No Highway Tolls Over Songkran

george

No highway tolls over Songkran

BANGKOK: -- All highway fees will be waived from April 11 to 16 as a "New Year gift" to motorists, Highway Police Commander Maj-General Napas Yensudjai said yesterday.

As the government aims to reduce road accidents by 15 per cent, police will set up checkpoints to arrest traffic-law violators, especially along routes heading to the North and Northeast.

Highway repairs will also be suspended from April 11 to 16 to accommodate the travellers, Napas said.

Between April 11 and 17, police and vocational students, along with Land Transport officials, will offer check-up services for buses to ensure safe public transport during the five-day holiday.

People can also call the highway police hotline 1193 around the clock or stop by at 205 highway information centres for travel information.

-- The Nation 2007-04-05

Same happened last year, I was amazed when I noticed there were no toll attendants in the booths, but on reflection thought it was better to let them all have time off rather than keep a few on duty - everybody wins. We get a break on tolls and they get away from the fumes for a week

With the tool booths closed, people will be able to drive through at breakneck speeds instead of the usual approach manoeuvre which consists of still driving at 100kph 50 metres away ant cutting across 8 lanes to get to that queues that's one car shorter.

My goodness, but some people like to complain. I'm sure not going to buy you guys a Christmas present this year with that kind of attitude!

google ' indian giver ' :o

given the fact that road deaths increse dramatically over this period, perhaps lifting the tolls isn't particularly well thought out.

i personally dont want to be doing 140 behind pickup after pickup full to overflowing with partiers that would have taken surface roads.

but then i fly to the beach tomrrow.