Marriage requirements for two UK nationals - are they serious?

Empty Nester

My fiancé and I went to Bang Rak district office to complete what we believed to be the final administrative stage of getting married - we had followed all posted guidelines and recommendations and acquired affirmations of freedom to marry from the British Embassy - had all relevant documents officially translated and legalised at the Dept of Foreign Affairs and thought the final stage was registration at the Amphur. Apparently not. We had to submit documents and now wait up to 6 weeks while who knows who looks at the legalised and translated documents - in addition to the registrar we saw today - and I’ve been told I have to have a certification from a doctor to say I’m not pregnant?! Is this an April Fool? This was not mentioned on any posts from anyone else in the same position. Why is it made so hard for two nationals of another country to get married here? 

24 minutes ago, Empty Nester said:

Why is it made so hard for two nationals of another country to get married here?

Because, in reality it is much easier to marry in your home country. Why in the world complicate everything by getting married in a foreign country?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Because, in reality it is much easier to marry in your home country. Why in the world complicate everything by getting married in a foreign country?

So that you don't have to pay for people who you don't want to invite but have to out of courtesy.

Edited by thisisrascal

I don't think there's any such thing as an 'anchor baby' recognized in Thai immigration law. So maybe some jobsworth who, despite working at Bang Rak which is still probably the busiest amphur for registering marriages in the country, has never had to deal with two foreigners wishing to register their marriage here so they're making it up as they go along.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I don't think there's any such thing as an 'anchor baby' recognized in Thai immigration law.

I was curious, so I looked it up. Yeah, you're right. Apparently, "jus sanguinis" (right of the blood) applies, so nationality of the child is dependent on the nationality of the parents, not place of birth. There is an exception for two permanent residents but I would imagine cases where that arises are extremely rare.

I guess you divorced within the last 310 (?) days. In that case it is mandatory bij law, simply to protect the rights of the father of the child should you indeed be pregnant as the child would otherwise not be legally his child but of your new husband.

12 hours ago, Empty Nester said:

My fiancé and I went to Bang Rak district office to complete what we believed to be the final administrative stage of getting married - we had followed all posted guidelines and recommendations and acquired affirmations of freedom to marry from the British Embassy - had all relevant documents officially translated and legalised at the Dept of Foreign Affairs and thought the final stage was registration at the Amphur. Apparently not. We had to submit documents and now wait up to 6 weeks while who knows who looks at the legalised and translated documents - in addition to the registrar we saw today - and I’ve been told I have to have a certification from a doctor to say I’m not pregnant?! Is this an April Fool? This was not mentioned on any posts from anyone else in the same position. Why is it made so hard for two nationals of another country to get married here? 

Should have just tried another Amphur office, they all have their own rules.

• Like 1