Global assessment team praises Thailand’s alcohol consumption control

rooster59

43 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

high-ranking officials responsible for the country’s alcohol consumption control and the international alcohol control assessment team, comprising representatives of the Thai government, the World Health Organization (WHO), and the United Nations.

What a mouthful of a job description... One of those cushy jobs where you get paid  a bundle with all the benefits just for putting out useless information... I'd like to have this kind of job, How do you get a job like that?...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MartinL said:

I'm absolutely amazed at the number of her friends, workmates and acquaintances who my wife tells me have died of mareng dtap = 'liver cancer' - which i suspect is a catch-all for many liver diseases, maybe also gall bladder disease - over the years. i think there were 5 last year alone. In EVERY case, she's followed-up the news of their death with "He used to drink so much ... ".

Liver cancer was a rarity when I was in UK but so common here. 

Can also be caused by liver flukes that come from undercooked fish and home made "million year old fish sauce". Very common in Esarn. My father-in-law died from it.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

BANGKOK(NNT) - The National Alcohol Policy Committee and an international alcohol control assessment team have lauded Thailand’s alcohol control measures and many outstanding achievements, while commenting that the country is a role model for the region.

Does this mean we drink more than any other regional nation........LOL

• Like 1

"After the meeting, the Deputy Minister of Public Health, Sathit Pitutecha, and Prof. Dr. Sally Casswell, the head of the international alcohol control assessment team, jointly announced Thailand’s outstanding success in controling alcohol consumption in the country, saying Thailand can be used as a good example for other countries in Asia."

Where is this "joint announcement?"

...or was it made in Thai, after Dr. Sally boarded her flight?

6 hours ago, MartinL said:

I'm absolutely amazed at the number of her friends, workmates and acquaintances who my wife tells me have died of mareng dtap = 'liver cancer' - which i suspect is a catch-all for many liver diseases, maybe also gall bladder disease - over the years. i think there were 5 last year alone. In EVERY case, she's followed-up the news of their death with "He used to drink so much ... ".

Liver cancer was a rarity when I was in UK but so common here. 

Probably cirrhosis caused by too much cheap nasty alcohols. Cirrhosis is generally a death sentence.

• Like 2