Jump to content

Small Irrigation System L/H?


Recommended Posts

I'm setting up a small watering system with a timer and mini sprinklers. The picture of a sprinkler I want to use along the garden driveway is attached.

I'd like to know how many litres/hour (L/H) of water I need to soak the soil for a 20 min. water running period. The garden just has shrubs and a few fruit trees.

20200224_101520.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I'd like to know how many litres/hour (L/H) of water I need to soak the soil for a 20 min

How long is a piece of string ?   you left out how many square meters of soil you want to soak ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Impossible question. You likely as not have variable pressure also, we certainly do.

Get one sprinkler installed. Put a flat tray about three metres away from the sprinkler. How long does it take to fill to 20 mm, ie soaked, more or less? That's one question , which you didn't ask, answered. Putting in more sprinklers will obviously reduce the pressure at each point, this was the kind of question I used to hate when I was doing fluid mechanics - any farmer or gardener could do it quicker than an engineer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, johng said:

How long is a piece of string ?   you left out how many square meters of soil you want to soak ?

Hi, the sprinkler radius is about 1 m going from the picture chart. I've got about 8 sprinklers.n

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, cooked said:

Impossible question. You likely as not have variable pressure also, we certainly do.

Get one sprinkler installed. Put a flat tray about three metres away from the sprinkler. How long does it take to fill to 20 mm, ie soaked, more or less? That's one question , which you didn't ask, answered. Putting in more sprinklers will obviously reduce the pressure at each point, this was the kind of question I used to hate when I was doing fluid mechanics - any farmer or gardener could do it quicker than an engineer.

Ok, a hopeless question to get a definitive engineering answer. The picture chart give the different sprinkler L/H, so which one would a farmer use? Or should I get 3 different L/H sprinklers and check which gives 20mm of water in a tray after 20 mins?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will depend on pump size,amount of sprinklers.

Fil gives our lime trees 20 litres a day(each tree) to keep them going in the dry season.

So blue one would be ok i would think. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Will depend on pump size,amount of sprinklers.

Fil gives our lime trees 20 litres a day to keep them going in the dry season.

So blue one would be ok i would think. 

Thanks. That's 60 L/H. Is 20:20:20 OK as a fertalizer?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2020 at 12:00 PM, carlyai said:

Thanks. That's 60 L/H. Is 20:20:20 OK as a fertalizer?

From what I could find online a few months back, all citrus trees benefit from a slightly nitrogen rich or balanced NPK fertilizer that also has some micro-nutrients in it like magnesium, manganese, iron, copper, zinc and boron. Citrus trees also like to have somewhat acidic soil, so an acidic fertilizer can also be beneficial in citrus tree fertilizing, though not required.


27/12/7
22/11/11
15/15/15 on young trees then 25/7/7

 

As I'm not an expert on this topic, I might be corrected by others much more knowledgeable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...