Re-newing Retirement Visa Problem?

OK it runs out 12th June [sat] Athough given plenty of time and funds available my bank cocked up and the transfer to my Thai bank maybe tight for time.

Is there any leeway, looks like it could be Monday 14th 2 days late??

Whats the score?? I have my 90 day registraton form [(90 days from 14th may]

will I have to let it expire, leave, and get my No Imm O again and re-apply, or is there some grace period, I had intended to go to the IMM' at Sikhong in Pratcup

Thanks in advance for any Advice

Go to immigration and ask for an extension and tell them about the bank problem. Maybe they will believe you and start the process with you returning later with bank deposit letter, especially if only a small amount below requirements. Or they may let you have a few days extension. Worst case would be new visa/restart but suspect you will not have to go that route; unless your account has been empty for an extended period that can not be explained.

I can't understand why it will take that amount of time to get money here if the funds are available as wire transfer should only take a day or two so you might want to look for a new bank.

Bank!! maybe it was my fault, I sent one fax on the amount needed but then the rate went upquite a bit so I sent another increasing the funds to be transfered, They have now added both ammounts to-gether and put an hold on the transfer, I called to validate the cacellation of the first Fax, this appears to have sent them into utter confusion, even after 5 Phone calls ??. Should be Ok to-day once it appears online as a transfer i'll print it off and take it down, hope the guy is in a good mood :o

thanks!!

Go with Lopburi3's approach.

DO NOT let that visa expire, or you have start all over again,

with a trip to Penang for a new visa!!

Lop has told it as it is, and try hard not to let the visa extension expire coz it is back to square one if it does.

Bank!! maybe it was my fault, I sent one fax on the amount needed but then the rate went upquite a bit ....

My bank requires me to state in the foreign currency how much I want to wire to a foreign country. Therefore, I don't need to worry about forex conversion rates.

You might consider doing that next time.

My bank requires me to state in the foreign currency how much I want to wire to a foreign country. Therefore, I don't need to worry about forex conversion rates.

Perhaps you should. I would check that your bank is not converting to foreign currency at a very unfavorable rate (for you) if this is the case. You could be losing several percent.

My Advice ...

Start your Extension application BEFORE expiry

Complete Form TM.7 and pay the Bht 1,900 fee.

When you meet the Immigration Officer explain the Problem

- they will probably give you a short extension.

They gave me 15 days in Bangkok.

When I took the Bank Papers a week later,

I was out within 5 mins with my one year extension.

Roger

Thanks guys, went to Sikhong nr Pratchup yesterday, explained the problem got 14days extention no problems. Money is in the system should be cleared early next week . Go back and extend my Rtr Visa.

One thing I found out, the Medical cert I had from the Dr at my local clinic was no good, have to get it from the hostpital ?? no probs got an appointment for later.

• 3 weeks later...

No probs went back when the money came through, got it !! also got my multi-entry permit while I was there, No more worries for another year. Anyone down this way should consider Sikhong, its quite and the staff helpfull. :o

Thanks for your advice.

PS and thanks to Roger13 for his e-mail. :D

You paid 30 Baht for your Medical Certificate ?

What hospital did you go to ?

I was at Bumrungrad on Soi 3 today to get mine.

It took less than 30 minutes, but I was

charged 380 Baht.

BTW, my bank, Bangkok Bank charged me

200 Baht for the letter verifying funds came

from overseas into Thailand.

I hope my trip to Immigration will go smoothly.

We'll see later this week

Renewing my Non-Immigrant O Visa.

Is there a new rule that I now need a Medical Certificate? I did not previously.I am 63 years old and in reasonable nick. At twighlight I can pass for sixty-two and three quarters.

Please check my checklist as I always seem to get something wrong

1) Application form - remember to write in telephone number

2) Passport plus photocopies of main page, visa, entry stamp and arrivals and departure card. Sign and date the photocopies.

3) Bankbook and letter from the bank confirming I have in excess of Bt800,000 in the bank and that the money came from abroad. Photocopy of bankbook?

4) Fee Bt1900

5) One 4x6 cm photograph

My thanks in advance

Renewing my Non-Immigrant O Visa.

Is there a new rule that I now need a Medical Certificate? I did not previously.I am 63 years old and in reasonable nick. At twighlight I can pass for sixty-two and three quarters.

Please check my checklist as I always seem to get something wrong

1) Application form - remember to write in telephone number

2) Passport plus photocopies of main page, visa, entry stamp and arrivals and departure card. Sign and date the photocopies.

3) Bankbook and letter from the bank confirming I have in excess of Bt800,000 in the bank and that the money came from abroad. Photocopy of bankbook?

4) Fee Bt1900

5) One 4x6 cm photograph

My thanks in advance

Hi Wowpow - Member No 9 (WOW!)

Yes a Medical Cert is a requirement now.

