Keep money in bank post extension not needed?

7 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You can't complain about immigration if you don't meet the financial requirements. They have been almost the same for a long time except for the "never below 400k" if the extension is based on retirement. Every time a person here at TV doesn't have enough money,then it's immigrations fault. Go figure. 

Perhaps you misread me.   I have no problem with whatever requirements Immigration have had previously or now, and if I wish can go either the Retirement or Marriage route, with the emphasis being on 'can'.   I normally bring lump sums here when the exchange rate is favourable (hit and miss admitedly the last couple of years) and then run the monies down over the course of the year.  Having to transfer funds more frequently and losing income from maintaining minimum sums at minimum interest is a choice that I've opted not to make. 

11 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Perhaps you misread me.   I have no problem with whatever requirements Immigration have had previously or now, and if I wish can go either the Retirement or Marriage route, with the emphasis being on 'can'.   I normally bring lump sums here when the exchange rate is favourable (hit and miss admitedly the last couple of years) and then run the monies down over the course of the year.  Having to transfer funds more frequently and losing income from maintaining minimum sums at minimum interest is a choice that I've opted not to make. 

However you want to transfer lump sums the requirements are clear. You can’t let the balance dip below 400k or 800k for the first three months and the last two months. Or meet the marriage requirements that require lower sums. There is no averaging throughout the year. 

Edited by Martyp

16 minutes ago, pagallim said:

I am living in Thailand long term and the interest I get here in my bank is better than back home. On top of that I have money coming in every month. I don't have to think about maintaining any minimum levels. I would say that bringing in lump sums (especially the last few years), isn't the smartest idea when talking exchange rates. 

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I'd like to quit the Non-O-ME Visa-Runs and switch to a Non-O based-on-Marriage extension, but won't put my wife through immigration's interrogation-hell for my not paying them off.  If someone knows a good Bangkok agent who handles marriage-extensions, please PM me.

That will not happen at immigration in Bangkok. No reports of it happening.

10 hours ago, fforest1 said:

The marriage visa has to win the prize for putting the most people through the ringer.....Pictures in bedrooms, maps to houses,Surprise request for documents it just goes on and on...

It depends upon the office you have to use.

Not a big deal to do a few photos in and around the house. Map to house is easy. 

I am on my 12the extension based upon marriage and have not had a problem with doing them.

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That will not happen at immigration in Bangkok. No reports of it happening.

A friend of my wife just did this with her farang husband.  They were taken to separate rooms, given interrogations about the other, etc.  It sounded like the old game-show "The Newleywed Game" sort of questions.  She told us as many questions as she could remember, so we could "practice" for the test.  Next is the home-visit - we know exactly NONE of our "neighbors" - not like people chat-it-up in the halls of Bangkok rentals.

That's when I started trying to find an agent, again.   I've given up trying to play "fair rules" with an organization which is really a (a word I probabaly should not use here).  My wife is terrified of dealing with them, again - and her friend's story did not inspire confidence.  That's why I want to find whoever this guy used:

I don't trust the Non-O-ME will always be available, so moved / took a job in Bangkok, because immigration would not accept my proven (by bank-xfers) overseas-income (not a 'state pension') as legit (Issan office).  BOI won't accept a Non-O-ME Visa-entry as legit (they work with immigration), so had to use the main labor-office for the work-permit.  While this is "do-able" / legal, I am sick of visa-runs, especially now with a "day job" schedule.   But if no agent, I will put up with the visa-runs. 

58 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I am living in Thailand long term and the interest I get here in my bank is better than back home. On top of that I have money coming in every month. I don't have to think about maintaining any minimum levels. I would say that bringing in lump sums (especially the last few years), isn't the smartest idea when talking exchange rates. 

I also have been here for a reasonable amount of time, having done 12 consecutive retirement extensions and 1 marriage extension.   Obviously there are choices on how to bring the required funds in, and my preferred route is via lump sum when the exchange rates are historically averaged as favourable.   Those who go the 12 monthly transfer route are more at the mercy of exchange rates.   Anyway, all about choice and as I mentioned previously, I can go either way and can meet both criteria.

57 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not a big deal to do a few photos in and around the house. Map to house is easy. 

I am on my 12the extension based upon marriage and have not had a problem with doing them.

Agreed UJ, no big deal at all.   We provided one photo outside our house, one photo in our dining room (Retirement extensions, at least in Phuket, also require a photo of you outside your house/accommodation showing house number, as well as a hand drawn map of the house location).   I personally found the IO's dealing with the marriage extension more pleasant to deal with than those conducting the retirement extensions.

