Investment Platform Recommendations

I shall be moving to Thailand and an interested in opening an investment Platform to buy funds, etc but don't have any experience in this field hence the posting.

I am a UK citizen if that makes a difference. Can I open a platform in Thailand and if so what is required? Is there any benefit / downside from opening in Thailand Vs UK in terms of tax implications, cost, platform availability, etc?

Note this wouldn't be a pension just an investment vehicle. May buy a few shares too.

Thanks in advance. 

You're far better off opening an account in the UK.  Much better selection of funds.  Lower fund management charges.

There's a simple overview of available UK platforms at https://www.boringmoney.co.uk/isas-pensions/isas-pensions/

If you're planning on retiring to Thailand and hoping to be deemed not domiciled in the UK upon your death, to avoid inheritance tax you'd want to keep less than £325,000 in the account (assuming no other assets in the UK), in which case an offshore account might be a better option. 

That said, if you have earned income in Thailand, there are some attractive tax perks for investing in LTFs and RMFs in Thailand which you should look into.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

USD classes of mutual funds do exist, though I don't think you'll find them on most UK platforms.  You will find them on offshore platforms such as Internaxx.

USD classes of ETFs trade on the London Stock Exchange.

• Thanks 1