Divorcing in Thailand when Thai girl was married overseas - costs involved and are lawyers needed?

bbi1

Looking at getting married to the Thai gf but she needs to sort out her divorce first. She was married overseas to a citizen of that country when she was living in that country many years ago. They broke up at least 3 years ago (the man ended the relationship) and she moved back to Thailand. The marriage was never registered in Thailand. She's been trying to get that guy to do the divorce in his country so everything is all legally done, but he is taking forever and seems in no rush to do it. Other option is for her to do the divorce in Thailand herself claiming abandonment by the husband for over 3 years. She has the original marriage certificate from that country.

How long does a divorce process take from start to finish? Does a lawyer in Thailand need to be consulted to do a divorce, or can she do it herself? Does anyone know roughly the costs to get a divorce here in Thailand when someone was married overseas? Anyone know or have experience on the best way of doing this in Thailand?

She's been trying to research it online from other Thai people who also were married overseas and divorced here and apparently it can cost around US$2,000 which to me seems ridiculous. If all divorces cost that much, that could also be a reason why her ex is not keen or in a rush to get the divorce finalised in his country.

11 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Looking at getting married to the Thai gf but she needs to sort out her divorce first.

You have three choices,

1) Just live with her, a fairly common state in Thailand.

2) Choose a woman with less potentially expensive problems.

3) Marry her in Thailand, and forget the unrecognised foreign marriage. 

Surprised she told you, you sure she isn't just looking for $2,000?

Sick buffalo, Mom needs an operation, I've got some land to plant rubber trees, I just need some money for a divorce ..... et al.

I'm of the opinion serial foreigner hunters aren't worth much effort, but understand you might feel differently.

Choose wisely and good luck.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

Beware a university gal, might have big

ideas and might be smarter than you.

Check the depth before you dive in.

My Missus is Lao, never had education, but

smart enough to rip through a Times sudoku,

and keep me amused for 21 yrs.

Edited by talahtnut
addition
  • Haha 1

Presuming that you are not an expert on matrimonial law in whatever country your wife was married, the easiest solution is to get a lawyer in the country in which she was married

It is possible to get a divorce in Thailand even if married abroad, but usually that is done where there is consent of the parties involved. Whether you can register the marriage here unilaterally and then apply for a divorce from the Thai courts (which most countries would accept as a valid divorce) is something that a Thai lawyer familiar with family law should be able to advise you on.

Bear in mind that some countries have archaic marriage laws so don't permit divorce without consent of both parties, or have rules such as 5 year separation without consent (i.e. you would have to wait another 2 years to divorce unilaterally) etc. Without knowing which country is involved or the type of marriage involved (different countries have different customs for wedding ceremonies, and not all are valid for these purposes), it is impossible to even do basic research on what is required. 

The poster suggesting you get married in Thailand regardless isn't completely wrong. You can get what is referred to a temple wedding where you basically get a public blessing as a couple which gives some legitimacy to the relationship and a public ceremony to which she can invite her (and your) family etc. but don't register the marriage at the Amphur as this could cause problems for one or both of you down the line as of course registering the 'legal' marriage would be technically a criminal offence as being bigamous and would be legally void if it ever came to it.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

You both fly back to what ever country she is married in. Hire a lawyer and pay whatever it cost. As she is worth everything to you. Getting a thai girl out of a problem that is not your problem is a stupid thing to do. Wake up. 30,000,00 thai women and this one is the best of all thailand. 555. Why you fooling around with a married women? 

If they are legally separated, then she is only married in a technical sense. Quite a judgemental post

hahaha, you worry for 2000$

you probably will quotes here from some "lawyer" and it will cost you MUCH MUCH MORE

thai - thai is cheap

if a farang is involved, the sky is the limit and you FARANG has no choice but PAYING the ridiculous price, knowing the average thai here earns 300 baht a day and they ask that per 5 MINUTES, well they will per hour !!!   6000 - 9000 baht per hour or more of "consultation", 25.000 - 99.999 baht per appearance in court ...

21 hours ago, bbi1 said:

None of those 3 options work for us. I want things to all be done legally for down the track, especially if we will later on be buying property and investments together. Plus it's not a good idea to have a non-legal marriage in Thailand when later on I will probably be staying here on a Non-O marriage option rather than METV.

No sick buffalo, no operation, etc. She's not from Issan or one of these hookers that many foreigners seem to like to get into a relationship with. All out expenses are shared, she has a decent job and is university educated.

She will be the owner of the property and investments and you will be the ATM provider

21 hours ago, bbi1 said:

This is right on.  If you go through a the divorce in another country you will need an attorney.  If it is uncontested it should go fairly fast.  If the husband contests it, then it could be protracted sometimes for several years.  