24 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

A friend of my wife just did this with her farang husband.  They were taken to separate rooms, given interrogations about the other, etc.  It sounded like the old game-show "The Newleywed Game" sort of questions.  She told us as many questions as she could remember, so we could "practice" for the test.  Next is the home-visit - we know exactly NONE of our "neighbors" - not like people chat-it-up in the halls of Bangkok rentals.

That might of been some time ago also or they were really newlyweds. I have seen no recent reports of that happening.

Same for  needing a neighbor to be present for the visit.

Sometimes it is best to not believe everything you hear about.

9 hours ago, Why Me said:

Yep, got my non-O retirement extension at CW last month with agent help. I had 800K in my bank for 2 months prior to that which is what the agent asked when I contacted him last  year.

After the visa was stamped I repeatedly asked the agent (based on accounts here on TV) about what minimum I should keep and how long. Nothing. Just make sure you have 800k for 2 months before your next renewal. See you next year.

So I am guessing there is no requirement to verify a minimum X for a period Y after renewal in their IO rule book. However, again guess, there is something there to the effect use your judgment/discretion to decide if the money was temporarily borrowed ...

I would be careful with that. The required time for money to be in the bank before the extension is granted is three months not two which you may or may not be aware of and although you say you are using an agent I would be careful it doesn't come back to bite you.

Due to my own stupidity I ran foul of that rule on the first extension I did and although I was out by just a few days and literally a few Baht I was told I would not get the stamp in my passport. I was however given an alternative by a nice female officer there and so all was well that ended well, but I was warned that it was a one off and could not be done again.

9 minutes ago, narisarasgroove said:

I would be careful with that. The required time for money to be in the bank before the extension is granted is three months not two which you may or may not be aware of and although you say you are using an agent I would be careful it doesn't come back to bite you.

Due to my own stupidity I ran foul of that rule on the first extension I did and although I was out by just a few days and literally a few Baht I was told I would not get the stamp in my passport. I was however given an alternative by a nice female officer there and so all was well that ended well, but I was warned that it was a one off and could not be done again.

The money has to be in the bank 2 months prior to the day of application for the 1 year extension since March 1 2019, and 3 months after. Then never below 400k until 2 months before next application. This in the official police order. If using an agent one year you might have to use one next year,too. 

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

The money has to be in the bank 2 months prior to the day of application for the 1 year extension since March 1 2019, and 3 months after. Then never below 400k until 2 months before next application. This in the official police order.

Since I got it to 800k+ for the extension in Feb. I plan to just keep it that way continuously from now on to avoid any kind of problems.

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

If using an agent one year you might have to use one next year,too. 

I am curious why you say this. My first extension I was happy to have the agent help. But I am thinking next time to try it alone.

6 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Since I got it to 800k+ for the extension in Feb. I plan to just keep it that way continuously from now on to avoid any kind of problems.

I am curious why you say this. My first extension I was happy to have the agent help. But I am thinking next time to try it alone.

I said it because most people using an agent has reasons for it. Those reasons are not about the paperwork, it's about not meeting the requirements. Using an agent when meeting the requirements is imo a total waste of money. Why pay extra for something that's really easy to do? I prefer paying ฿1900/year. 

On 2/29/2020 at 12:03 AM, Susco said:

So what if I want to change bank during the year. Money now in a fixed account which ends in July

I had the same problem as you.

I changed my fixed deposit bank from SCB to Krungsri after the extension. If immigration should ask, I will just show them the two bank accounts. As long as none of the dates fall below 800k, it shouldn't be a problem.

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

I had the same problem as you.

I changed my fixed deposit bank from SCB to Krungsri after the extension. If immigration should ask, I will just show them the two bank accounts. As long as none of the dates fall below 800k, it shouldn't be a problem.

The trick is to withdraw the money from one bank and deposit them into next bank the same day. 

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The trick is to withdraw the money from one bank and deposit them into next bank the same day. 

Yes, that is what I am planning to do as soon as I get my visa extension.  The next day after I get the extension I'm transferring money same day to another account.  Should work.  I don't see why not.

On 3/1/2020 at 4:00 PM, n210mp said:

I protested! and the lady at Jomtien Immi didn't like it one bit, She said that the Bangkok people thought I had borrowed the money and that was the reason for their refusal.

A joint account could be partially your wife's money. The same thing goes to retirement visa, we can't have a joint account for 800k , it must be 1.600k for a joint account.

So the immigration isn't wrong to suspect some of the money belongs to your wife and she lent it to you for 2 months.

It's worse for retirees because we have to keep 400k for 12 months and NOT just 2 months.

Edited by EricTh

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

A joint account could be partially your wife's money. The same thing goes to retirement visa, we can't have a joint account for 800k , it must be 1.600k for a joint account.

So the immigration isn't wrong to suspect some of the money belongs to your wife and she lent it to you for 2 months.

