How much has changed in your village/town in the last 10 years?

rickudon

We're in Chanthaburi province, 9yrs this April, in a town of around 9,000

Retail - 2011 there was one 7/11, now three, plus a medium-size Tesco-Lotus supermarket opened 2013

The fresh market relocated to a new building about 2015, much better setup with parking

Several cafe/coffee shops have been and gone, 3 months seems to be the lifespan before they realise it's not as profitable as they thought. Meanwhile, the Doi Chaang one that was here when we arrived is still going strong

Similarly, a few restaurants have been and gone

We're in a 'dry' town no pub or bars, several restaurants dont serve alcohol either.

As the policeman told us when he visited the first day we were here, "the police can sleep" .... remove public alcohol, remove problems

I've got a good group to go cycling with, MsM active with the gym and a healthy social life

She changed employer July 2014 and very happy there, we moved here due to her accountancy role with Virayah Insurance but the local franchise holder wasn't the best of bosses and no regrets about leaving

After renting a new house 2011 to 2014, then another, we built in 2018 in a new subdivision, 5 houses past us on a no-exit soi, happy with our neighbours, just a pity none have kids near our daughter's age

Step-daughter completing her second year of four, employment law and HR management at uni, Chanthaburi campus and doing well

And our (I do the work, daughter the amateur landscaping planner) garden is doing great

Not a bad life, getting well setup for when I eventually retire

Edited by gomangosteen

On 1/30/2020 at 10:10 PM, Kwasaki said:

What changes have you noticed? Try not to make it just one long moan ...........

M oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Is this OK? ????

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2020 at 12:41 PM, toofarnorth said:

Nearly all the above talk about how their villages/towns in the UK have changed.  Is this what is asked or are we talking about LoS ?

Where I live ( Los ) between Chaing Rai and the northern border a lot of changes have taken place.  Tesco Lotus opened about 12 years ago when we arrived from Hua-Hin. There was 1 place for a coffee up on AH2 , now there must be 10 places around here for a cappuccino.  Our soi was dust with 2 other house at the end , now the soi is concrete and there are 2 more houses here.

Several old wooden houses were knocked down 3 years ago , now we have M J Market which is a night bazzar.  The Friday walking street was , a couple of years ago 10 stalls is now the lencth of the town.  The place is certainly on the move.

Plymouth , Devon ...not been back to since leaving in 2005 , can't say if Jews , Arabs or Greeks run the place.

Sounds as though it's good up where you are. What's the property market like ? - I'm seriously considering leaving CM even although I live outside the city in a rural area.