Second hand book shops.

wildpikey

I highly recommend trying a good e-reader using e-ink technology (i.e. not an LCD screen).

Many people resist the idea that it they could be as good as paper books but are then surprised to find they prefer them.

For me, the instant access to pretty much any book, the ability to store thousands, the built-in dictionaries, encyclopedia, translation, search, the ability to highlight or make notes, the ambient side-lighting, the automatic bookmarking, the ability to read in the bath or swimming pool without worrying about water damage, it all adds up to a better experience.

If you want to encourage yourself to read more, if you want to make it more convenient and less expensive, it is well worth trying. You can get a good, basic model for around $60. As someone who reads every day, I splashed out and paid $300 for my latest, plus $65 for a premium worn leather cover that makes it a far more tactile experience. I expect it to last around a decade.

• Like 2

To expand on availability of second hand books. I come into the city and load up about once a month. First port of call On the Road opp UN Pub.Rob is constantly bringing in new stock and some really good, new authors.Helps when the owner knows the types of books you are seeking.50% refund when you return

Backstreet Books did consolidate to Lost Books on Rachamanka but one of owner Irish George's previous staff took a smaller space on the site that was previously Backstreet.

Gecko is still alongside.  Shaman is still going after what must be more than a decade.

Free Bird Cafe up in Nimman gets many books donated and sells from 40 baht. Sometimes they have sales at 20 b per book ,proceeds go to help, along with their other fund raising,poor folk in the Hill Tribes.

Asia Books are still in Airport Plaza for latest releases.

DASA books in Bangkok, my regular when working in Bangkok, have an excellent  web site and will send by courier anything you see on their updated listing and that you might not be able to access here.

Pleasing despite some people saying second hand book shops will disappear. Well that hasn't happened despite the downturn in the local economy and European tourists numbers dropping.

I may be a dinosaur but still prefer a real book rather than an e reader and I did give it a trial but each to his own.

The positive is that more and more people,world wide, are reading books in whatever format.

Edited by Sparkles
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I second the recommendation on Free Bird Cafe.  Used paperbacks AND hardbacks are 40 baht each.

As mentioned, the cafe also has regular 1/2 off book sales (check their Facebook page). During these sales, they ship in extra books as well.

It’s hit and miss, of course, but I never walk away empty handed- especially during their sale days.

I am also an avid e-reader.  I’m not savvy enough to know how to procure free titles, but I know there are a lot more freebies than I’m tapping into.

I also prefer an e-ink screen, but I usually just read from my tablet out of laziness.

Edited by Brightly
  • Thanks 1

i've read/heard that those ebooks are never really YOUR'S.  that is you cannot sell, trade or give away an ebook. why on earth should i support with my money such an absurd concept?

give me an old paperback any day, one that i can recommend to my friend and give him a copy. 

new idea across from varada place, santitham, some lady is peddling books at 20 baht each and all proceeds go towards dog sterilization, and perhaps dog food.  you donate the books, etc, and she collects for the welfare of society and a bit of merit making for herself.  a great idea and some very interesting titles.

• Like 1