UK plans to introduce border controls on EU goods after post-Brexit transition

webfact

7 hours ago, Logosone said:

Maybe you didn't understand the 1st time, the UK has a population of 66 million, most of whom do not work, the UK has long ago maxed out its credit card and has among the largest debt mountains any country in the world. It has an ageing population that is used to getting freebies by the state. As are the unemployed. As are the millions of users of the NHS. The UK is addicted to debt. The idea of the UK being a low tax haven is ludicrous. It just won't happen. For the simple reason that the UK is not a teeny tiny toy country that can afford the low tax route, the UK needs its tax revenues to sustain its creaking free hands out edifice which is bursting at the seams. The UK already has one of the worst health services in the western world, imagine if it cut off the tax funding of the NHS. There'd be riots in the streets.

Kindly stop espousing full on nonsense ideas like the UK becoming a tax haven. It will never happen.

Clearly you didnt read my post correctly

The European Banking Federation (EBF) will put pressure on the EU to reach a deal on financial services. I suspect this is the first in a long line of industries who will do the same, e.g. the car industry. 

EU Banks Tell Brussels; Markets Are No Place for Brexit Politics

European banks are calling on policy makers to avoid Brexit brinkmanship that could damage financial markets.

The approach aligns European banks with Wall Street and London rivals, which want the ability to keep major operations in London and avoid having to shift more resources and staff across the continent. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-26/eu-banks-tell-brussels-markets-are-no-place-for-brexit-politics

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Logosone said:

Maybe you didn't understand the 1st time, the UK has a population of 66 million, most of whom do not work, the UK has long ago maxed out its credit card and has among the largest debt mountains any country in the world. It has an ageing population that is used to getting freebies by the state. As are the unemployed. As are the millions of users of the NHS. The UK is addicted to debt. The idea of the UK being a low tax haven is ludicrous. It just won't happen. For the simple reason that the UK is not a teeny tiny toy country that can afford the low tax route, the UK needs its tax revenues to sustain its creaking free hands out edifice which is bursting at the seams. The UK already has one of the worst health services in the western world, imagine if it cut off the tax funding of the NHS. There'd be riots in the streets.

Kindly stop espousing full on nonsense ideas like the UK becoming a tax haven. It will never happen.

The EU already has 7 member states that the EU have classed as Low tax Havens, I suspect they don't want the UK to become a Low tax haven as the UK would be outside of EU control and could offer direct competition to these countries

Seven EU countries (Belgium, Cyprus, Hungary, Ireland, Luxembourg, Malta and The Netherlands) display traits of a tax haven and facilitate aggressive tax planning;

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20190225IPR28727/tax-crimes-special-committee-calls-for-a-european-financial-police-force

PS UK currently has 33 million people in work or 76.5% of the working population

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Moving businesses to another country is expensive and that's probably the reason some of the EBF members would not want to do so. 

But when the no-deal brexit comes, they have to do so anyway. It will be just a short term pain and everything will be just fine after a bit of time. 

It's the price of financial sovereignty! Brexit is brexit and it has now been done!

It's the disruption they don't want, and the fallout from that. Financial markets are fragile, and if disruption occurred as a result of bloody minded and stubborn EU bureaucrats, we would all suffer the consequences. That's why an agreement will be reached in the end. 

11 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

It's the disruption they don't want, and the fallout from that. Financial markets are fragile, and if disruption occurred as a result of bloody minded and stubborn EU bureaucrats, we would all suffer the consequences. That's why an agreement will be reached in the end. 

True, they don't want to pay the price of Brexit. However, regardless whatever happens at this point, they will partly pay the bill. Along with common people on both sides of the hard brexit border. 

There is not going to be any substantial service agreement, like passporting for financial sector. There however will be some essential mini agreements, including aviation etc. But those are just normal agreements between countries near or far away.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Fortunately the UK won't have weak minded and submissive types like yourself negotiating on our behalf. Especially since Appeaser May was ousted. 

You can send Conan the Barbarian for all the difference it will make.

France and Germany will be looking at all those financial services and bank operations and thinking "Hey, we could have that lot over here. Look at all the lovely high paid jobs and tax revenue we can have."

Now I can guess what you are thinking. What about access to our fishing grounds. We can use that as leverage.

Guess again. The EU is going to tell us that if we want to sell our fishing catches in europe we will grant access. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You can send Conan the Barbarian for all the difference it will make.

France and Germany will be looking at all those financial services and bank operations and thinking "Hey, we could have that lot over here. Look at all the lovely high paid jobs and tax revenue we can have."

Now I can guess what you are thinking. What about access to our fishing grounds. We can use that as leverage.

Guess again. The EU is going to tell us that if we want to sell our fishing catches in europe we will grant access. 

As I've already explained, the disruption caused by France and Germany trying to take over the UK financial system would be disastrous for global financial markets, would take years, and will simply not happen.