Assuming she does get the divorce, she would need to get the divorce papers from that country and have them translated to Thai.  Some countries require that only government approved translators translate and certify to the translation.  The papers depending on the country may have to be notarized. Finally, the papers have to go to the Thai Embassy in the country where the divorce is filed and the Thai Embassy needs to certify them.  Upon return to Thailand the certified papers with the Thai Embassy stamp have to go the the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bankgok to be legalized.  Now finally you can go to the local Amphoe and begin the process of getting married her in Thailand.  I know the process because my fiance is divorced in another country. 

If your fiance has her passport and Thai ID in her maiden name, the Thai government will never know she was ever married and you can get married here.  If you go through the divorce, I would not be surprised that they will require that she get her marriage papers translated, notarized and certified by the foreign country change her Thai ID to her married name and then proceed with changing it again with the divorce papers. 

Look online for simple divorces. Should cost $139 for the paperwork or so. Court costs are different.

Or do it yourself in the USA for uncontested divorces.

1. Find the right court. You'll petition for divorce in the county where either you or your spouse lives. ...
  2. Fill out your forms. Stop into the courthouse and ask for divorce forms. ...
  3. Submit your paperwork. ...
  4. Ask your spouse to agree to service. ...
  5. Schedule a court hearing. ...
  6. Attend a court hearing.

BTW. I have known a bunch of Issan Gals and they are fun and most not lazy.

Edited by holy cow cm

2 hours ago, jimn said:

Who the hell do you think you are to come on here and insult girls from Issan. Do you really think your girl is any different and her s**t dont stink. There are many ex working Issan girls married with foreign husbands and the marriges work fine. Of course there are exceptions as there are with so called  "university educated" girls. The problem with these girls that they are sometimes living a hi so life. Their expectations are different. One of my friends is married to one such girl. He is always spending a fotune on her, taking her to expensive restaurants, expensive shopping trips, so she can post photos on Facebook to impress her friends and keep her "face". Make sure you know what you are getting into before you start dissing other people. After that comment you made, I doubt you will get much advice on here.

Pot calling kettle black?

22 hours ago, bbi1 said:

None of those 3 options work for us. I want things to all be done legally for down the track, especially if we will later on be buying property and investments together. Plus it's not a good idea to have a non-legal marriage in Thailand when later on I will probably be staying here on a Non-O marriage option rather than METV.

No sick buffalo, no operation, etc. She's not from Issan or one of these hookers that many foreigners seem to like to get into a relationship with. All out expenses are shared, she has a decent job and is university educated.

If <deleted>  was music she'd be in the London Philharmonic 

• Haha 1

Honestly, if she was a good girl she would have divorced 3 years ago from "whatever country she got married in". 

I got an unbelievable amount of grief from dating tinder women even though I was separated from my wife and divorce was a sure thing. Apparently it's a big no to date with a married person regardless if they don't even speak to the ex.

So yeah.... Something dodgy is going on for sure. 

On 2/11/2020 at 8:00 AM, bbi1 said:

I've heard many horror stories about foreigner's relationship and marriage with Thai ladies, the worst ones I've been told directly from one of the involved parts, and that was not about Isaan-ladies, farmer girls, or low level education; no that was about well educated women from well established Chinese families.

Some of the best stories I've heard – and they are not that often told, as they don't hit headlines as well as the horror stories – are relationships with the low educated Isaan-farmer girls; often ex. "hookers", as the prince-on-the-white-horse normally don't ride through an Isaan village, but might ride through a busy tourist destination. And these farmer girls can sometimes also share expenses.

By the way, you don't need a "sick buffalo" to rip a farang off, smart hi-level girls has much smarter methods, which the blue-eyed farang don't realize before it's way too late...:whistling:

When that's said, I wish you good luck with your relationship and future marriage – I hope you find a solution for the divorce, which I unfortunately are inexperienced in, and cannot help you with advises for – and I also hope you both will get a happy life together...????

Edited by khunPer
  • Haha 1

Being a husband is daunting undertaking,

same as animal husbandry, you've gotta

feed and water 'em every day or they'll

bite you and bolt.

Buy yerself a horse, beautifull to look at,

lovely to ride, and you can sell if it misbehaves.

• Haha 1

Depending on the country she was married in, she (with your assistance) might be able to do it online.

For example, an uncontested divorce (and assuming no financial agreement is necessary) can be done online for a marriage in Australia.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2020 at 1:49 PM, BritManToo said:

You have three choices,

You missed another option: Hire a Thai lawyer on consignment and sue for mental anguish,  pain and suffering, lose of face, travel expenses, living expenses, divorce and alimony or support for the last 3 years plus several years to come. Then live together so she keeps getting that monthly check.

Edited by mrwebb8825