Rent bike in Chiang Mai, give it back in Bangkok?

CM1296

I'm planning to do a month long scooter trip through Thailand and was wondering if anyone would know if it's possible to rent a scooter in Chiang Mai and then give it back in Bangkok (or the other way around)?

Also, any safety advice?

General routes will be Mae Hong Son loop, Chiang Mai -> Bangkok, maybe some in the Krabi area.

Have been driving in Thailand for 2 years so got some experience. Mostly in Chiang Mai city though...my general approach to these trips is:

- Always keep far left on the road, make space for fast cars from behind

- Expect people to cut corners or drive on the wrong side

- Always drive between 9am - 4pm to avoid drunk drivers, extra care on public holidays

- Avoid driving when it's raining / roads are wet

- Frequent breaks, not more than 4-5 hours of driving per day

- wear a breathing mask

Maybe someone has something to add ????

Edited by CM1296

OP, you might be better off posting this in the bike forum. 
On my part, I wouldn’t do this trip on a scooter. A scooter doesn’t have the power to accelerate away from potentially hazardous situations, no matter how careful you try to be. Having said that, a lot depends on how long you are allowing for the journey. If you can completely avoid motorways and highways, the the risks decreases. 

13 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

OP, you might be better off posting this in the bike forum. 
On my part, I wouldn’t do this trip on a scooter. A scooter doesn’t have the power to accelerate away from potentially hazardous situations, no matter how careful you try to be. Having said that, a lot depends on how long you are allowing for the journey. If you can completely avoid motorways and highways, the the risks decreases. 

Yeah to both of Gman's points. I've been driving bikes in Thailand for 23 years although I have never been a long road trip guy but the roads have become so much more dangerous in the past 10 years or so I would really hesitate to do that on a scooter. On the other hand if the OP does not have solid experience with larger bikes (500cc+) he should definitely not do it either.

Agree with both of the above.

I personally, if I were going to use a scooter for this, would get something like a Honda Wave which has a 4 gear gear box. The bikes with fully automatic gears are not the best for mountainous districts.

How well do you know motor bikes? Well enough to be sure you could buy a second hand one and check it for safety? I have met people who have bought one here in Chiang Mai and and planned on selling it again in Bangkok when they left. Don't do this unless you are sure you can spot a bad one.

The second hand dealer behind Meechok Plaza would be a good place to start.

https://goo.gl/maps/Vg1emMshXpm8CXaQ8

It's right at the back, as far from the Phrao Road (1001) as you can get.