TOT DSL in Jomtien, widespread down or my problem?

Jingthing

This is weird. 

I thought it was probably my own problem with my router. 

Since Friday I have gotten my dsl back but out again. 

Tonight I was told there is a widespread major outage in. Jomtien, Pattaya, and beyond. 

But nobody here had that problem? 

Normally when there is a wide problem people post about it on threads like this. 

OK. 

Bumping this again. 

This is becoming truly weird. 

My total outage started last Friday. 

There was one day where it was back but then out again. 

My router modem has two lights on power and ethernet and two lights off dsl and internet. 

Yes I have checked the wire connections and reset the router, unplugged the power, rebooted the computer, and tried to connect via the router interface several times. 

I have been calling tot daily and they say there is a widespread outage in South Pattaya and Jomtien. 

However I do still suspect it is either a specific problem for me and possibly also a major outage. 

But is there really a major outage? 

But obviously until tot tells me the major outage is fixed I can't begin to troubleshoot a more specific problem. 

Anyway the mystery to me is that over the years whenever there has been a major outage which does happen from time to time but rarely lasts this long other people report similar problems on topics like this. 

But this time crickets. 

So let me ask people now if you have Tot dsl service in South Pattaya or Jomtien is it working or not now and have you had outages since last Friday? 

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK. 

Bumping this again. 

This is becoming truly weird. 

My total outage started last Friday. 

There was one day where it was back but then out again. 

My router modem has two lights on power and ethernet and two lights off dsl and internet. 

Yes I have checked the wire connections and reset the router, unplugged the power, rebooted the computer, and tried to connect via the router interface several times. 

I have been calling tot daily and they say there is a widespread outage in South Pattaya and Jomtien. 

However I do still suspect it is either a specific problem for me and possibly also a major outage. 

But is there really a major outage? 

But obviously until tot tells me the major outage is fixed I can't begin to troubleshoot a more specific problem. 

Anyway the mystery to me is that over the years whenever there has been a major outage which does happen from time to time but rarely lasts this long other people report similar problems on topics like this. 

But this time crickets. 

So let me ask people now if you have Tot dsl service in South Pattaya or Jomtien is it working or not now and have you had outages since last Friday? 

I am in Jommtien, no problems all week, TOT dsl

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I am in Jommtien, no problems all week, TOT dsl

Not surprised. 

Something is really strange about this situation. 

Not sure how to proceed. 

If they keep telling me there is a wide outage that isn't fixed I can't even begin to ask for their help on a specific one user problem. 

I have a theory that ToT are not maintaining their ADSL equipment  and are pushing ( by not fixing problems)

customers towards fiber instead so they can remove the "old" ADSL hardware from their network.

@Jingthing if at  all possible  change to fiber..if you have been with ToT for a while they will do it for free 630 baht per month for 150 Mbps down 50 Mbps up  speed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

I have a theory that ToT are not maintaining their ADSL equipment  and are pushing ( by not fixing problems)

customers towards fiber instead so they can remove the "old" ADSL hardware from their network.

@Jingthing if at  all possible  change to fiber..if you have been with ToT for a while they will do it for free 630 baht per month for 150 Mbps down 50 Mbps up  speed.

Interesting theory. Could well be true. But I'm still at a loss on how to proceed.

Calling the local tot numbers and they don't even answer. 

Calling the main help line where at least you know you get someone that can sort of speak English how many more days weeks or months will they say the same thing? 

Yeah tot has worked for me overall pretty well but this is getting ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

Not in Jomtien Beach Condominium, they won't!

Yes I hear that quite a few  larger condo's have a deal with certain companies and will not allow  competitors to install services ☹️????

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting theory. Could well be true. But I'm still at a loss on how to proceed.

Calling the local tot numbers and they don't even answer. 

Calling the main help line where at least you know you get someone that can sort of speak English how many more days weeks or months will they say the same thing? 

Yeah tot has worked for me overall pretty well but this is getting ridiculous. 