It's worse for retirees because we have to keep 400k for 12 months and NOT just 2 months.

So your saying that you can have a joint account as long as it has 1.6 mill?

Never heard of that one.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I didn't have any problem with that as both banks were next to each other in a shopping mall or you could do a online transfer if it is savings.

Mine was a fixed deposit so I had to go to withdraw personally and to open another fixed deposit account at another bank .

Edited by EricTh

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So your saying that you can have a joint account as long as it has 1.6 mill?

Never heard of that one.

I thought I read it somewhere in an official requirement document from immigration a few years back. 

I think immigration thinks that each joint account holder would have half the total amount which would total 800k.

Edited by EricTh

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why not just transfer from one bank to another?

Yes,of course. I just wanted to be clear about doing it the same day. I don't want to put 1 mil in my pocket and walk to next bank. ????

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I thought I read it somewhere in an official requirement document from immigration a few years back. 

I think immigration thinks that each joint account holder would have half the total amount which would total 800k.

Don't think so. Either person on the account would have access to the total amount. Personally I've never heard of anyone using joint account to satisfy imm

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Joe, you might have seen my earlier post regarding forms submitted for my last marriage extension.

The TM47,  I filled in (typed) on my computer, printed it off .BUT it had to be re~written by hand, in BLUE ink.

So. a note to others, do them by hand!

Otherwise, no problems for a few photos, 

hand drawn map (PT IO do not accept a Google map printout.  others might), photcopies (signed) and Bank letter.

Oh, and started spending the 400K the day I submitted the application....long before getting the stamp in pp 30 days later. Not a problem at this IO, who are known to be quite difficult sometimes.

Edited by orchidfan
additional comments

25 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Joe, you might have seen my earlier post regarding forms submitted for my last marriage extension.

The TM47,  I filled in (typed) on my computer, printed it off .BUT it had to be re~written by hand, in BLUE ink.

So. a note to others, do them by hand!

Otherwise, no problems for a few photos, 

hand drawn map (PT IO do not accept a Google map printout.  others might), photcopies (signed) and Bank letter.

Oh, and started spending the 400K the day I submitted the application....long before getting the stamp in pp 30 days later. Not a problem at this IO, who are known to be quite difficult sometimes.

I guess you mean TM7, not TM47 which is used for the 90 days report. And a form typed and printed out is ok at most immigration offices. 

11 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I guess you mean TM7, not TM47 which is used for the 90 days report. And a form typed and printed out is ok at most immigration offices. 

Yes. I did mean TM7!

Clearly not accepted at PThani.

Or she was just wanting to find fault in an otherwise perfectly presented application.

Btw, SHE rewrote the TM7 for by hand herself.  in her own sweet time.. one hour later!

18 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Yes. I did mean TM7!

Clearly not accepted at PThani.

Or she was just wanting to find fault in an otherwise perfectly presented application.

Btw, SHE rewrote the TM7 for by hand herself.  in her own sweet time.. one hour later!

At Jomtien Immigration they like it typed on a computer and printed out. Easier to read. 

20 hours ago, Why Me said:

Usually people who use agents do so because they do not have the money in the bank. A non-agent application next year, well one might be asked to show the past 800k/3months, 400k/7months and 800k/2 months. Failure to do so really makes that previous extension suspect. 

36 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Usually people who use agents do so because they do not have the money in the bank. A non-agent application next year, well one might be asked to show the past 800k/3months, 400k/7months and 800k/2 months. Failure to do so really makes that previous extension suspect. 

Exactly.

I don't think "..might be asked..."

I think will be required to show funds in bank as outlined.

If someone used agent to get around money in the bank and then subsequently decided for next extension to do it themselves, they would need to obtain new non-O. Start over.

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

In my case, it wasn't because of not having the money. That wasn't the problem. It was that it was my first retirement extension of a non-Imm so having zero experience of CW I wanted everything to go smoothly, which it pretty much did with the agent.

I doubt there's anything wrong with my extension as I was right there at CW with the agent all the time. And I was sitting in front of the IO in her office as she did her business with my passport. So should be legit.

Next year Feb. I plan to go with 800k/12months (from now on I am just going to keep it at 800k+) but we'll see if I go back to the agent. The convenience is tempting but from all accounts here it's at most just one long day on one's own.

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Exactly.

I don't think "..might be asked..."

I think will be required to show funds in bank as outlined.

If someone used agent to get around money in the bank and then subsequently decided for next extension to do it themselves, they would need to obtain new non-O. Start over.

Start over? You mean they'll cancel the non-Imm because the IO last time didn't care about funds? Never heard of such a thing.

I doubt there's ever a problem agent or no unless it's a fake visa/stamp, in which it is a very serious problem leading to IDC and deportation. But I stand to be corrected.