Virus treatment coverage available from Social Security

snoop1130

Virus treatment coverage available from Social Security

By The Nation

800_136b805f99acb1c.jpg

The Social Security Office secretary-general Todsaphon Kritwongwiman

The Social Security Office is ready to insure anyone who becomes infected with the coronavirus to cover their medical bills.

Its secretary-general Todsaphon Kritwongwiman said on Thursday (February 6) the novel coronavirus outbreak that originated in China was no longer “a distant matter” for Thais.

“People with a fever, a bad cough, sore throat, runny nose or difficulty breathing should put on a facemask and go see a doctor immediately, because this disease carries a high risk of death,” he said.

“The SSO has coordinated with 242 hospitals and medical networks nationwide so that treatment, preventive measures and proper procedures are in place for insured victim. The Ministry of Public Health wants no one to have to bear their own treatment costs.”

Todsaphon advised people to take care of their health – washing the hands frequently with soap, using a handkerchief when coughing or sneezing and a facemask in crowds, exercising regularly and getting enough rest.

Anyone who has regular contact with Chinese tourists should be even more cautious, he said.

Questions can be posed via the Department of Disease Control’s 1422 hotline, the Medical Service System Management Bureau at 02 956 2498 or 1506, and any provincial social security office, he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381700

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-06

"The Ministry of Public Health wants no one to have to bear their own treatment costs.”

I somehow doubt that includes foreigners. But if it does that sure solves the O-A visa medical insurance issue!

Edited by saengd
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Anyone who has regular contact with Chinese tourists should be even more cautious, he said.

Why?The fatality rate outside of the province of Hubei is a negligible 0.16% marginally greater than other flu strains at 0.13%.

.https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/   

• Mortality rate in Wuhan was 4.9%.
  • Mortality rate in the Hubei Province was 3.1%.
  • Mortality rate nationwide was 2.1%.
  • Fatality rate in other provinces is 0.16%
Edited by FarFlungFalang

10 minutes ago, kotsak said:

"anyone"? ????

My thought exactly? It is a little vague as to if foreigners can get such insurance. You would like to think that the public health need should come before deterring people from getting necessary treatment to avoid potentially nasty bills. The man makes mention that it "was no longer “a distant matter” for Thais." I suspect that any foreigner found to have caught it will get top treatment with a minimal bill, at least while the numbers of people infected are low anyway. Publicity demands they don't let people die for lack of money.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

“The SSO has coordinated with 242 hospitals and medical networks nationwide so that treatment, preventive measures and proper procedures are in place for insured victim. The Ministry of Public Health wants no one to have to bear their own treatment costs.”

That seems to say they are talking about SS insured persons.

34 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I suspect that any foreigner found to have caught it will get top treatment with a minimal bill, at least while the numbers of people infected are low anyway. Publicity demands they don't let people die for lack of money.

This is correct - suspecting something is even free of charge...

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Why would it include foreigners?

The article in the OP reads: The Social Security Office is ready to insure anyone who becomes infected with the coronavirus to cover their medical bills.

"Anyone" does that include resident expats, I think not.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, saengd said:

The article in the OP reads: The Social Security Office is ready to insure anyone who becomes infected with the coronavirus to cover their medical bills.

"Anyone" does that include resident expats, I think not.

Yes, that´s what it stands. I know that. Do you know what it means? Probably not.

To get benefits from a Social Security Office in a country, you must be a citizen or in some way be connected to that office by for example working long time in the country.

So, other people know, and you do not have to think no more. You are not included if you do not present as a person of any of the categories I mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

To get benefits from a Social Security Office in a country, you must be a citizen or in some way be connected to that office by for example working long time in the country.

Health care with Social Security is for employees under the SS scheme.

Citizens who are not in the system won't be covered under this plan.

Foreigners under this plan will be covered.

Coverage starts after 3 months in the system, not after working a 'long time'.

You can continue to be covered for 432 baht a month after you quit working or otherwise lose employment as long as you had 12 months of paid coverage.

Terry

8 hours ago, TerryLH said:

Health care with Social Security is for employees under the SS scheme.

Citizens who are not in the system won't be covered under this plan.

Foreigners under this plan will be covered.

Coverage starts after 3 months in the system, not after working a 'long time'.

You can continue to be covered for 432 baht a month after you quit working or otherwise lose employment as long as you had 12 months of paid coverage.

Terry

Yes, I know that. Does that make my post any less true? Didn´t I say that people have to work for it? Did I say that foreigner can´t be covered?

Edited by Matzzon
  • Sad 1