Dubai Airport

amlek

I'll be transiting through Dubai with a 6 hour wait for my connecting flight. I've read on some travel forums that the airport is a nightmare with overcrowding, seating shortages, long queues & unhelpful staff! Is it really so bad? :o

Dubai airport is one of the better Middle East airports. It’s quite modern and my preferred Middle East airport.

The airport is has a number of shops selling the usual duty free items and up market watches etc. If so inclined, you can buy one of the airport raffle tickets for a chance to win a luxury car or large cash prize.

There are number of pub restaurants with comfortable chairs to relax in while having a drink and bite to eat. Most common foreign currency is accepted at the shops/restaurants with a reasonable exchange rate. A number of ATM’s are located through the airport and credit cards readily accepted.

Depending on the time of day, you may find the chairs near departure gates fully occupied. The airport is a hub for laborers heading to and from employment in the Middle East.

Long queues and crowds can be experienced at immigration along with unsmiling immigration officials. There are a number of transit desks with reasonably helpful staff. I can’t say the same for some transit passengers as some people don’t know how to queue for service. :o

The airport is a hub, flight delays can be experienced if there are weather delays in Europe etc.

Edited by Farma

I'm absolutely astonished at the answers above.

The Dubai airport may not be absolutely the worse in the world, but it's pretty darn close. It's dirty, crowded, smelly, and unpleasant. Even the Emirates first class lounge is a garbage dump with rancid food, nasty employees, and no place to sit most of the time. They provide ONE shower and changing room for the entire first class lounge (and, to my eye, they clean it once a month).

The worst part of the Dubai airport is the remote parking of aircraft. On numerous occasions I've had a twenty minute bus ride (standing up, of course) to get from the plane to the terminal and then another twenty minute ride to get back onto my connecting flight. There is one narrow road snaking around the whole airport that carries every passenger bus, baggage cart, and maintenance vehicle for the entire place. It's Sukhumvit Road style traffic twenty-four hours a day, which ain't much fun after a ten hour flight.

Avoid Dubai whenever and however you can.

I don't mind it, there is a swimming pool and a cinema and a childrens' playground. What more could you ask for.

The reason the beer is so expensive is that it's a muslim country. Just think yourself lukcy you don't transit at Jeddah!

I pass through Dubai airport 8 times a year and have certainly noticed the increase in travellers clogging up the place. Certainly the bus transfers are a pain but fags and booze are very cheap, and also a good range of BBC DVDs at reasonable prices.

I suppose that things will improve when the new building work is complete (soon?)

But you know what, IMHO it's still a lot brighter, cleaner and more pleasant than passing through Camp Swampy! (no cracked floor tiles or dirty windows either).

Travelling anywhere these days is a pain!

*sigh* Haters will hate, I Love Dubai airport, clean, neat, good food and good shopping. Emirates Lounges for First and Buisness class are well appointed and comfortable. I fly through there no less than 8 times a year. Ironically if the people who hated it so much actualy complained about any of the issues they supposedly had with Emirates they would probably end up with free miles or a discount or some kind of renumeration of some sort. Emirates is big on being classy and hospitable.

*sigh* Haters will hate, I Love Dubai airport, clean, neat, good food and good shopping.....Emirates is big on being classy and hospitable.

*sigh* I suppose, Nebukanezar may be right. My experience shouldn't count for anything since I'm just a 'hater.'

Maybe it's my all fault in the first place. Maybe I actually flew the wrong Emirates Airlines a dozen times or so last year when I encountered nothing but dirty, overcrowded lounges, crappy airplanes, barely edible food, and employees who on the whole couldn't give a stuff. Yeah, that's it. Must have been my fault.

Oh well, I guess I'll just make do with awful airports like Changi from now on and leave the delights of Dubai to Nebukanezar. At least that will make a little more room for him, which he'll need in order to make his way among the floor encampments where the migrant workers barbeque their goats.

Maybe it's my all fault in the first place. Maybe I actually flew the wrong Emirates Airlines a dozen times or so last year when I encountered nothing but dirty, overcrowded lounges, crappy airplanes, barely edible food, and employees who on the whole couldn't give a stuff. Yeah, that's it. Must have been my fault.

Just curious as to why you would travel a dozen times in a year with an Airline that gave you such bad service? :o

If Dubai is bad/awful/dirty/overcrowded then I will have to reach for my dictionary to describe. Abu Dhabi airport.

Abu Dhabi is...

abominable, amiss, atrocious, awful, bad news*, beastly, blah*, bottom out, bummer*, careless, cheap, cheesy*, crappy*, cruddy*, crummy*, defective, deficient, diddly*, dissatisfactory, downer*, dreadful, erroneous, fallacious, faulty, garbage, god-awful, gross*, grungy*, icky*, imperfect, inadequate, incorrect, inferior, junky*, lousy*, not good, off, poor, raunchy*, rough, sad, scuzzy, sleazeball, sleazy, slipshod, stinking, substandard, synthetic, the pits*, unacceptable, unsatisfactory

AHHH! Thats better.

