Coronavirus: Concern for tourists as Immigration wear masks and gloves

webfact

Coronavirus: Concern for tourists as Immigration wear masks and gloves

5pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Immigration officers at the Government Complex in Chaeng Wattana yesterday were in full action trying to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. 

Thai Rath reported that there were checkpoints all over the huge complex.

Immigration personnel were wearing masks and gloves when dealing with those arriving to do visa business.

Gel was on hand and leaflets were handed out informing the public about the virus. 

Spokesman Pol Maj-Gen Piti Nithinonthaset said immigration were concerned about the situation and wanted to contain any spread of the virus.

A fellow spokesman said that immigration continues to go easy on people from Wuhan who are overstaying with fines for doing so not being levied at this time. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-04
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Can't imagine a Go Go bar where all the gals are dressed up in IO outfits. But back on track of the virus. They surely need to take full care of themselves as they are sort of on the front lines or one of the main hotspots to contract it. Only gonna get worse as it looks.

• Haha 2

Its good to see the immigration officers taking all reasonable precautions against infection.

Will they require me to put my fingers and thumbs on a biometric scanner which has been touched by the whole world and his dog  when I leave Thailand in a couple of weeks time.

This pre-supposes that we are allowed to leave LOS ............

• Sad 1

I am concerned about the risk associated with the VFS visa Bio-Metric data processing centre in Trendy Building Bangkok,  Thousand of people attend this centre to submit documents and undergo finger print scanning in order to secure a visa to travel to the UK, Canada, Finland, Australia New Zealand and other states.  

We have written to the Australian Government and the Chief Medical Officer requesting that they undertake a review of the health and safety environment as a matter of Urgency. 

Lifts air-condition, document handling and bio-metric data scanning  equipment are potential causes of contanminarion, Not only the public but staff are also placed at risk. 

We are advising our clients to consider seeking a waiver from attending the centres.  It is difficult as most want a visa tomorrow a are left with little to no choice to attend or risk being denied a visa.

In most cases applicants do not need to attend these centre a there is no business case that can not be addressed by alternative data collection processes.  The Thai government already collect bio-security information, finger prints and facial recognition data. this information and other documents can be submitted or verified on line. 

It is incumbent on  foreign governments to review the procedures and suspend this practice.

if foreign governments do not act then the Thai authorties must.

Edited by OffshoreMig

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

If I was an immigration officer, especially at the airport, I would be on extended sick leave unless my employer could provide me with full protective gear, not just a mask and gloves at the front line.....fark that. 

When all my sick leave would be up, then it would be holidays, long service leave and last but not least quit and open a bar. ????

Would a visa agency be more lucrative than a bar?, if there's any foreigners left in the KIngdom that is.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sherwood said:

I live out in the bush so this virus should not have an impact on us, unless it does. A major event in March, MotoGp, could change that so I hope things have changed by then.

On Wednesday there will be a press conference about the coming up GP in Thailand !

2 hours ago, Tops said:

Just in a normal condition idiot !
Was not allowed to have any drinks, food nor sex after midnight. Also they needed my morning urine. Had to pee in the hospital. 

Not like you sexpats always drunk. Happen to run an international business here. Can easily leave this monkey country and go on somewhere else. Thailand is less than 1% of the total revenue !!

Oh dear. An international businessman no less.

No doubt all international businessmen have to go through the same procedure.

Thankfully I never have. And I do actually work internationally. And you have the nerve to call me an idiot? Unbelievable!!.

You didn't confirm if you were drunk or sober at immigration. Only you were sober at 8 am.

If I was you I wouldn't be accusing anyone being drunk all the time sexpats or not.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

Its good to see the immigration officers taking all reasonable precautions against infection.

Will they require me to put my fingers and thumbs on a biometric scanner which has been touched by the whole world and his dog  when I leave Thailand in a couple of weeks time.

This pre-supposes that we are allowed to leave LOS ............

Yes they will. Use the sanitizer if you are worried. Plenty available. You'll be getting on a plane with 200 plus people.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BRUFC said:

Would a visa agency be more lucrative than a bar?, if there's any foreigners left in the KIngdom that is.

Yes, but that would just mean more paperwork, verses a whole new career, as for entertaining foreigners, the thought didn't cross my mind ????

14 hours ago, Tops said:

Complete idiot$ over there. Probably the mad cow disease has affected the government right now.

I had to go back to Chang Wattana immigration yesterday to pick up my visa extension as it was under consideration. Before entry you're getting sprayed and you have to clean your hands with a sanitizing lotion. Here the problems started. After this you get a sticker you must wear somewhere visible. I didn't get one.

I had cut myself in my left thumb last Saturday when preparing dinner in our kitchen. Next to this I had a few scratches from our 12 week old kitten on my arms and legs. Some nurse went with me to get a number and to the L2 counter. They turned down my visa extension as I had to go to the hospital and I had to get a health certificate saying I am clean and that I have been tested on all kinds of diseases, including Corona, HIV, TBC, etc.. This certificate was not allowed to be older than 24 hours. They gave us a list which hospitals were allowed to do. So yesterday late afternoon we went to a university hospital to see a doctor, having my weight, temperature and height taken, costs 1,200 THB.

This morning I had to show up sober at the hospital at 8 AM. Had to pay 7,800 THB for the bloodtests first. Got my blood tested on so many things. Than having my weight, temperature and height taken before seeing the doctor. Waiting for the results. Had my health certificate at noon after I paid another bill of 3,750 THB.

Went back to immigration. Before entry you're getting sprayed and you have to clean your hands with a sanitizing lotion. After this you get a sticker you must wear somewhere visible. Showed them my health certificate there. But I didn't get a sticker. And again some nurse was following me to the L2 counter. I had to pay a fine for 1 day overstay of 500 THB first. Make a deposit again on my bank, get 2 copies of the bankbook and I had to wait till 3 PM for my visa extension. So after 2 days and 13,250 THB poorer I got my visa extension...

They are just helping the Thai economy by shaking the foreigners down...

And NOOOO, I didn't see the pretty one. Only old and fat cows.

I would have got the next available flight and left........for good. Despicable behaviour

• Like 1
  • Haha 1