Thai evacuation plans on hold as ‘China confident it can control the situation’

webfact

By The Nation

800_5c9f45c2ac2143e.jpg?v=1580194009

File Photo

The plan to evacuate Thais stranded in China's Wuhan city are on hold after discussions with Chinese officials, Tana Weskosith, deputy permanent secretary, said. The Rapid Response Centre (RRC) has been working on an evacuation plan amid the coronavirus epidemic situation in China.

After the members exchanged data and plans to assist Thais in the risk areas of China, the Thai and Chinese governments discussed closely the care of Thai people in China, Tana said. 

China is confident that it can look after Thai people and confirmed that they could control the epidemic situation, he added.

“China has absolute restrictions on entry and exit from Wuhan and does not allow anyone to travel in and out in order to strictly control the spread of the coronavirus. Thailand has to strictly comply with such a measure. Therefore, we cannot fly the C-130 plane to pick up our people, but, what we have to do is to rehearse the guidelines and prepare measures to be ready if and when the evacuation plan is allowed by China,” Tana said.

He added that the Royal Thai Embassy in Beijing has advised all Thais to avoid risky crowded areas and to immediately contact authorities if they suspect infection with the virus. Nine other Thai embassies have published the same advice.

There are 64 Thais in Wuhan city, including 49 students, while in other cities of Hubei province there are 18 Thais.

However, embassy officers have not been able to reach Wuhan city. The officers are trying to send food, medicine and masks to all Thais but it has to be verified by Chinese officers.

Director-General of the Department of Consular Affairs, Chatri Archjananun, said that all Thais in Wuhan city now are in contact with embassy officers via the WeChat application. They have also invited a doctor from the Thai Public Health Ministry to give advice over the chat application.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381168

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-28

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

However, embassy officers have not been able to reach Wuhan city. The officers are trying to send food, medicine and masks to all Thais but it has to be verified by Chinese officers.

"Verified?" is that the new name for "confiscated" and "kept by the locals for themselves?"

• Haha 1

Few people are aware that the use of soap to wash hands in China is almost none existent.  Resources state that even most hospitals do not have soap available.  A "Five Star Hotel" is the usual exception.  How then do people not spread germs?  You can wear all the layers of masks in the world and still the hand-to-mouth, and hand-to-eyes will be the apparent loophole which will continue to spread the latest epidemic.  No one seems to ever bring this up anywhere.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

This is not what I read, other Countries are making headway in airlifting there Citizens back to there own Countries, why is Thailand so behind in dealing with this, oh,, I forgot, it doesn't care about its own citizens. 

Kowtowing, more like. Anyway, I'm confused: 

Thais in Wuhan to be evacuated Saturday

By The Nation

Edited by nausea
More info.

On 1/28/2020 at 2:49 PM, webfact said:

China/Thai same same but (no) different... both (clowns) confident that all is under control...... and yet infected cases numbers raises on a daily/hourly basis, but ALL under control

• Like 2

The BKK Post had an online article yesterday quoting Prawit as saying a chartered plane was going to leave Thailand for China today (Saturday) to pick up and return about 65 Thais from the Wuhan area.

The article said they would be tested and any with any symptoms would be placed on a 14 day quarantine once back in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The BKK Post had an online article yesterday quoting Prawit as saying a chartered plane was going to leave Thailand for China today (Saturday) to pick up and return about 65 Thais from the Wuhan area.

The article said they would be tested and any with any symptoms would be placed on a 14 day quarantine once back in Thailand.

Those without symptoms will each be given a commemoration wristwatch

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Haha 2

On 1/29/2020 at 8:13 AM, Jimbo2014 said:

Outbreaks in 17 countries, 131 dead, nearly 6000 infections.  Exponential infection rate.  Going spiffy so far.

I prefer to keep it in context, it's been over a month since this virus was discovered, 131 dead, ~150,000 people die everyday from various causes, so 4,650,000 have died, 131 deaths are attributed to Corona, is this worth spending energy worrying about? not for me! ???? 

54 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

China/Thai same same but (no) different... both (clowns) confident that all is under control...... and yet infected cases numbers raises on a daily/hourly basis, but ALL under control

China hasn’t said anything about it being under control. Just the opposite. Xi said the situation was critical.

21 minutes ago, CGW said:

I prefer to keep it in context, it's been over a month since this virus was discovered, 131 dead, ~150,000 people die everyday from various causes, so 4,650,000 have died, 131 deaths are attributed to Corona, is this worth spending energy worrying about? not for me! ???? 

Over 11,000 infected, over 200 dead. Both numbers raise daily and we are just now seeing it spread outside of China to non Chinese.

The reproduction value of this virus is double that of the flu as is the mortality rate. That means it is spreading faster and it’s more lethal than the common flu x2. Plus we still have the flu and everything else to deal with on top of this.

You can transmit the virus without showing symptoms and the virus can incubate for up to 14 days. 

If this continues to spread, hospitals will be filled to capacity, and staff over worked. This is where you will see even more people die. It’s already happening in China. The virus is not under control and there is no vaccine or cure. Your immune system either beats it or you die. If you have another illness and catch this, you’ll probably die.

There is a reason countries are stopping Chinese from entering, canceling flights, and quarantining people coming from the region. 60+ million Chinese locked down in their own country. They don’t do that for the common flu.

If this isn’t contained it is going to kill a lot of people.

• Like 1

The latest on this via Twitter:

If I'm not mistaken, Prawit was quoted yesterday in a different media as saying the plane was going to leave Thailand today (Saturday), which apparently turned out NOT to be the case. And Anutin was quoted today as saying the Saturday flight had indeed been postponed.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

21 hours ago, CGW said:

Infection rate similar to flue but 56 times mortality rate.  I still think the roads and pollution are much bigger immediate problems but maybe not in a month or two ????.  Welcome to Toxic Thailand Land of Smog, Have a Corona and chill.

It's now been reported as highly infectious even after the patient has recovered they can still pass it on.china should af been on full lock down from day 1.looks like we all can expect to catch it.i spoke to a friend last night and I might be going to stay at his house when the first report of the virus hits udon thani.ill be taking my freezer and and stocking up for a few weeks with food n beer and staying in the mountains away from everyone as I have a heart condition and can do without this problem.

its not the virus that is the problem it's the governments and their incompetence that's the real problem.

10 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Then why do you spend so much time working these boards trying to convince everyone to accept your pov?

I worry about my fellow beings, I despair at their inability to think for themselves! If that is wrong or offensive to you I apologise ???? 

30 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Where has this been reported?

I can't find the source but it was reported that one of the infected German still had a viral load in his mucus after recovery. 

Edited by Tayaout