Just curious as to why you would travel a dozen times in a year with an Airline that gave you such bad service? :D

Maybe no choice regarding the route.

Or maybe Emirates is a good deal for him/

Personaly :

-Dubai is over crowed. True. No seats. People are sleeping on the floor everywhere. Business class lounge crowded too. But they are building a new terminal

-Buses instead of contact gates are... boring indeed. But again, with the new terminal, it will solve the problem

But I can not say that the airport is "dirty".

I go back and forth between BKK and Europe. Emirates has a very good miles system. Awsome website to buy tickets, manage miles, online check in etc.

It's a good deal (1 free ticket with miles every 3 paid tickets). With Thai Airways, it's more than 5. And airplanes are older.

To sum' up : I don't have a passionate love affair with Dubai Airport. But it's okay. It does the work :o

Just curious as to why you would travel a dozen times in a year with an Airline that gave you such bad service? :o

My thoughts exactly.

Yes yes there are a bunch of sloppy TCNs camping out on the upper levels sure. But they keep them out of the areas you would want to go to anyway. The shops are clean and have great brands, and the eateries have good food, and the lounges may be crowded but they are by no means cramped, plenty of liquor and snacks. Decent lil airport Bars...not at all bad considering it's a "Work in Progress" they are doing construction there remember...

When I think of a crappy airport I think of Athens 1999-2000 time frame before the olypics that took place there recently. That was hideous, Zeus himself should have struck down that dilapidated, smoke filled, vile little cesspool, and the smelly, illiterate, hairy backed ape like bastards that ran that sh*^ hole too.

Though from what I hear it's much better now :D

Edited by Nebukanezar

My thoughts exactly.

Yes yes there are a bunch of sloppy TCNs camping out on the upper levels sure. But they keep them out of the areas you would want to go to anyway. The shops are clean and have great brands, and the eateries have good food, and the lounges may be crowded but they are by no means cramped, plenty of liquor and snacks. Decent lil airport Bars...not at all bad considering it's a "Work in Progress" they are doing construction there remember...

When I think of a crappy airport I think of Athens time frame before the olypics that took place there recently. That was hideous, Zeus himself should have struck down that dilapidated, smoke filled, vile little cesspool, and the smelly, illiterate, hairy backed ape like bastards that ran that sh*^ hole too.

Though from what I hear it's much better now :D

I also remember the old Athens airport and it truly was bad.................nearly as bad as Kalamata or my least favourite UK airport, Bloody, bleedin' Stanstead!! I've never tried the middle Eastern stopovers but have used either Amsterdam or Zurich, both of which are quite pleasant, if impersonal

I don't mind it, there is a swimming pool and a cinema and a childrens' playground. What more could you ask for.

The reason the beer is so expensive is that it's a muslim country. Just think yourself lukcy you don't transit at Jeddah!

PLEASE PLEASE do tell me where the kiddie's playground is.

As a mother with three young kids in tow I looked everywhere and could not find ANY facilities for children at Dubai airport.

Awaiting the answer now as travelling there in a few months.

Many thanks in anticipation, leisurely

Just curious as to why you would travel a dozen times in a year with an Airline that gave you such bad service? :D

Maybe no choice regarding the route.

Or maybe Emirates is a good deal for him/

Personaly :

-Dubai is over crowed. True. No seats. People are sleeping on the floor everywhere. Business class lounge crowded too. But they are building a new terminal

-Buses instead of contact gates are... boring indeed. But again, with the new terminal, it will solve the problem

But I can not say that the airport is "dirty".

I go back and forth between BKK and Europe. Emirates has a very good miles system. Awsome website to buy tickets, manage miles, online check in etc.

It's a good deal (1 free ticket with miles every 3 paid tickets). With Thai Airways, it's more than 5. And airplanes are older.

To sum' up : I don't have a passionate love affair with Dubai Airport. But it's okay. It does the work :o

I`m also a Skywards member but don`t get your 1 free ticket with 3 paid tickets calculation.

Is this for 1st or business class.. I`m an economy man myself.

I stopped there twice..and all I can say is NEVER Again.

I remember:

1) The bugs I found in my hamburger (I'm not jocking..I found walking bugs in it)

2) The people sleeping on the floor

3) The fact that you can't go even near to the toilets (unless is night). I was thinking about a shower (after a 14h flight) but I gave up. Too dirty! (really really dirty!)

4) It is so overcrowded that you can barely find a place to stay

5) The smell..really bad smell

6) The useless staff

7) It is dirty (did I mentioned it before?)

Try to avoid...(IMO)

g.

The airport has a website with at www.dubaiairport.com

A quick look shows a play area by Gate 14 in Departure area. Of course no guarantee the website is up-to-date.

Many thanks for that. I did not see it last time but will check again next time.

Noticed the following on that website : Did you notice one VERY important country missing ?

