No chance of facemask shortage, minister says

webfact

No chance of facemask shortage, minister says

By THE NATION

800_d11514450cdcdd7.jpg?v=1580457493

Jurin Laksanawisit

There is an ample supply of protective facemasks for everyone while the coronavirus threat persists – and even if it worsens and demand rises – Deputy Minister and Minister of Commerce Jurin Laksanawisit said this week after visiting the Thai Hospital Products factory, one of several places making them.

“Ten large factories in Thailand can together produce 100 million masks a month,” he said. “Domestic demand is usually 30 million, but we would have no problem even if that rose to 40 million or 50 million.”

There is also a stockpile of 200 million masks that alone would meet demand for four or five months, Jurin said.

“I don’t want to see people buying masks in bulk, though, because that would just deplete the stocks.”

The ministry was carefully monitoring production and shares a “war room” with the Department of Internal Trade that works with the 10 mask factories, distributors and retailers, he said.

Thailand is even prepared to respond to a request from Chinese officials to export masks there, Jurin said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381364

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-31

Hard to know what to believe. i read in a UK newspaper that the clinical masks that there are most of in TL are pretty useless against virii, that  PM2.5 masks are better but not ideal because they leak around the edges. According to this article, the most useful ones are 3M masks with a valve. Apparently, the cliical masks are 1-use only and only hav the benefit of preventing the face being touched (with possibly contaminated hands)

If this is true, I think the above article is a bit suspect. Anyone have better information?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Hard to know what to believe. i read in a UK newspaper that the clinical masks that there are most of in TL are pretty useless against virii, that  PM2.5 masks are better but not ideal because they leak around the edges. According to this article, the most useful ones are 3M masks with a valve. Apparently, the cliical masks are 1-use only and only hav the benefit of preventing the face being touched (with possibly contaminated hands)

If this is true, I think the above article is a bit suspect. Anyone have better information?

Unfortunately nothing definite. 

My info says basic cloth masks which are mostly what you see do absolutely nothing to prevent getting infected but do help infected people not infect others.

So they're not worthless on the sense that people don't show symptoms right away and are apparently infectious even before they do. 

Also mild cases. 

Also have heard that the n95 masks are 80 percent effective when used correctly but half the people don't use them correctly. 

This might sound really bad but slowing down the spread is the realistic public health goal so if masks help do that yes people should be wearing them even the simple cloth ones. 

Edited by Jingthing

N95 is the US standard the EU equivalent is FFP3 as long as the mask meet those standards and they fit properly and you are clean shaven they will help.

I had viral conjunctivitis a few year ago and that turned out to be one of the flu viruses so it can get in via the eyes and a mask won't stop that.

Get hand sanitizer and use it and wash your hands at every opportunity with soap and don't touch your face.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adammike said:

N95 is the US standard the EU equivalent is FFP3 as long as the mask meet those standards and they fit properly and you are clean shaven they will help.

You brought up a point that I haven't seen here before. Better lose that mullah beard. Unless it's thick enough to act as a mask.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, adammike said:

I had viral conjunctivitis a few year ago and that turned out to be one of the flu viruses so it can get in via the eyes and a mask won't stop that.

Get hand sanitizer and use it and wash your hands at every opportunity with soap and don't touch your face.

I read an article today on the Guardian app and the journalist stated that N95 is the equivalent of FFP2, and that the FFP3 mask is superior to an N95. The general view was that they are not foolproof but at least stop you from touching you’re mouth and nose.

4 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I read an article today on the Guardian app and the journalist stated that N95 is the equivalent of FFP2, and that the FFP3 mask is superior to an N95. The general view was that they are not foolproof but at least stop you from touching you’re mouth and nose.

European ratings are rated P1 (N95) P2 (N97) P3 (N99). 95%, 97%, 99% filtration of particles down to 0.3 microns when worn properly. 

18 hours ago, webfact said:

“Ten large factories in Thailand can together produce 100 million masks a month,” he said. “Domestic demand is usually 30 million, but we would have no problem even if that rose to 40 million or 50 million.”

Yesterday my local Big C had no masks, 3 pharmacies within Big C had also sold-out.

I visited tesco lek on the way home: sold out, CJ-stores up the road: sold out, family mart: sold out... plus two pharmacies near my home both sold out!!!!

• Thanks 1

I did manage to get my hands on 20 3M N95's a week ago. Now I've set up a recycling system, where used masks are placed in a UV radiation box I built ( germicidal UV light and a cardboard box ) for a day before put into another box to be reused after a couple of days. This way the supply should last for a fairly long time. Heat treatment in an oven might also be an option. 

Heat at 56°C kills the SARS coronavirus at around 10000 units per 15 min (quick reduction).

https://www.who.int/csr/sars/survival_2003_05_04/en/

EDIT: Same questions about longevity were posed before and some data is available: https://www.quora.com/On-average-how-long-can-I-wear-a-3M-N95-face-mask-before-it-needs-to-be-disposed

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I did manage to get my hands on 20 3M N95's a week ago. Now I've set up a recycling system, where used masks are placed in a UV radiation box I built ( germicidal UV light and a cardboard box ) for a day before put into another box to be reused after a couple of days. This way the supply should last for a fairly long time. Heat treatment in an oven might also be an option. 

You're really getting into the spirit of this. Additionally, well ventilated masks will not hold a living virus for long. Purportedly anywhere from 1-5 days. The RNA enveloped Coronavirus eventually dies without a host. You can simply add this to your sterilization protocol as an additional assurance that the mask will be free of the virus. 

• Thanks 1