UAE bans citizens from travelling to Thailand, Kuwait suspends flights

webfact

Who cares?

The Middle Eastern customers don't really make much contribution to the Thai economy anyway.

The top 5 tourist nationalities to Thailand are still the Chinese, Malaysian, Japanese, South Korea and Laos

Edited by EricTh

38 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Well you're also at high risk when you use a thai boat, bus, train, minivan....so yes this virus kills less people than thai traffic.

Not to Mention, Thai showers, anything Thai electric, Thai street food, Thai soi dogs, Thai sidewalks, Thai air quality, Thai face, Thai infrastructure, Thai head in their smart phone mentality, the list goes on an on an on.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yes..that`s why i said, that Kuwait Airways and Saudia can`t be compared to the rest of the ME carriers. They also ban jews from their flights and all that weird stuff.

I am very close to the aviation industry and I would be very surprised if EY/QR and EK cancel their flights to Thailand.

Thailand itself won`t ban them for sure as well. They will be the last ones to do that. Countries like Vietnam have take a much more aggressive approach since today in the afternoon and you can`t fly into Vietnam anymore , if you come from a country with Covid-cases.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/vietnam-suspends-entry-from-all-coronavirus-hit-areas-4060323.html

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, choff56 said:

Not to Mention, Thai showers, anything Thai electric, Thai street food, Thai soi dogs, Thai sidewalks, Thai air quality, Thai face, Thai infrastructure, Thai head in their smart phone mentality, the list goes on an on an on.

Yes, you do a bit don't you?

• Thanks 1

Iran is up <deleted> creek in a $10 pool dinghy if even their Health Minister has copped a dose.

Coronavirus: Iran's deputy health minister tests positive as outbreak worsens

Iran's deputy health minister has tested positive for the new coronavirus disease, as it struggles to contain an outbreak that has killed 15 people.

In a video, Iraj Harirchi said he was self-isolating and starting medication following his diagnosis.

He was seen mopping his brow repeatedly at a news conference on Monday, when he denied the authorities were lying about the scale of the Covid-19 outbreak.

They have reported 95 cases, but the actual number is thought to be higher.

The director general of the World Health Organization (WHO) has said the sudden increase in cases in the country is "deeply concerning".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51628484

22 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

TVF's heavy smokers should consider stopping smoking now as smokers will be one of the high risk population groups.

Do you really think that quitting smoking after years of heavy ciggy usage will help stop you dying if Corona gets you?

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

What you are missing is the fact that there a very few Chinese tourists. That doesn't fit the narrative of some posters who mostly don't live here yet insist the Chinese are arriving in Thailand in their thousands on a daily basis, and that EVERY Chinese person is riddled with the virus.

No, that's based on those living in tourist areas who are still seeing them around. I saw 8 young Chinese men coming out of Jomtien immigration 2 days ago.

Exponential growth isn't a single entity. I could draw a graph of exponential growth with an x axis of 10k years. I could draw an identical graph with an x axis of 30 seconds. Meaningless without knowing the x axis.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, geisha said:

Hi, what about the thousands of tourists already in Thailand and due to go home ? Should they call their airline , example Emirates, to confirm ? Thousands travel with Emirates every day from Europe. 

Airlines are not stupid, they will pick-up passengers in Thailand with return tickets... but will no allow new passengers to travel!

16 hours ago, Woowee said:

The only thing I can say is, when I was in Thailand January 25th. I met a nurse from phuket who said she had 25 cases of coronavirus in her hospital alone that were not being reported..... It's weird that she would lie about something like that. Who knows.

Influenza is a corona virus as were MERS and SARS.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Influenza is a corona virus as were MERS and SARS.

Influenza is not a coronavirus: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthomyxoviridae

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza

Some coronavirus give common cold symptoms but they are not in the same familly. 

"Well over 200 virus strains are implicated in causing the common cold, with rhinoviruses being the most common.[11] They spread through the air during close contact with infected people or indirectly through contact with objects in the environment, followed by transfer to the mouth or nose.[2] Risk factors include going to child care facilities, not sleeping well, and psychological stress.[5] The symptoms are mostly due to the body's immune response to the infection rather than to tissue destruction by the viruses themselves.[12] The symptoms of influenza are similar to those a cold, although usually more severe and less likely to include a runny nose.[5][13]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

https://www.zmescience.com/other/feature-post/coronavirus-vs-influenza-21022020/

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How do you come to that? The UAE has banned their own citizens from flying to Thailand. Emirates are even still flying to China (Beijing) although I believe they've suspended their flight to Singapore and Melbourne. But these things are changing daily. I'm due to fly back to Bangkok from Dubai on Sunday and it's anyone's guess what the situation will be then. It might be that I can stretch out on the plane, or there'll be no plane at all.

