UK plans to introduce border controls on EU goods after post-Brexit transition

webfact

8 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

"But you said new companies would locate here." No I didn't. 

"Presently financial services in London are relocating jobs to the Eu." Only around 1,000 roles have relocated, as part of contingency plans. That's a drop in the ocean.

Financial firms often relocate people. Credit Suisse Europe (London business) opened an office in Dublin way before Brexit, to take advantage of new Irish fund rules and get around some bank capital requirement rules. 

Sorry to disappoint you, but this Brexit exodus is a myth. 

Oh Ok so we should listen to you and not this person.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/banking-finance/dont-be-misled-by-brexit-jobs-trickle-london-finance-chief

So no new companies are going to locate here and the UK is going to hemorrhage huge amounts of business and tax receipts.

Thanks for clearing that up. Us remainers did wonder what you Brexiteers voted for but now we know.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bannork said:

I expect a lot of the Brits who have taken an Irish passport are like my old school chum who has lived in Spain for 30 years. He is married to a Dutch lady and has a large olive farm. He couldn't bear going back to the UK if everything went pear shaped regarding the rights of Brits in Spain post no deal Brexit.

"Olives"?  "pear shaped" lol   funny you quote this,exactly what is happening right now ,right now in Spain (go check)  lol   Spanish farmers manning their tractor/trailers right now , taking action all last week in Spain,being driven to bankruptcy,  over prices for olive oil  kaput ,finished, that and other farm produce finishing them off   lol  eu coming ,or might come to the rescue,but may not  Uk buying olive oil at a third of price of eu produce    lol

Now the Dutch lady (and the Dutch)  are facing complete  wipe out too at the hands of UK fishing ban

Wot a complete <deleted>, Irash passport (just about says it all) duh  another duh  for good measure

Few more  lols  lol  lol  lol

"Rights of Brits in Spain"  more rights than the eu dross hanging on by a thread at the mo in UK on benefits,Brits pay their way in eu, eu dross in UK are,  well in a word  are  dross  lol  lol  lol

Edited by izod10

50 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Oh Ok so we should listen to you and not this person.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/banking-finance/dont-be-misled-by-brexit-jobs-trickle-london-finance-chief

So no new companies are going to locate here and the UK is going to hemorrhage huge amounts of business and tax receipts.

Thanks for clearing that up. Us remainers did wonder what you Brexiteers voted for but now we know.  

Catherine McGuiness is a politician, sabre rattling to put pressure on the government to secure a deal on financial services. I don't blame her for that. 

The fact is, London still attracts the most talented people and companies from around the globe, and will continue to do so. London is the epicentre for fintech in Europe, and fintech is the future of financial services. As Catherine says herself:

"Our unique combination of time zone, language, legal system, global talent, and financial ecosystem is not one that can be easily replicated – especially when combined with Capital’s cultural offer, heritage and open spaces that makes it such an attractive home for people from all over the globe.

We are already leading the world when it comes to innovative growth areas such as fintech, cybersecurity and green finance.

The long-term prospects for the City and London after Brexit are positive but businesses need to be prepared for whatever path we eventually head down on 31 October."

The billionaire financiers want to live in Mayfair, not Frankfurt - one of the most depressing cities I've been to! 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

What on earth do you mean, David?

In 2025 people visiting Schengen are from England are required to keep their passports on their necks at all times when visiting Scotland. 

Meanwhile all the 28 EU nations (Scotland included), are simply required to carry their EU identity cards in their wallets. 

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

What a load of nonsense. And you say Brexiteers believe in unicorns ????

They do. It's located behind the border wall, at the land of rich and bankers. Singapore on Thames.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDark said:

In 2025 people visiting Schengen are from England are required to keep their passports on their necks at all times when visiting Scotland. 

Meanwhile all the 28 EU nations (Scotland included), are simply required to carry their EU identity cards in their wallets. 

The question was not to you and, as we can all see now, with good reason.

6 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The question was not to you and, as we can all see now, with good reason.

Whenever I reply to your comment, I'm not really talking to you, but to the other people who read this text.

And with a good reason. 

Edited by TheDark
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDark said:

I hope you are aware that 'Singapore in Thames' means exactly what it says. Singapore is a well functioning city state, which is well managed, have huge amount of financial business as well as a big logistic port, which serves SEA destinations, mainly China. 

Singapore in Thames means that London becomes an independent region out of then England. London has it's own independent rules and own fiscal policies, budgets, which are not related to England. Quite like Singapore did 50 years ago, when it departed Malaysia and gained her own independency. 

