Climate Change and what it means for Thailand

snoop1130

Climate Change and what it means for Thailand

by Arvind Mungur

Screen-Shot-2020-01-27-at-20.39.28.png

2019 is the year in which climate change fully broke into the mainstream and public consciousness. The campaigning of Greta Thunberg, the teenage Swedish environmental activist on climate change, gained international recognition. And in September at a Climate Action Summit in New York, the United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres, called on all the world’s leaders to develop concrete, realistic plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 45 per cent over the next decade, and to net zero emissions by 2050, to avoid the climate catastrophe that will come with rising temperatures, rising sea-levels and coastal flooding.

70 per cent of the global population most at risk of rising sea-levels are within the Asia-Pacific region. Four of the 10 countries most affected by climate change are members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). This region is highly vulnerable, particularly to rising sea-levels, with catastrophic consequences for low-lying communities. Thailand is one of the four countries. Thailand was at No 10 on the list of countries affected by climate change in 2017 due to extreme rainfall and heavy floods that occurred that year that affected 1.6 million people, caused 176 lost lives and damaged 1,500 schools. Losses totaled US$4.37 billion (0.35% of GDP).

Of Thailand’s total land area 87% is prone to extreme heat, 39% prone to droughts, 7.5% prone to floods and 25% prone to landslides. 47% of Thailand’s land area is made up of agricultural land. 60% of agricultural land is prone to droughts and/or floods – the majority in unirrigated areas. Recently published research has illustrated that more than 10% percent of Thai citizens now live on land that is likely to be inundated by 2050. Bangkok is particularly at risk.

Thailand was the 20th highest emitter of greenhouse gases in the world in 2017. In response the Royal Thai Government has developed a Climate Change Master Plan (2015-2050) and is making progress in reducing its greenhouse emissions by up to 25 per cent by 2030 compared to employing little or no effort to limit carbon dioxide emissions (known as the business as usual scenario). However much more ambition is required if Thailand is to meet the 45 per cent target by 2030 set by the United Nations.

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/green/climate-change-and-what-it-means-for-thailand/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Four of the 10 countries most affected by climate change are members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). This region is highly vulnerable, particularly to rising sea-levels, with catastrophic consequences for low-lying communities.

A neighbor just bought some 15 rai beachland for 100 mio ... He wants it to secure his daughters future , he says ... He does not believe in climate change ... He's a gamblin' man ...

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, toolpush said:

I finished building my house in 1999 and installed a 80,000 baht Aussie solar water heater. It bit the dust in about 8 years. I bought and installed a local product for 55,000 baht and it lasted about 5 years. I did the same again for another 55,000 baht. Total = 190,000 baht for intermittent hot water and no hot water on rainy/cloudy days or Dec, Jan and Feb. Basically, I was an idiot. I now have an electric tank heater that has 24/7/365 hot water. I could have bought a lot of electricity for 190,000 baht.

But for your calculation & comparison to be accurate you need to factor in your electricity costs for your traditional-style hot water  - so the answer comes out: 190K - X

5 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Instead of importing such ideas from Australia, Thailand prefers to import coal!

While Australia mines and burns it.

As does Thailand (Mae Moh)

Both mining the "worst" sort (Lignite) in the "worst" method (open cast) then burning it.

image.png

Thailand began decommissioning Mae Moh in 2019.

There has been a decline in Lignite use in Australia (-4%) but overall coal use is up by 3%.

Thailand (pop. +69.7 million) also consumes 0.3% of the worlds Anthracite production.

Australia (pop +25.3 million) consumes 0.8% of it.

Edited by Enoon

38 minutes ago, toolpush said:

I finished building my house in 1999 and installed a 80,000 baht Aussie solar water heater. It bit the dust in about 8 years. I bought and installed a local product for 55,000 baht and it lasted about 5 years. I did the same again for another 55,000 baht. Total = 190,000 baht for intermittent hot water and no hot water on rainy/cloudy days or Dec, Jan and Feb. Basically, I was an idiot. I now have an electric tank heater that has 24/7/365 hot water. I could have bought a lot of electricity for 190,000 baht.

I also bought a Solahart hot water system in 1990 _+ a year or 2,

about 4 years ago had to replace the tank,it was leaking,got a

tank that was made in Greece,supplied ,installed by local Solar company,

20,000 THB,  so i think i am well ahead in electricity costs saved,

not to mention how many hot shower units I would have went through.

and no chance of been electrocuted in the shower,

regards worgeordie

6 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Thailand authorities have yet to discover that their country enjoys 360 days of sun every year...with the associated free energy!

Where are the solar panels?

When I visited Western Australia, some 15 years ago, almost every house had a solar water heating system on its roof.

Instead of importing such ideas from Australia, Thailand prefers to import coal!

You can buy solar panels here, no problem. The Thai government has built a few solar installations.

But householders are largely excluded from the solar market because

a ) electricity is too cheap here for solar to give a reasonable payback time and
b ) it is virtually impossible to sell excess electricity back to the grid. In some parts of Thailand they do have such a scheme, but you have to be a registered electricity seller and commit to selling a certain amount of electricity (which is code for being a large established entity).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

A neighbor just bought some 15 rai beachland for 100 mio ... He wants it to secure his daughters future , he says ... He does not believe in climate change ... He's a gamblin' man ...

He's in good company.

image.png.8650d368140bdcc039d324d47ea5d462.png

After the news broke that former President Barack Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama are buying a $15M waterfront estate in Martha’s Vineyard, some took to social media to accuse the Obamas of hypocrisy on climate change.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/obamas-accused-of-hypocrisy-on-climate-change-for-buying-waterfront-property-in-marthas-vineyard/

Maybe they know something we don't!

Edited by Krataiboy

16 hours ago, uli65 said:

the climate has changed over millions of years. Why to bother every day about this natural trend. 

Do the deniers authorities post the arguments to their followers (climate has always changed, it is the weather and not the climate that is changing, the sun and not humans is responsible for climate change...and so on)?

Guys, even the fossil fuel industry has known for a long time, and now admitted, that it is responsible for climate change.

Time to turn the page...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The climate is supposed to change.  The climate is driven by the sun,  and the sun is going through changes.  It is the very nature of Mother Nature to be in a state of change.  (Cycles within cycles.)

Edited by samuttodd
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 8:35 PM, toolpush said:

You could have made a passive solar water heater for the cost of a tank, some plastic water pipe and black paint.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 2/13/2020 at 9:17 AM, Brunolem said:

Do the deniers authorities post the arguments to their followers (climate has always changed, it is the weather and not the climate that is changing, the sun and not humans is responsible for climate change...and so on)?

Guys, even the fossil fuel industry has known for a long time, and now admitted, that it is responsible for climate change.

Time to turn the page...

no, that part is pure fraud and propaganda,

the graph looks like someone in high school just learned to make a diagram,

an alarmist found it and stated it was an exxon diagram.

(for those of you who dont know, this graph supposedly show a linear relation

of 10 ppm co2 = 0.1 degree celsius and vice versa, but as geologic history can attest,

there is no correlation between co2 & temperature whatsoever,

and oil extracting companies do employ loads of geologists

that know perfectly well history of earth, i.e no chance in hell

they would be oblivious to how temp & co2 has changed in past

long time.jpg

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 1