No chance of facemask shortage, minister says

webfact

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Unfortunately nothing definite. 

My info says basic cloth masks which are mostly what you see do absolutely nothing to prevent getting infected but do help infected people not infect others.

So they're not worthless on the sense that people don't show symptoms right away and are apparently infectious even before they do. 

Also mild cases. 

Also have heard that the n95 masks are 80 percent effective when used correctly but half the people don't use them correctly. 

This might sound really bad but slowing down the spread is the realistic public health goal so if masks help do that yes people should be wearing them even the simple cloth ones. 

Thanks for the info. Helps to shed some light.

2 hours ago, ParkerN said:

Thanks for the info. Helps to shed some light.

You're welcome but don't take my word for it. I'm hearing information all over the place including to not bother with them unless you're a health care person dealing with infected patients in which case you'd be using a higher end surgical mask. 

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Really? Every pharmacy I have seen in Chiang Mai is out of stock. Notices on the doors to that effect. Just shows what a government official in Bangkok knows about elsewhere in Thailand.

Yeah the announcement doesn't inspire confidence when tested against personal experiences.

• Like 1

Geeking out on masks. Interestingly this guy reinforces what I heard before that those basic ones that most people are wearing are good for people that might be infected to not spit out stuff to infect others. They are not for protection from others. If true which I think it is, I really doubt most people know that, so to wear them to prevent your own infection is kind of more like theater than anything else. But as said before if a person is infected and doesn't know it, wearing them for the wrong reason could mean wearing them for the right reason.

Edited by Jingthing

They just can't help themselves, can they? 

I don't think anyone in Thailand believed that there wouldn't be a mask shortage.  Even fewer once this guy opened his mouth.

200 million masks is 3 masks per person in Thailand.  That's about a 1-2 day supply, even less if there's a run on them.  Or if millions of them are making their way onto planes headed to China.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:15 PM, Jingthing said:

Well I looked in four places in Pattaya and all sold out. So I asked one place if when he would get new stock and he said impossible. So is my report fake news? 

I've had the same experience at various retailers in BKK....all sold out

BTW, afaik, they're talking about the supply/manufacture of the regular, marginally effective cheap drugstore masks... not the quality N95 type respirator masks, which also are effective for air pollution.

I also asked a pharmacy the other day just about the re-supply of their regular cheap masks just out of curiosity (I wouldn't be buying those). And the pharmacist said he had no idea if/when they'd be getting any more in stock.

As usual, I think there's an element here of the govt. telling porkies and/or all the available masks are being bought up and shipped to China before they can reach local retailers here, probably for sale at high, crisis market prices.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I'm not sure running out of masks is a bad thing. 

They're not very effective anyway.  And if they give people a false sense of security, they may skimp on other precautions that are more effective.  Like washing their hands a lot, and limiting their time in crowds.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Drax said:

Ordered in Lazada 2 days ago. It auto canceled today. Went pharmacy yesterday. Soldout everywhere.

Thailand boasts it's manufacturing capacity as [combined] being able to produce 100 million masks per month if needed... so why are all pharmacies/shops etc etc around me all sold-out, most quoting mid-month before being re-stocked?

I too looked at Lazada to prurchase N95/N99 type masks, most that are in this range come from China and the delivery is 10-20 days, why are none available from Thai sources?

Over a week ago they had sold out in Phuket no where in Central from people I know the Chinese were buying everything they could to ship back, a couple of Pharmacist that I know who did have some stock limited the Chinese to a few days supply

5 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Many stores in Pattaya have no masks and the Minister is thinking about exporting masks Thai produced masks to China. That's absolutely ridiculous!!

Release 50 million masks to Pattaya merchants now, out the 200 million storage!

Umh, 95+% of the population don't live in Pattaya - it may be that they would quite like to have masks too?

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Really? Every pharmacy I have seen in Chiang Mai is out of stock. Notices on the doors to that effect. Just shows what a government official in Bangkok knows about elsewhere in Thailand.

Chinese are buying huge amounts of them. Chiang Mai is running out.

Wearing a mask also serves as spreading awareness of a virus being present. That goes a long way towards containment as people might be more motivated to educate themselves when others are walking around in hazmat suits. Except TiT, maibpenrai, must be the latest fashion statement.

• Like 1

450 mls bottles of Alsoff 70% alcohol for 50 baht in a pharmacy in Jomtien. Very good supplies , 50 baht a bottle bought 2. 60ml bottles were available in 7/11 at 18 baht but every one I've been in in the last few days seem to be out. Don't try drinking it though !

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/what-happens-if-you-drink-rubbing-alcohol

Image result for alsoff alcohol

Edited by URMySunshine

Famous last words, I guess we'll see, though I notice the picture is of people wearing the clinical masks which are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Welcome to Thailand. The wild, wild East - home of  latter-day cowboys.

43 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

450 mls bottles of Alsoff 70% alcohol for 50 baht in a pharmacy in Jomtien. Very good supplies , 50 baht a bottle bought 2. 60ml bottles were available in 7/11 at 18 baht but every one I've been in in the last few days seem to be out. Don't try drinking it though !

https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/what-happens-if-you-drink-rubbing-alcohol

Image result for alsoff alcohol

The gel is better for cleaning hands, though it's more expensive.

2 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Famous last words, I guess we'll see, though I notice the picture is of people wearing the clinical masks which are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Welcome to Thailand. The wild, wild East - home of  latter-day cowboys.

They are good for the already infected to block their spray. But if most people wearing them are already infected, well, time to get out of Dodge. 

On 1/31/2020 at 10:33 PM, Jingthing said:

Also have heard that the n95 masks are 80 percent effective when used correctly but half the people don't use them correctly. 

There is a very specific way to put on and secure a N95 mask. 

I only learned this by watching a video.

• Thanks 2

When the WHO declare it as an international emergency that when I lift it from "mearly concerned" to "listening intently to all reports".  Despite what the boys in Bangkok may say.   Ordered masks and protective coveralls  from Aliexpress, no different price to normal. 

Edited by Grumpy John

4 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

There is a very specific way to put on and secure a N95 mask. 

I only learned this by watching a video.

OK, professional health care workers are hopefully doing all that correctly, but frankly, that's an awful lot for the public to follow. Also what about the practicalities? So you wear one out and then need to take it off to have a meal? It's hard for me to believe most people are actually following that protocol in real life while out and about.