Visa Requirements icon_print.gificon_mail.gifThe procedures / rules detailed here below are for Information Only and are subject to change without prior notice.

Most travellers need to obtain a visa prior to entering the emirate. However, the following passport holders can get an entry permit stamped in their passport upon arrival.

• AGCC country visa holders (certain designations only)
  • France, Italy, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Portugal, Ireland, Greece, Finland, Spain, Monaco, Vatican City, Iceland, Andorra, San Marino, Liechtenstein, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Brunei, Hong Kong, Singapore South Korea and Malaysia

I fly on a monthly basis via Dubai airport with Thai and Emirates.

I think that this airport is the most over appreciated airport in the world.

If you can use the lounges it is not to bad but even the Business Class (which I luckily fly ) lounges are very cramped and sometimes it is impossible to find an chair.

But i think that the rest of the airport is very bad and i would try to avoid it if possible.

First of all it is very small.

All the seats ( i fly in the evening ) are full.

many people sleeping on the floors.

Most of the areas are very dirty.

I no nothing about the toilets. ( use the lounge )

Also no nothing about the food ( again I use the lounge )

The airport staff is ( to say the least ) very unfriendly and I always have the feeling that see us as cattle.

The security are behaving as they where god himself. ( every where they use the hand detectors but not in Dubai.)

They let you strip until the metal detector finds nothing any more.

On the positive side, The airport hotel is good with a swimming pool. ( free for hotel guest but you have to pay if you are not )

Never say a children playground. ( if you at there mentality I don’t think there is one )

I would say avoid this airport is possible otherwise good luck.

my dad recently made an error booking his flights and he too had a 6 hour stop over in dubai. apparently there is a room with a free buffet for all emirates passengers with a stop over of 4 hours or more. I think he hd to pay for his coffee but water was free or something like that. Anyway apparently it is just a door with a sign on and it is not advertised.

i will try to remember to ask him the location.

ok i have just spoken to the man himself.

apparently it is on the first floor, same level as the gates.

go to gate 19, face it and then turn left.

go towards gate 17. as you get to the stairs there is a posh cafe, just after the cafe is a small door. apparently it is not advertised from the outside, but there is a small sign once you go though. thats the best i got, hope it helps

Emirates, lost my case on the way there, at Dubai airport, bodies everywhere some even had seats, if I have a choice I would not use again, my case arrived 3 days later (cut open even though I had left the keys with lost property), was given refund for 1 lost item and new case, back in UK the combination lock on my NEW case was broken (nothing taken from the case).

As I said before, if I have a choice I would not use again.

Steve :o

I`m also a Skywards member but don`t get your 1 free ticket with 3 paid tickets calculation.

Is this for 1st or business class.. I`m an economy man myself.

Yes you can.

:o

Example Paris/BKK/Paris

paris dubai : 3253

gold tiers bonus : 1626

dubai BKK : 3032

gold tiers bonus : 1516

Total = 18 854 miles for 1 roundtrip

Add : bonus when you buy online your tickets (30 %) = 3772 miles (for 1 round trip)

Grand total : 22 626 miles

Now, to redeem a Paris/BKK/Paris, it cost 75 000 miles = 1 free ticket per 3.3 paid

But... but... Emirates gives you a 10% discount when you redeem online.

So total cost 67 500 miles / 22 626 = 1 free ticket per 2.98 paid.

:D

However. Now with fuel taxes... a "free" ticket Paris/BKK/Paris costs 213 euros.

Seems nobody spotted /or even looked at the official list below.

Briitish passport holders to my astonishment NOT in the list : why ?

"Most travellers need to obtain a visa prior to entering the emirate. However, the following passport holders can get an entry permit stamped in their passport upon arrival.

• AGCC country visa holders (certain designations only)
  • France, Italy, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Portugal, Ireland, Greece, Finland, Spain, Monaco, Vatican City, Iceland, Andorra, San Marino, Liechtenstein, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Brunei, Hong Kong, Singapore South Korea and Malaysia"

I got stuck in Dubai for 18 hours back in '99 - I can still remember it clearly. Emirates stuffed up my flight so I missed my connection then they lost my luggage. They were rebuilding the airport back then and I was told it was 6 years into what was to be a 4 year job - and that was back in '99!!! So now you're telling me they're STILL rebuilding it?

I can remember being crammed like standing up sardines in the bus to and from the plane, and sleeping on the floor using my computer as a pillow. Guards with machine guns walking around. I had no local currency [it was supposed to be only a 1 hour transit] and they only took US dollars or local - and I had no US dollars as I was on my way back from Greece. I managed to change a bit of money at the counter [at daylight robbery rates] and got a couple of chocolate bars from a machine. They were the most expensive chocolates I've had in my life.

The toilets were deplorable - I've seen cleaner pigs than that. I don't understand how humans of ANY race could put up with that, while spending millions on cement and yellow lights right outside.

Emirates were useless and totally unconcerned - "oh yeh it happens all the time"...

Needless to say, I've never flown with them since, or been back to Dubai either...