I didn't "come to that".  I asked a question.  Thanks for your answer.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

No idea about transiting through BAH, but since Sunday Bahrain has banned direct entry into the country from Thailand - anyone coming from Thailand will need to have spent 2 weeks outside Thailand before they will be allowed in, regardless of nationality. 

I know this because it's just cost me money!

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:

What you are missing is the fact that there a very few Chinese tourists. That doesn't fit the narrative of some posters who mostly don't live here yet insist the Chinese are arriving in Thailand in their thousands on a daily basis, and that EVERY Chinese person is riddled with the virus.

NO, I think you misunderstand what I'm saying.  I am talking about the period of time just before the outbreak in China became known to the world.  In other words, just around the time of the Lunar New Year and right before China locked down Wuhan.  At that time, an estimated 7 million people were able to leave Wuhan, and many of them came to Thailand for the Lunar New year, when there was no screening in effect at airports yet.

More importantly, that's why I am really suspicious of the reported cases in Thailand being only 37, and that the number did not change from 35 for almost two weeks.  Something is definitely not right here.  That number must be significantly higher.  There is no way it could only be 37 IMO.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Do you know what the term exponential growth means? It's a rhetorical question. You obviously don't. 

Based on the time frame, approximately 2months, with exponential growth pretty well everyone in the whole world would be infected by now.

Sorry to say, but you do not understand how the term exponential growth can be used in describing this outbreak. 

It is not so cut and dried as you make it out to be.  Plenty of experts are using the term to describe the various outbreaks, and components of an outbreak.  It is time-dependant.  So, if there is a exponential increase that occurs over a short time frame, say due to an increase in testing, it's valid to call it an exponential increase.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Lee bamber said:

It's absolutely ridiculous that Chinese nationals can still enter Thailand. According to a letter in the Bangkok Post there were no checks on a Thai national when he returned to Suvarnabhumi recently and he observed only 50%of airport staff were wearing face masks.

This country needs to grow up and for once act responsibly for all our sakes.

Every passenger passes a thermal scanner at Swampy International. No idea if domestic travellers are checked although I had my temp taken at Satuek. This is standard check at a lot of airports with current situation. The poster may not have seen the scanners but I did. What more can be done in a practical sense?

Edited by emptypockets

Even though I'm sure there's some under-reporting, the panic reactions by some Governments is laughable.

With Iran now being a 'Superspreader State' with porous borders, and with the religious travel and mass gatherings in the Middle East, this region will be number 2 in the world for Covid-19 within weeks ..... and they ban travel from another country.  ????

I also see that Qingdao in China stopped flights from Korea yesterday.  ????????????????????

Politicians should not be allowed to meddle in grown-up matters.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MikeyScars said:

A HOTEL in the tourist hotspot of Tenerife has been put on lockdown after an Italian man tested positive for coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51627597

This is not good...Canary Island is right next to the African continent.

I bet you couldn't swim it. ????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

No, that's based on those living in tourist areas who are still seeing them around. I saw 8 young Chinese men coming out of Jomtien immigration 2 days ago.

Exponential growth isn't a single entity. I could draw a graph of exponential growth with an x axis of 10k years. I could draw an identical graph with an x axis of 30 seconds. Meaningless without knowing the x axis.

X axis time is approximately two months as I said previously.

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Sorry to say, but you do not understand how the term exponential growth can be used in describing this outbreak. 

It is not so cut and dried as you make it out to be.  Plenty of experts are using the term to describe the various outbreaks, and components of an outbreak.  It is time-dependant.  So, if there is a exponential increase that occurs over a short time frame, say due to an increase in testing, it's valid to call it an exponential increase.

I'm well aware how the term can be used on social media, often incorrectly to give the poster a sense of self importance which is merely an illusion if assumed knowledge. 

I was very clear in post about the time factor. Show me the graph that shows the exponential growth  of this virus over the last two months.

Hey I'm not saying things aren't bad, they are, but using words for maximum shock effect doesn't help the situation.

You can see a lot of posters are turning to their inner Nazi with their comments about the Chinese people's. Very, very few Chinese have the virus compared to the total population but I get the feeling some posters would prefer it if they were all in concentration camps.

They just don't get it. Pandora's box is already open and we need a well though out practical approach to have any hope of reducing the spread. The white noise about the Chinese is just confusing the reality the world is facing.

• Like 1