Ask yourself why France and Germany have never made a dent in the UK's position as the financial services hub for Europe, even before we were conned into joining the common market. It's not what they are good at. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

As I've already explained, the disruption caused by France and Germany trying to take over the UK financial system would be disastrous for global financial markets, would take years, and will simply not happen.

Ask yourself why France and Germany have never made a dent in the UK's position as the financial services hub for Europe, even before we were conned into joining the common market. It's not what they are good at. 

Why would it take years? Why is England better at that stuff than the Germans or French?

Really looking forward to reading the reply.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Why would it take years? Why is England better at that stuff than the Germans or French?

Really looking forward to reading the reply.

Why are the Germans better at car manufacturing? Why are the French famous for their cheese and wine? Why are Japanese good at robotics etc? Some countries are better than others at stuff. 

35 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Yes, the disruptions will be great and yes the takeover will take years. However it will happen. Not today, not in the next year, but in timespan of 5 years or so.

As England decided to rip itself from the EU to commit Brexit in the name of sovereignty, it's only natural that there is bill to be paid. 

Each party will pay part of the bill, that's given. However most of the damages will be felt at City of London. 

Do remember, Brexit was never supposed to happen, by the people who lead the agenda. They were there only for themselves, to boost their own egos and presence in the old world social media.

Unfortunately the brexiteers now have to own the decision, what they supported. Own the responsibilities and rather harsh realities which comes with Brexit. 

Good luck with your journey. The ball is on your hands now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Why are the Germans better at car manufacturing? Why are the French famous for their cheese and wine? Why are Japanese good at robotics etc? Some countries are better than others at stuff. 

The Germans are no better at building cars than UK workers. Hence why we had all those foreign car plants in the northeast. 

You think the French are better at cheese? Do I not remember Brexiteers championing Stilton as the greatest cheese on earth that the Europeans would be holding their government at gunpoint to ensure an uninterrupted supply? Along with Melton Mobray pork pies ????.

Robotics is something Brexiteers assured me that the UK was a world leader in. 

You guys really need to start remembering all the self evident truths you all claimed. You are making yourselves look foolish now.

So why are English people better at financial services that Germans or the French?

Please remember before you answer it would appear that the Americans and Japanese seem a lot better at it than you guys ????.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Yes, the disruptions will be great and yes the takeover will take years. However it will happen. Not today, not in the next year, but in timespan of 5 years or so.

As England decided to rip itself from the EU to commit Brexit in the name of sovereignty, it's only natural that there is bill to be paid. 

Each party will pay part of the bill, that's given. However most of the damages will be felt at City of London. 

Do remember, Brexit was never supposed to happen, by the people who lead the agenda. They were there only for themselves, to boost their own egos and presence in the old world social media.

Unfortunately the brexiteers now have to own the decision, what they supported. Own the responsibilities and rather harsh realities which comes with Brexit. 

Good luck with your journey. The ball is on your hands now.

It will not take years. These financial institutions can adapt and move themselves lock, stock and barrel within a couple of months.

All they really need is some office space. Decent internet connections and a local supply of red braces.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

I tend to agree with Rookiescot here. The financial markets, and the shakers and movers doing the backroom jobs have changed dramatically. lloyds may remain an important insurer of insurers, but the kids writing algorithms, the data scientists and the programmers, can work from anywhere. There are four (All around 30 years old) in our family, they work wherever they want. They only need a good wifi connection and they are off. In Maths and related subjects, you peak early, the older financiers are way out of their depth with this stuff, but are shrewd enough to employ younger folk for whom it is second nature. Why not Paris or Frankfurt, or Goa for that matter. 

I'm afraid your  "Disastrous for global financial markets" line is completely out of date, it belongs to a stable era of jobs for life in big offices, which has been disappearing for a while. 

A certain amount of wishful thinking going on IMHO.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

(Maybe a more early than June walk away.....? ???? )

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/02/eu-warns-uk-to-tone-down-political-rhetoric-as-trade-talks-start-brexit

EU warns UK to tone down political rhetoric as trade talks start

Senior EU diplomats fear rising temperature risks smothering Brexit negotiations

The EU is urging Britain to drop the “political rhetoric” around Brexit as historic talks on the future trading relationship open in Brussels.

As an army of 100 officials led by Britain’s chief Brexit negotiator, David Frost, descend on the Belgian capital on Monday, senior EU diplomats are warning that if the political temperature continues to rise over Brexit in the UK it will risk smothering talks.

They are concerned about the political relationship between the UK and the EU, characterised by furious language including warnings that each side will “rip” each other apart, and the second relationship – that among officials tasked with examining the deeper, drier technical complexities of disentangling and reimaging 47 years of joint laws and regulations.

more...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, david555 said:

(Maybe a more early than June walk away.....? ???? )

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/mar/02/eu-warns-uk-to-tone-down-political-rhetoric-as-trade-talks-start-brexit

EU warns UK to tone down political rhetoric as trade talks start

Senior EU diplomats fear rising temperature risks smothering Brexit negotiations

The EU is urging Britain to drop the “political rhetoric” around Brexit as historic talks on the future trading relationship open in Brussels.

