UAE bans citizens from travelling to Thailand, Kuwait suspends flights

webfact

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Countries who have new infections have done their mapping and my understanding is that enough link back to Thailand, such that there is  legitimate concern.  Keep in mind that Thailand is a transit hub and people need not have stayed in Thailand  The other issue is that  Covid 19 is very infectious, more infectious than influenza, or the common cold.  The 3% mortality rate must be taken within the context that far more people will be infected so it is  indeed a killer because the disease burden is so heavy.

The panic is understandable because too many governments were not truthful. The lack of honesty was due to the fact that there are no effective treatments and no vaccine. A population that has no hope  becomes fearful and where there is fear, there is stupidity. That's why some governments  were hesitant to  be honest.

It's the people who will have severe complications that  will bring the  health care systems to  the brink of collapse. If the infections spread we will see the rationing of health care. We may very well see  the elderly or those with immune suppressed systems allowed to die because they are refused  treatment. To be blunt, if it gets bad, folks with diabetes, or cancer may be neglected or denied  care as it would ne needed for otherwise "healthy" people. TVF's heavy smokers should consider stopping smoking now as smokers will be one of the high risk population groups.

The Russians do care. Keep in mind that they closed their border with China.

it's humidity that keeps the virus alive.  Don't get confident because places like the  humid and warm BKK airport  are an ideal place for a respiratory virus.

You are wrong (perhaps purposefully?) about your last point.

ALL published work on the Virus which addresses the issue indicates that it does not do well in sunlight, heat and humidity. On the contrary, it requires hard surfaces and air con/cold to last for a long time. (How long it can last is still a big question.) Remember a lot is already known about the Virus because of its similarity to SARS.

This explains why the virus was so grimly successful on the Diamond Princess, and spread in Sing (where people do not smoke and live in 24/7 aircon) but not TH (where men smoke, but only a very small percentage of the population lives in 24/7 aircon.)

I don't think there is any point in commenting on the risk profile of BKK airport. Any airport with high traffic volume is a risk. As is any air conditioned and crowded bus, train, plane or boat.

Furthermore, for your first point above, saying other countries have pointed to TH as a source of the Virus in doing their infection mapping. Please provide your information source.

Your statement that the Virus is more infectious than influenza or the common cold is wholly irresponsible, given R0 varies greatly based on environment, human behavior and preventative measures. This is why countries are and should close borders, schools and offices.

3 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

They won`t cancel their services to Thailand 99,9% until there would be an explosion in infection cases like South Korea/ Italy. Kuwait Airways (and also Saudia) are extremely conservative compared to Emirates, Qatar, Etihad and Gulf Air. 

Kuwait airline already cancelled the flights, link : https://centreforaviation.com/news/kuwait-airways-suspends-services-to-italy-and-thailand-due-to-coronavirus-outbreak-978522

• Like 1

A HOTEL in the tourist hotspot of Tenerife has been put on lockdown after an Italian man tested positive for coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51627597

This is not good...Canary Island is right next to the African continent...

Also one in Sicily....

https://www.devdiscourse.com/article/international/888736-update-3-italy-reports-coronavirus-case-in-sicily-first-south-of-rome

Edited by MikeyScars
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I agree but the staff from the Emirates or not will be staying in Dubai after there trips from various parts of globe where there is coronavirus.

Its a bit hypocritical to ban their own citizens from travelling when the Crew could be bringing coronavirus to the UAE as we know aircraft use a recycling ac system. 

On that basis, all flights should be banned worldwide. As we have been told, someone can carry the virus for 14 days without it showing, and that is a lot of people on a lot of flights to a lot of countries who could be infected and be spreading it. With only an incredibly small number out of 6.4 billion outside of China affected though, a blanket flight ban isn't going to happen.

3 minutes ago, MikeyScars said:

A HOTEL in the tourist hotspot of Tenerife has been put on lockdown after an Italian man tested positive for coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51627597

This is not good...Canary Island is right next to African continent...

Also one in Sicily....

https://www.devdiscourse.com/article/international/888736-update-3-italy-reports-coronavirus-case-in-sicily-first-south-of-rome

This will be a good test of how the virus functions in a warm climate. I would turn off the aircon, open the windows and only eat take out (not room service) if I was in that hotel.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I would agree. I think a lot of countries are gobsmacked that Thailand has not banned Chinese citizens.

I was too, until I realized that all but the most powerful Chinese were on lock-down from international travel for the last five weeks. TH welcoming them is just for goodwill and face.

The Chinese who can afford to stay in TH are going to start to be an interesting problem for TH immigration

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

The cheapest flight from Dublin to BBK is Aeroflot and the duration is as good as Emirates, Qatar or Etihad... the only problem is Aeroflot ... better than they used to be but still so lacking in comfort and other areas .. Used to travel to Moscow to see family posted there and I know. Still it’s there as an option if I need a cheapie Charlie... 

I think aeroflot is ok, the stopover airport though is awful.

16 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

This will be a good test of how the virus functions in a warm climate. I would turn off the aircon, open the windows and only eat take out (not room service) if I was in that hotel.

You wouldn't need A/C anyway, it's maxxing out at 25 C each day.

15 minutes ago, Suddenplans said:

USA has as many cases as Thailand so why not ban flights to there?

The best explanation I've read on this thread is from a smart poster (I forget who it was, sorry) who suggested that Thailand, specifically Bangkok is a travel hub for a lot of Chinese travelers. 

Even if they are not spending time in-country (which of course many actually are) their mere presence in the airports make the possibility of passing the virus on to others significantly higher; perhaps so much higher (in the eyes of the UAE) that the increased risk warrants the ban.  

So, not at all the same thing as in the US.

Who knows if this is the real reason, but it's the one that makes the most sense to me without actually knowing the facts, which seem impossible to get from any reliable source on the net at this point

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Wuhan is quite cold in the winter, which means drier.

Iran is also dry.

Doesn't check out. 

Was watching a British expert on the news today. Debunked the idea that the virus doesn't survive in hot conditions. According to her the only coorlation would be the lifestyle of those living in hot countries. Nothing to do with the survivability of the virus.

• Haha 1

If the UAE were really concerned about the coronavirus they would be stopping all flights entering or leaving the country. They have said there citizens shouldn’t travel but apparently the staff on Emirates flights don’t come into the equation and they are the ones who could transmit coronavirus.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

If the UAE were really concerned about the coronavirus they would be stopping all flights entering or leaving the country. They have said there citizens shouldn’t travel but apparently the staff on Emirates flights don’t come into the equation and they are the ones who could transmit coronavirus.

Like here, $$$ is the priority.  

Can you imagine the knock on effect of Emirates, Ethihad et al cancelling flights to Asia?

Edited by Yorkshire Tea
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Meanwhile; Thai officials let all Chinese tourist enter Thailand with open arms...

I am guessing that this is the reason some countries are putting the travel bans in place. By letting the Chinese in, it is increasing the risk of catching this virus for everyone in Thailand.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Two new cases of #COVID2019 have been reported in Thailand on Tuesday. Both of them are Thai nationals. One is a housewife who has no recent history of travel abroad. The other is a driver for foreign tourists.

Bang there you go, its the white mans disease...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So does this mean the regular Emirates and Etihad flights between LHR and BKK, via UAE are suspended?

Not yet,  I just landed at 17:23 Feb 25,2020.  My route was LHR->AUH->BKK with Etihad.