When I extended my Retirement Visa

first week in June - I was not asked for one.

But when I took my Passport & Papers to the

Senior Officer for her Signature - she explained

to me that a Medical Cert was now a new requirement

and I would need to bring one next year.

So - the same could happen to you

but to avoid being asked to go and get one

I would suggest you get one before you go.

From other postings on the subject

(you could do a search) it is easy to obtain.

Yes you need photocopy of ALL used pages of your

Bank Passbook - signed by you.

Bht 800,000 is the Current requirement.

Are you not "GrandFathered" at a lower amount?

I originally had to show Bht500,000

(under previous rules) this time I showed

Bht 200,000 - BUT I did give evidence of

Pension Income from British Embassy

Roger

WowPow no probs just check your blood pressure and see if your still breathing. your'll need one though.

I took in my bank book let them photo copy it, I needed two pics?? and one for my multi-entry permit

good luck :o

I took in my bank book let them photo copy it

Fergy,

Sorry - I don't think this is good advice.

Especially in Suan Phlu

Maybe you had a VERY helpful officer

but I think I am right to say that it is not a NORMAL service !!!

Roger

Fergy,

Especially in Suan Phlu

Agree, but perhaps he paid for the service. I recently noted a photo copy service next to elevator at Suan Phau where I assume you can pay to have copies made (but could be wrong as have not used it).

Fergy,

Especially in Suan Phlu

Agree, but perhaps he paid for the service. I recently noted a photo copy service next to elevator at Suan Phau where I assume you can pay to have copies made (but could be wrong as have not used it).

Yes there is a Photocopy Service

on the Ground Floor of Suan Phlu

(And I have seen a suggestion that

copies should be made there - although

I am unaware of how that could be identified)

Maybe he did have to pay for the copies.

My point was - it is not normal for the Officers to

do or organise the copies - so nobody should

be lead into believing otherwise.

You will normally be told to get the Copies yourself !!

Roger

Thanks guys I feel confident now. Strange how these rules appear from nowhere, it's seems like creative policing.

It would be useful if Thaivisa had a list of instructions on this under their Visa information. If it is there I coul not find.

2lz2p has given me peermission to copy his excellent post and check list here. It was originally on sawatdeeforum.com and is now also on pattayacityexpats.com

It may be of use to our moderators when they find time to update the Visa info. on the main board.

"Extending one year retirement visa - what is needed

I just completed my extension using retirement income of over 800,000 baht as the qualifying factor. My first one year extension expired on July 10. I made application on July 2nd (Friday) and picked up the passport with new extension the following week - now extended until July 10, 2005).

The documents required by Thai Immigration at Soi 8 were (Note: each photocopy needs your original signature:

1. Application - 2 originals (completed front and back)

2. Photographs - 2 (obtained from shop next to Immigration Office)

3. Medical Certificate - original & 1 photocopy (can be obtained at most medical clinics or hosptials)

4. Letter from Thai Bank certifying account and current balance - original & 1 photocopy (although I was using certification of income, the Immigration Officer required I have the letter from the bank - the bank should have the form)

5. Thai Bank Passbook - 2 photocopies of name page AND 2 photocopies of last page showing balance

6. Embassy Letter certifying income - 2 photocopies [NOTE: have original for Immigration officer to see - he told me to keep the original as I can use it again next year for renewal - so that will save me another trip to Bangkok and $30 fee charged by US Embassy - the Embassy has a form letter to be used for this purpose]

7. Passport - 2 photocopies of name/picture page, 2 photocopies of pages with Thai Immigration Stamps (I included original type "O" visa, the previous one year extension, and the last entry stamp at Bangkok airport)

8. TM Departure Card - 2 photocopies of the front (completed and (usually) stapled into your passport by Thai Immigration when you arrived).

I spent about a half hour on the Friday visit, which included the first Immigration Officer at the "Retirement" desk looking over documents and taking the 1,900 baht fee.

There was a short wait and then a visit to the Thai Captain (lady) at the nearby desk to enter info on to Thai form in her computer - she asked me a few questions - how long I had lived at my present address, my current telephone number there, whether I lived alone and if not who with and for how long. She may ask you for 500 baht (not required, up to you, but remember TIT).

On Monday, it was a few minutes while they located my passport and handed it to me (give the claim check they give you on first visit to the same Thai Captain).

Overall, a very simple and painless procedure.

Additionally, I asked the Captain about my extension for next year since my passport will expire in early 2006. She said they would extend my stay until my passport expiration date. Prior to the expiration date, I would need to bring in my new passport and they would enter the appropriate information in the new passport and extend my stay (I should have, but didn't ask if I had to do a new application and it would extend my stay another 12 months OR if they just continued the extension in the new passport to complete the remainder of the 12 month period - I'll get that clarified when I renew next year)."

"Overall, a very simple and painless proceedure" quote Hummm?