Information and advice for Lopburi

BUSBY

I am thinking of moving to Lopburi and would appreciate helpful, experienced advice of the area.

Immigration, hospitals.nearest airport connections and renting a property to name a few.

Local meeting places for farang and shopping facilities also please.

Is there a local dedicated forum.

Anything helpful would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Busby

Apologies Ubonjoe,

I put it on the visa forum to initially enquire about immigration for Lopburi but understand as there are several non related visa questions in my post.

Thank you for moving it for me.

Busby

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, bit late but...

Immigration: Have one which is about 10-15 minute drive form city centre, easy to go, easy to find. Usually very few people and very fast, but have terrible English and usually only speak Thai.

hospitals: Never been to any here, but they have a few government and a couple private ones in the city. One of the government hospitals King Narai Hospital gets a lot of interns from top universities in Thailand - so probably quite good?

airport connections: Only way to Bangkok is minibus or drive by yourself. Can get a taxi too I guess? Same for all provinces I think.

renting a property: I rent small clean townhouse two bedrooms, no furniture around 3000. Apartments are about the same price, they are considerably smaller but come with all the furniture you need. Detached house is about 5000 a month to rent and just increases after that depending on size and whether its furnished.

Local meeting places for farang: No idea, never see much farang here

shopping facilities: big market 3 days a week known as banana banana, have robinsons and two big c's, 2 cinemas in total - SF at Robinsons and Major at Big C.

Lopburi is boring as f***, I really don't recommend living here, in the city there are a lot of monkeys who will steal anything that they will grab; whether it is your phone, your wallet or your hat. It makes it difficult to park in the city and the monkeys will f*** up your car.

But if you really want to come live here... then you're welcome, locals are shy but friendly, English is not used - good for practising Thai. ????

Hiya Finnc,

Many thanks for the much appreciated information.

I was wondering if anyone had seen my enquiry after it was moved to the new location.

We have a couple of Thai friends / families who live there and have asked us to consider moving, hence the enquiry.

So much relevant information and I will now discuss things with my wife.

We are planning on a visit to see them so I can check things out further with the help of your post as a guide to go by.

Take care and a big thank you again

Busby

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 7:32 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Whenever I look at my Thai air pollution app I see red in or near Lopburi. I don't know if that is only one little part of that area or the whole area. I would check it out before I would move to that place.

Screenshot_2020-02-20-19-27-31-893_com.kathistudio.air4thaimobile.thumb.jpg.45b44f2ea068383839ee46236e6f9a59.jpg

Thanks for the heads up OMF, I will certainly take this into account and investigate it further when I meet up with my friends there. along with Finnc's appreciated observations from living there.

Busby

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 1:06 PM, Finnc99 said:

Sorry, bit late but...

Immigration: Have one which is about 10-15 minute drive form city centre, easy to go, easy to find. Usually very few people and very fast, but have terrible English and usually only speak Thai.

hospitals: Never been to any here, but they have a few government and a couple private ones in the city. One of the government hospitals King Narai Hospital gets a lot of interns from top universities in Thailand - so probably quite good?

airport connections: Only way to Bangkok is minibus or drive by yourself. Can get a taxi too I guess? Same for all provinces I think.

renting a property: I rent small clean townhouse two bedrooms, no furniture around 3000. Apartments are about the same price, they are considerably smaller but come with all the furniture you need. Detached house is about 5000 a month to rent and just increases after that depending on size and whether its furnished.

Local meeting places for farang: No idea, never see much farang here

shopping facilities: big market 3 days a week known as banana banana, have robinsons and two big c's, 2 cinemas in total - SF at Robinsons and Major at Big C.

Lopburi is boring as f***, I really don't recommend living here, in the city there are a lot of monkeys who will steal anything that they will grab; whether it is your phone, your wallet or your hat. It makes it difficult to park in the city and the monkeys will f*** up your car.

But if you really want to come live here... then you're welcome, locals are shy but friendly, English is not used - good for practising Thai. ????

About sums Lopburi up ,there is a train to Bangkok about 3 -3 1/2 hours ,and there is I think a bus from the bus station ,and about the best cup of coffee in town 45 baht, to my knowledge they is no taxi service.

It is a bit quite ,but so are most rural cities .the OP could look at living out of town a bit ,housing would be cheaper ,the area around Sub Lec is not bad 15 km from town .

Immigration is ok ,but if you are on retirement extension  ,could be the same marriage extension , money has to be in the bank for 3 months .

As for air pollution ,I suppose that would affect me I live 40 km from the town in a rural area ,now the sugar cane mill is shut the air should be cleaner ,but this year cane burning was down by 80% .

They is a anther 2 sugar mill within 40 km of lopburi ,the <deleted> they put out of they chimnes is where a lot  of the poor quality air comes from ,and 20 km down  the road near  Saraburi is Nar Palan ,once known as the dirtest  town in Thailand due to the cement works and all the quarrying ,mainly stone for concrete ,they have cleaned up they act a lot  since then ,but with  the sugar mills and the above works would not help with clean air.