As an army of 100 officials led by Britain’s chief Brexit negotiator, David Frost, descend on the Belgian capital on Monday, senior EU diplomats are warning that if the political temperature continues to rise over Brexit in the UK it will risk smothering talks.

They are concerned about the political relationship between the UK and the EU, characterised by furious language including warnings that each side will “rip” each other apart, and the second relationship – that among officials tasked with examining the deeper, drier technical complexities of disentangling and reimaging 47 years of joint laws and regulations.

more...

I wonder how long EU negotiators and the EU people keep on having 'understanding suspension of words' as English government keeps on acting not as wise adult which wishes to protect his offsprings, but as a childish teenager, who simply don't care about anyone but himself. 

I guess not too long anymore. 

When that change happens, the real talks are going to start. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, evadgib said:

There is no English Govt or Parliament. Your anti English rants are nothing more than deliberate trolling and its high time you gave it a rest.

Johnnie Foreigner’s Brit Bashing is so obvious trolling that it’s not even worth a response. 

21 minutes ago, evadgib said:

There is no English Govt or Parliament. Your anti English rants are nothing more than deliberate trolling and its high time you gave it a rest.

There is soon. You just have to be patient.

I understand that you are not eager to face the realities and wish to shut down all the objections against your dreams of... ... ... to strengthen England!

Calling abuse of people as anti English rant has already become such an old cliche. Please stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheDark said:

Somehow I start to see the English brexiteerism stagnation to the pas, the way Muslim world experienced. Maybe that's also the deep inside reason, why brexiteers are so much against other cultures - because those other cultures gives historical ideas, who they are.

A long time ago, Persia used to be the beacon of advance in sciences and society matters. Their society unfortunately became filled with people with stagnated ways of thinking, simply because they wished to hold the power over other people. Once a super power of the world, now a sad example of an country, which is ruled by old fashioned thoughts.

That is a lot what England has become. Once the world's number one superpower, which failed to renew herself, because some old people wanted to keep their power over others. Giving freedoms to the youth would mean, that these elderly people would not anymore be respected as the youth learned better ideas elsewhere. 

So. Brexit is Brexit and it's done now. 

I wish you and the other member of your tag-team were. These mindless blatherings are just repeat discharges of effluent. 

52 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Johnnie Foreigner’s Brit Bashing is so obvious trolling that it’s not even worth a response. 

Agreed. I've just received conformation that I was wasting my time yet if ???????? were deliberately blamed for something done in ???????? or any other pair of 'near-miss' states there would be zero tolerance. I guess that's what passes for impartiality on a website devoid of a credible complaints process.

4 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I tend to agree with Rookiescot here. The financial markets, and the shakers and movers doing the backroom jobs have changed dramatically. lloyds may remain an important insurer of insurers, but the kids writing algorithms, the data scientists and the programmers, can work from anywhere. There are four (All around 30 years old) in our family, they work wherever they want. They only need a good wifi connection and they are off. In Maths and related subjects, you peak early, the older financiers are way out of their depth with this stuff, but are shrewd enough to employ younger folk for whom it is second nature. Why not Paris or Frankfurt, or Goa for that matter. 

I'm afraid your  "Disastrous for global financial markets" line is completely out of date, it belongs to a stable era of jobs for life in big offices, which has been disappearing for a while. 

A certain amount of wishful thinking going on IMHO.  

And you're entitled to that opinion. Mine is based on 30 years in financial services. I only left a year ago, so I have also seen and worked with the new kids on the block. Yes the maths geeks and programmers can work remotely. But the real business is done (winning the big mandates etc.) face to face still. If a bank wants to win a multi-billion dollar financing mandate for Blackrock they send in their team of experts in finance, risk, algos etc. etc.

And they meet in central London where the heavyweight managers and financiers want to live and work. Certainly not in grim Frankfurt. And as for Paris, the French have a long established reputation for over-regulation and risk aversion in financial products. They are too restrictive. 

We shall see, but I stand by my opinion that the EU and the UK will reach an agreement, mainly to avoid the huge negative impact of not doing so. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

The Germans are no better at building cars than UK workers. Hence why we had all those foreign car plants in the northeast. 

You think the French are better at cheese? Do I not remember Brexiteers championing Stilton as the greatest cheese on earth that the Europeans would be holding their government at gunpoint to ensure an uninterrupted supply? Along with Melton Mobray pork pies ????.

Robotics is something Brexiteers assured me that the UK was a world leader in. 

You guys really need to start remembering all the self evident truths you all claimed. You are making yourselves look foolish now.

So why are English people better at financial services that Germans or the French?

Please remember before you answer it would appear that the Americans and Japanese seem a lot better at it than you guys ????.

I didn't say English. There are plenty of Scots working in London's financial district - a disproportionate number in fact. 

Show me where I or my fellow brexiteers on here championed Stilton cheese and UK robotics, and I'll respond. 

Tell me, would you say that Scotch Whiskey is the best in the world? And if so, why would that be? Why are Scotland good at making whiskey? 

• Like 1