Two charged for spreading fake coronavirus news

snoop1130

Two charged for spreading fake coronavirus news

By THE NATION

800_55f59c30e7939fd.jpg

The Digital Economy and Society (DES) ministry has been closely monitoring news and rumours regarding the coronavirus outbreak on social and online media via the Anti-Fake News Center Thailand to ensure that people receive only verified news and not to cause panic among the public, said minister Buddhipongse Punakanta on Thursday (January 30).

“We have discovered that there are many fake news about the new coronavirus and are working with Technology Crime Suppression Division (TCSD) to investigate and arrest the offenders,” he said.

“So far the TCSD has identified 15 sources of fake news via social and online media,” said Buddhipongse. “After investigation we found that six of those sources have violated the section 14 (2) of Computer-related Crime Act B.E. 2560: Uploading falsified information into a computer system which may affect the national security, public safety or may cause public panic.”

The DES Minister added that two of six offenders had been arrested and charged. “As for the other four, investigators found no intention to cause harm on their parts and were let go with a warning after signing a police report,” he added.

“Tracking down these offenders are challenging and often take some times, as most of the fake news spreaders use fake names when registering to a website. Some even register from a proxy location abroad,” Buddhipongse added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381310

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-30
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think in a way there is fake news about that virus all over the word all over the media.

Because let's look at the real risk. How many people are sick? How many people died?

And then compare those number with how many people die every day in traffic accidents in Thailand alone.

The virus risk is for most of us 0 or very near to 0. Why should we worry?

I understand what you say but I don't think anyone's worried about the current death rate, which is miniscule. I think they're worried about exponential growth of an asymptomatically contagious virus where 25% of cases get serious. Yeah, most of those survive with appropriate medical care, but the death rate might rise dramatically if medical services are overwhelmed.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“Tracking down these offenders are challenging and often take some times, as most of the fake news spreaders use fake names when registering to a website. Some even register from a proxy location abroad,” Buddhipongse added.

Ahh, just put your back into it, you wimpy man.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

It's all getting a bit silly, innit

More sinister than silly. Thailand's authoritarian leadership seems keen to import more than just the latest virus from the total-surveillance-and-control Chinese state. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think in a way there is fake news about that virus all over the word all over the media.

Because let's look at the real risk. How many people are sick? How many people died?

And then compare those number with how many people die every day in traffic accidents in Thailand alone.

The virus risk is for most of us 0 or very near to 0. Why should we worry?

Here's the truth of it all. 

I wonder if the foreigner i heard ranting like a mad man yesterday about the virus and Thailand from his hideaway now in Vietnam on a video website is one of them. I was thinking to myself when i heard him ,damn his nutcase just loves pushing his luck every time he opens his mouth.

Tips for keeping virus free. 

Wear face masks during visits to Big Care. Tesco or 7/11. And use the alcohol gel to clean the shopping basket or cart's handle. 

Insist that any bar-girl you might fancy keeps her mask on.

Don't keep touching your face or other peoples' unless you are sure they have not got the virus. 

Don't share tooth brushes or chopsticks until virus has gone. 

Simple things are sensible and could keep us alive.

• Haha 1