I

You have no idea what you are talking about .

The term "Singapore on Thames" was a reference to the whole of the UK and not just London 

28 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Whenever I reply to your comment, I'm not really talking to you, but to the other people who read this text.

And with a good reason. 

Not a comment, a question, not to you. Other people reading can see that.

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You have no idea what you are talking about .

The term "Singapore on Thames" was a reference to the whole of the UK and not just London 

Oh, why did you decided to cut out the part when I said that it's all been said out loud by the rich brexiteers? Who all are London based (some moved to Singapore).

Singapore on Thames means City of London on Thames. The rest of England is Malaysia. Quite the different breed of people compared to the City people, like we have already seen by now. 

Naturally most London based remainers or rejoiners, will be quite fine with the new division as it brings some prosperity to them, even if that means that they lose some of their freedoms of movement by departing from EU.

The rest of England will be in rather bad situation. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Incorrect 

“Singapore-on-Thames” is shorthand for Britain becoming a low-tax, lightly regulated economy that can out-compete the sclerotic, over-regulated eurozone from a strategic position only 20 miles or so offshore.

What would be the benefit for City of London, to include the rest of England to become part of the Singapore on Thames? 

Why should Citystate London drag along all the burden of the rest of England is as it could do so much better without the rest of England? Why should great people of London keep on giving handouts to the rest of England?

For a commoner it's hard to think like Jacob I and ERG. But when you think like them, you'll see the logic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDark said:

What would be the benefit for City of London, to include the rest of England to become part of the Singapore on Thames? 

Why should Citystate London drag along all the burden of the rest of England is as it could do so much better without the rest of England? Why should great people of London keep on giving handouts to the rest of England?

For a commoner it's hard to think like Jacob I and ERG. But when you think like them, you'll see the logic.

Maybe you didn't understand the 1st time

“Singapore-on-Thames” is shorthand for Britain becoming a low-tax, lightly regulated economy that can out-compete the sclerotic, over-regulated eurozone from a strategic position only 20 miles or so offshore.

Which means, England, Wales,Scotland and Northern Ireland  

2 hours ago, TheDark said:

Oh no!? Are you telling me I have to carry my passport while others only have to carry an ID card? B-y he**, what am I going to do? Should I call a carrier or something? Surely I'm not expected to hurl my passport around, I don't have the luggage for that..?? Container rental perhaps...or what do you suggest??

Damn, every future holiday trip is ruined now when I have to bring a passport...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Oh no!? Are you telling me I have to carry my passport while others only have to carry an ID card? B-y he**, what am I going to do? Should I call a carrier or something? Surely I'm not expected to hurl my passport around, I don't have the luggage for that..?? Container rental perhaps...or what do you suggest??

Damn, every future holiday trip is ruined now when I have to bring a passport...

Whenever you enter a foreign country, yes, you need to have a passport to do so. In the future, this is a requirement when English passport holders (blue passport holders!), will enter Scotland. 

Meanwhile the rest of the EU nationals entering Scotland, will only have to carry their ID-cards. 

Borders are borders. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Maybe you didn't understand the 1st time

“Singapore-on-Thames” is shorthand for Britain becoming a low-tax, lightly regulated economy that can out-compete the sclerotic, over-regulated eurozone from a strategic position only 20 miles or so offshore.

Which means, England, Wales,Scotland and Northern Ireland  

No. Singapore on Thames is London. The rest are periferias for Jacob I and his ERG millionaire and higher status supporters. You should know this by now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheDark said:

No. Singapore on Thames is London. The rest are periferias for Jacob I and his ERG millionaire and higher status supporters. You should know this by now. 

I see you've become fluent in gibberish. Quite impressive! ????

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TheDark said:

No.  “Singapore-on-Thames” is shorthand for Britain becoming a low-tax, lightly regulated economy that can out-compete the sclerotic, over-regulated eurozone from a strategic position only 20 miles or so offshore. is London. The rest are periferias for Jacob I and his ERG millionaire and higher status supporters. You should know this by now. 

Incorrect again as I have already stated  “Singapore-on-Thames” is shorthand for Britain becoming a low-tax, lightly regulated economy that can out-compete the sclerotic, over-regulated eurozone from a strategic position only 20 miles or so offshore.

Now if you believe the term  relates to London only please provide a link to support your claim

25 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Whenever you enter a foreign country, yes, you need to have a passport to do so. In the future, this is a requirement when English passport holders (blue passport holders!), will enter Scotland. 

