had been 28,775 cases that resulted in 3,875 warnings and 22,093 prosecutions. A further 2,084 are in progress. 

Fines collected were 21,519,700 baht. 

Since January first 821,500 baht has been collected in fines in 408 cases. Of these 378 were regular members of the public, 20 were motorcycle taxi riders and 10 were Grab riders. 

In addition illegal roadside signage is netting the authorities plenty in fines. From May 2018 to now 3,405 fines were issued resulting in 10,844,400 baht for the city's coffers. 

Fines for illegal signage this year alone totalled 127,100 baht. 

Measures to stop taxi ranks using footpaths are continuing with 299 out of 1,255 having so far been found alternative places to set up their operations. 

Picture: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-22

5 minutes ago, justin case said:

put CCTV at every red light... most asswipes they can run a red one, while people try to cross

Crosswalks and pedestrians mean absolutely nothing to them because only going forward is all that matters. 

I'll never forget riding in the passenger seat with a few woman drivers and they scared the <deleted> out of me because I thought for sure they were going to nail someone either in a crosswalk or simply just walking down the road.

Scepticism yet again.

Why would fines 'be put to good use '? Fines are imposed as a punishment, which is a good use in my opinion. I know of no other jurisdiction that 'puts fines to good use'.

Fines collected come to some 21.5 million. A huge sum, and salutary and punitive and having an affect.

This article is being used to tell people, use the footpaths to ride on or drive on and get caught, you pay.

Good for them, I say.

• Confused 1

Maybe Pattaya could use this kind of money. I see the no parking signs outside South Pattaya road Kasikorn bank have been removed and the front is once again a motorcycle parking area with drivers riding on the sidewalk to get to the parking. Watched a policeman on a motorcycle ride the wrong way on the dual carriageway by Rompo market in Jomtien yesterday.

But did the people being fined learn anything?

Or is the fine so small (affordable) that they just pay it and continue business as usual? A fine is supposed to be a deterrent, not based on what is affordable!

• Like 1

this is good news for the local councils but just think if they were to enforce the no smoking rule in public buildings, at 5,000thb a pop the amount collected would be mind boggling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!