Chances of getting fibre installed in older condos are very limited, unless you pay for the fibre wire installation inside the building.

3 hours ago, johng said:

I used to complain to my local office years ago as a long suffering TOT ADSL customer.. might as well have told the cat! Happy days when I got rid of it... telephone too... they made me sign a customer satisfaction sheet when I did which they filled in for me and I could not read saying I could no longer afford it. I feel sorry for those unable to switch, say in a condo building. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Susco said:

Chances of getting fibre installed in older condos are very limited, unless you pay for the fibre wire installation inside the building.

I believe a lot of older condos  use the old existing telephone wire installation..thus limiting the whole place to xDSL..they have a big fiber "pipe" to the building and then some "equipment" that converts to xDSL for distribution, for some reason they won't allow companies to run new fiber direct to individual rooms..it's technically possible to do so but the Condo management says no.

ToT had no qualms  running a fiber cable  at least 100 meters from their equipment along the electricity pylons and up to my 3rd floor apartment..no cost..free brand new router and fiber to Ethernet converter box they even gave me  my PPPoE login details so I could use my own router.. has been down a few times but always because of/after  power cuts.

Still down. 

The ironically named "help" line says they have not been informed whether or not the wide area outage used as an excuse has been fixed or not. 

So I asked have there been any new or continuing locally related complaints in the last few days. 

Answer no. 

Still no contact or action on what now seems to be a specific problem for me which I suspected all along. 

Perhaps I just got unlucky that an actual though short lived typical wide area outage could be blamed for my problem just based on a rough timing coincidence. 

Signed, 

Shopping for a new isp

Edited by Jingthing

@Jingthing  do you have a direct internet connection to your condo/house/apartment supplied by ToT  ?  or are you  living in a place that re-supplies the connection  ? if the place/condo supplies the last bit of the connection then ToT  will not be interested or maybe even be aware of the problem and they can just blame the place/condo supplied equipment.

Edited by johng

My specific problem was fixed yesterday.

The way it went was this.

Even though it's hard to get them to pickup I eventually spoke to someone at the local office who gave me a phone number for technicians. Calling once a day for three days straight (I don't believe in complaining more than once a day) the DSL was finally working.

So it was not a problem in my condo.

The thing is that I was informed there was indeed a wide area problem but that it had been fixed days before so they agreed I had a specific problem. 
That was key information I needed to know because calling the national help line was only getting very old information about a wide area outage and never any update, good or bad.

So the excuse of wide area outage could basically be used forever without an update.

I realize this report conflicts with the one above. Perhaps it's different wide area outages. I only know what I know and what I'm told.

I can provide this advice though -- do NOT rely on the national help line to know whether or not a wide area outage has been fixed.

Obviously if there is one, all you can do is wait for them to fix it.

But if the wide area outage you're told about lasts more than two days, I would strongly suspect that you have a more specific problem.

1 hour ago, bahtboy said:

Hi JT, I was just about to call 1100 again and I saw that you had just posted , so before I call them on that number, Is it possible for you to give me the number of the technicians either here or by PM? Cheers, bahtboy.

Yes, and probably everyone with TOT service should write it down.

This is not a number you will find by google search. Bizarrely this is not a number offered by the national helpline. Cherish it.

It does not go directly to a technician but to a person that speaks some English that will refer your request to a technician.

038 416066

I think it's OK to post it. It's not a person's private number.

3 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

Many thanks JT. I've just had another conversation with 1100 and am awaiting a call probably from the same technician. Wish me luck!

Wow, 1100 can hook you up directly with a specific technician? I never got further with them than telling me they would sending yet another report to Pattaya with the same problem and never any response.

So I now see 1100 as a place to hear if there a current wide area outage or not for shorter term problems. But I never call the first day as I figure if it is wide, others will. 

I did get a weakly worded suggestion that maybe I want my bill adjusted which is kind of funny because that was the last thing on my mind.

Edited by Jingthing