Importing a motorcycle from Europe

P100

Does anyone have some more recent information about how to import a motorcycle into Thailand be it temporarily or permanently. I do know it is difficult and better to buy in Thailand instead but I cannot get the model I want so there is no other way than self importing it.

I talk about my own 1 year old motorcycle, not a new one.

Would appreciate any help. Is there a company doing this professionally. (Import from Switzerland)

Thank you.

They banned second hand imports last Oct I think, but I saw another post that someone had tried it a couple of years ago, and when trying to get it through import and road worthy/ reg checks was just getting the run-around.

One of my hobbies in the UK are old Honda CB250N/CB400N circa 1980 (Superdreams or Honda Hawks as called in Japan & America). A decade ago the plan was to try and find one in Thailand registered, frame and engine and I could bring a bit from the Uk every trip. Not to be on both counts, I would not even post a small parcel to Thailand now, never mind a Motorcyle!

I'm just incompatible with the current Thailand, in so many ways....

Still got the train set though, for the son (sometimes).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, P100 said:

Does anyone have some more recent information about how to import a motorcycle into Thailand be it temporarily or permanently.

No !!  don't think there is any new info, same old for riding into Thailand and out again, for it to stay forget it.

Many bikes here available and to custom to what you want is possible.

12 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

They banned second hand imports last Oct I think, but I saw another post that someone had tried it a couple of years ago, and when trying to get it through import and road worthy/ reg checks was just getting the run-around.

One of my hobbies in the UK are old Honda CB250N/CB400N circa 1980 (Superdreams or Honda Hawks as called in Japan & America). A decade ago the plan was to try and find one in Thailand registered, frame and engine and I could bring a bit from the Uk every trip. Not to be on both counts, I would not even post a small parcel to Thailand now, never mind a Motorcyle!

I'm just incompatible with the current Thailand, in so many ways....

Still got the train set though, for the son (sometimes).

https://thai.webike.net/en/sd/1904328

These topics always make me think of what became of all the rental bikes in Pattaya. I left Pattaya in 1982 and rented (depending on mood) a 1980 Honda CB 750, a Honda VF400 or a Suzuki RM250.

Perhaps the poster should get out and about and try to track down something in Thailand.

Edited by Toosetinmyways
Spelling

On 2/9/2020 at 1:10 PM, Toosetinmyways said:

These topics always make me think of what became of all the rental bikes in Pattaya. I left Pattaya in 1982 and rented (depending on mood) a 1980 Honda CB 750, a Honda VF400 or a Suzuki RM250.

Perhaps the poster should get out and about and try to track down something in Thailand.

my old mate Eddie  has been busy restoring 5 CB750s back to mint for  last 4 years ,,thy seem to be worth between 400k and 600k when finished ,,now he is doing a Norton Atlas 750,

• Haha 1

Thailand's recent ban on secondhand imports seems to have totally ignored the trade in classic bikes and cars - now almost impossible to get anything in.

You can get a bike in, in bits if you know the right shipper - I saw a Harley in bits that had just 'arrived' a couple of weeks ago. What you can't do is register it.

I was looking for an XS650 in Thailand but most of them have been chopped and the ones that haven't, if/when you find them, are megabucks. Apparently, that model was never officially imported into Thailand. Last year I was about to buy one in the UK and send it to Thailand under the old legal CKD (completely knocked down) scheme when the new law came in - gave up. 

There's quite a few bikes on the road in Thailand with no tabien (registration) - the riders of such bikes don't seem to worry too much about it (probably a 200 baht 'fine') but as a foreigner, I wouldn't take any chances.

21 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

my old mate Eddie  has been busy restoring 5 CB750s back to mint for  last 4 years ,,thy seem to be worth between 400k and 600k when finished ,,now he is doing a Norton Atlas 750,

I could be interested in a Kawasaki H2 1973 or thereabout.