Tenant rights and penalties after move-out

Landlord should have insurance for glass. A/C is your responsibility to clean as your use made it dirty. Bloodstained mattress should be replaced. If you stopped paying rent then you defaulted, should have been evicted immediately with loss of any deposit.

• Like 1

Glass in door is not expensive to replace. I think I paid 700 baht + 2  beers. Father in law thought he could walk through the door while 

he had a bit too much Thai whisky...

the other cleaning fees are not much considering...

20 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I wasn't there so I don't know, but he had no injuries so he did not run into it. Maybe he did close it too hard,

either your telling fibs or your friend is telling fibs .....   if he was there when it broke, then he knows what happened but he's not saying ....   I smell a rat.

On 2/5/2020 at 1:14 PM, chilly07 said:

Landlord should have insurance for glass.

Good point. Didn't even think about that. I assume insurance is quite common (if not mandatory) for condo owners. Is it possible she's just reluctant to file an insurance claim because she doesn't want her premium payments to go up? (or worse - that she's going to double-dip and collect my money while having insurance pay for the repairs?). At the time I found it weird how adamant the condo juristic people were that the cause was not construction in another unit - perhaps they were just trying to pin the blame on me so their insurance policy doesn't have to pay for it?

A/C is your responsibility to clean as your use made it dirty.

It wasn't dirty, I regularly cleaned the filters, and it was professionally cleaned half a year ago. Cleaning is not actually needed. They just added it to pad the bill.

If you stopped paying rent then you defaulted, should have been evicted immediately with loss of any deposit.

The reason I stopped paying rent is I knew they were going to try and keep my deposit. This was clear to me with how they were talking when the glass door broke and they quoted 15k. They'd simply make a list of bogus charges and tell me I'm not getting the deposit back. So what's fair is fair, and now I have a chance to actually decide for myself what is fair to pay.

On 2/5/2020 at 2:47 PM, DJ54 said:

Glass in door is not expensive to replace. I think I paid 700 baht + 2  beers.

Sounds about right. This door/glass is bigger than a standard door, but I can't imagine it would be much more than 10k. I actually started this thread to see what other people paid for replacing glass in door (not to hear opinions on whether I'm a good tenant, lol) - so thanks.

31 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Sounds about right. This door/glass is bigger than a standard door, but I can't imagine it would be much more than 10k. I actually started this thread to see what other people paid for replacing glass in door (not to hear opinions on whether I'm a good tenant, lol) - so thanks.

Kindly tell us the real story  ......  

either your telling fibs or your friend is telling fibs .....   if he was there when it broke, then he knows what happened but he's not saying ....   ??   i smell a lie about the glass door.

From your own posts you left the place filthy, sublet to a friend, soiled a mattress and defaulted on your rent.  Yes, the landlord is overcharging but it sounds like you deserve it and had the opportunity when you were still resident to address the situation.  Leaving a week early sounds like running away to avoid things on exit day.

You may well get away with paying less than asked, or even nothing at all, but you sure don't deserve to.

• Like 1