Meanwhile the rest of the EU nationals entering Scotland, will only have to carry their ID-cards. 

Borders are borders. 

But the question is how am I going to haul my passport around. GIven that this is a logistical nightmare that requires transportation and manpower I thought you'd be able to provide a few suggestions. Honestly, I'm having doubts now regarding the next trip to Greece - do I really have to carry that passport around?? I probably have to cancel, I'm not sure I have the logistical or physical ability to bring my passport...

Thanks for letting me know.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

For those of you worried about the emerging requirement to bring your passport when you travel abroad, I've emailed this company and asked for a quote, I'll let you all know when they reply. We might be able to get a group discount, but considering logistical efforts needed to haul an entire passport around Europe I don't expect this to be cheap.

http://www.forwardtrucking.co.uk/

In addition, as I've read several comments on here regarding having to actually SHOW the passport when you enter another country, I've asked for an indicative cost for that as well. As this is a complex matter - if experts on here are to be believed - I might be forced to get in contact with more academically skilled expertise to cope with this complex task. I'll keep you posted. 

Edited by Forethat
  • Thanks 2

On 2/28/2020 at 11:30 PM, sanemax said:

Isnt the UK economy doing quite well at the moment ?

Wow. Err, no, it isn't.

The UK's share of global manufacturing output has fallen from 22.9% in the 1870s to 13.6% by 1913, 10.7% by 1938, 4.9% by 1973 and to 3.3% in 2016.

If ever there was an economy in full on spectacular decline it is the UK economy.

India and Italy, yes, I said Italy, now produce more than the UK. 

Partly through its own mistakes, closing industrial powerhouses, and partly through being unable to compete with Asian, American and European competitors the UK has suffered an economic decline that is a warning to all of us.

According to the Economist and the BBC the most recent data is especially poor, in the last quarter the UK economy was virtually flat.

"Britain's economy has grown at the slowest annual rate in almost a decade, according to official figures."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50373505

From 2008 to 2009 the UK economy experienced 6 consecutive quarters of negative growth and actually shrank by 6%.

In 2011, household, financial, and business debts stood at 420% of GDP in the UK, making the UK the world's most indebted country.

UK workforce productivity is worse than in 1820. Output per hour is 18% below the G7. Real wage growth is the worst since the 1860s, it is so bad that the Governor of the Bank of England described 2000 to 2010 as the 'lost decade'.

From 2008 to 2016 real wages in the UK FELL 10% in real terms, while the rose in the OECD by an average of 6.7% by comparison.

In 2017 the UK had one of the highest current accound deficits in the world, higher than 7% a level not seen in peacetime since records began in 1772.

No, the UK economy is not doing well, it is in a sustained, spectacular decline.

It is true, there has been a small upward correction after 2016 but this is just a minor correction, overall the UK economy is in spectacular decline.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Wow. Err, no, it isn't.

The UK's share of global manufacturing output has fallen from 22.9% in the 1870s to 13.6% by 1913, 10.7% by 1938, 4.9% by 1973 and to 3.3% in 2016.

If ever there was an economy in full on spectacular decline it is the UK economy.

India and Italy, yes, I said Italy, now produce more than the UK. 

Partly through its own mistakes, closing industrial powerhouses, and partly through being unable to compete with Asian, American and European competitors the UK has suffered an economic decline that is a warning to all of us.

According to the Economist and the BBC the most recent data is especially poor, in the last quarter the UK economy was virtually flat.

"Britain's economy has grown at the slowest annual rate in almost a decade, according to official figures."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50373505

From 2008 to 2009 the UK economy experienced 6 consecutive quarters of negative growth and actually shrank by 6%.

In 2011, household, financial, and business debts stood at 420% of GDP in the UK, making the UK the world's most indebted country.

UK workforce productivity is worse than in 1820. Output per hour is 18% below the G7. Real wage growth is the worst since the 1860s, it is so bad that the Governor of the Bank of England described 2000 to 2010 as the 'lost decade'.

From 2008 to 2016 real wages in the UK FELL 10% in real terms, while the rose in the OECD by an average of 6.7% by comparison.

In 2017 the UK had one of the highest current accound deficits in the world, higher than 7% a level not seen in peacetime since records began in 1772.

No, the UK economy is not doing well, it is in a sustained, spectacular decline.

It is true, there has been a small upward correction after 2016 but this is just a minor correction, overall the UK economy is in spectacular decline.

Garbage   Belive your own irash gibberish    Ireland?   Gawd help them after Brexit applied