Australian Multiple Entry

I am looking for guidance on the most appropriate visa for my situation.

I am an Australian, over 50 years old and married to a Thai and have been entering the country on the visa exempt (30-day stay) category.

I have entered for 28 days in May 2019 and again in September 2019 and have two more booked trips for February 2020 and April 2020.

Although all these trips involve significant touring around Thailand, I don't want any problem with immigration refusing me entry, saying I am not a tourist.

Am I okay using the 30-day visa exempt 4-5 times per year in this way, or do I need to go for the marriage or retirement visas. (I would prefer not to lock up 400/800,000 baht just at the moment, because of the poor exchange rate).

What would be the best option for me, thanks for your help.

You fit travel pattern of a tourist.

Can't see why you can't continue using visa exempt entries. Also you spend time in Au between visits and are arriving from Au. That's lot different to people living here in Los and spending few days or weeks out and reentering from nearby countries.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

Fully agree with DrJack, that it is clear from your travel plans that you are a genuine tourist and should have no problems at all continuing to enter Thailand VisaExempt.

In case you decide to up the frequency of your visits, you could also consider to apply for a 1-year Multi-Entry Non Immigrant O - marriage Visa at the Savannakhet, Laos consulate.  That Visa allows you to stay 90 days in Thailand (and can be extended with 60 days), after which you have to exit/re-enter (can be done same day) for your next 90 days permission to stay.  So that Visa effectively allows you to squeeze 15 months of stay out of it (and when you extend the last entry even 17 months).

I mention this option because you mentioned that you are married to a thai national, and that ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa does not require any financials to be proven (except for the 5.000 THB application fee).

>> When you are interested in more info on requirements/practicalities on how to apply for it, just PM me (I made a compilation of posts highlighting the practicalities of applying for that Visa in Savannakhet, HCMC or Yangon).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markeewan said:

Thanks for the all the feedback and offers of assistance, this is very helpful and I have bookmarked the links for future reference and printed the page.

You need a retirement visa as you are over 50.

UKResonant is right.  This is the best way to go forward IMO.  Lodge application for the Visa in Australia before next visit - it is valid for 1 year and gives the IO at BKK the 'comfort' that you have proven you are OK.  Multiple tourist entries is a trigger.  I have done the Non-O Marriage visiting family myself and it has worked fine.  I recommend you apply at the Sydney Consulate not the Canberra Embassy (via registered mail of course) - the whole process takes a week or so.  

http://www.thaiembassy.org/sydney/en/other/96010-NON-IMMIGRANT-VISA.html

Canberra and Sydney are the only places that process non-immigrant Visa applications, and I have used them both over the years. Sydney is by far more efficient and organised - and they answer their phones - the Canberra Embassy is a junket and they are useless unless you can walk in and hand deliver your application and likewise pick it up.

With the visa-exempt you will be yellow-flagged after the 6th entry. This means a warning to double check appears on the screen of the immi-officer. It all depends on her/his mood, the airport (avoid DMK), your actual history (if at all able to see it-though it should all be in the computer) etc what the result is gonna be. Its not that hard as above explained to get a more proper visa, certainly if this bond is to last.