I have the coronavirus. So far, it hasn’t been that bad for me.

rooster59

reactions to the virus fall into 3 types:

1. Full on panic mode - worry about contracting wearing a mask all day etc

2. Full on meh-mode - over exaggeration by media and government no more dangerous than the flu

3. Microbiologists *like me* everyone in category 1 and 2 are idiots.....this is a scare because it could mutate rapidly as viruses do and become a real problem..it just isn't yet that dangerous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish we can just get a straight answer regarding the wearing of masks.  This from the US Surgeon General....

["Seriously people - STOP BUYING MASKS!" Surgeon General Jerome Adams tweeted. "They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!"]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/seriously-people-stop-buying-masks-170148731.html

But if they can't help the general public, how can they help healthcare providers?  Oh nevermind....

15 minutes ago, briansbiology said:

reactions to the virus fall into 3 types:

1. Full on panic mode - worry about contracting wearing a mask all day etc

2. Full on meh-mode - over exaggeration by media and government no more dangerous than the flu

3. Microbiologists *like me* everyone in category 1 and 2 are idiots.....this is a scare because it could mutate rapidly as viruses do and become a real problem..it just isn't yet that dangerous. 

Can it mutate 'the other way' ie not get worse?

• Like 1

Just now, overherebc said:

Can it mutate 'the other way' ie not get worse?

Yes. Viruses integrate themselves into our genomes and can then take on human genes. HIV for example has 9 genes 3 are human. This could make it more or less deadly. It is probably going to do this  at some point by which time it will become a human virus. The survivors will have immunity and so it may become just another virus that does the rounds. it could however do what the Spanish flu of 1918 did and do a few mutations that make it completely unknown to our immune systems......that Spanish flu killed more than both sides of the great war....

time will tell. For the most part people are doing what they  should minimizing spread and monitoring. until then who knows?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I wish we can just get a straight answer regarding the wearing of masks.  This from the US Surgeon General....

["Seriously people - STOP BUYING MASKS!" Surgeon General Jerome Adams tweeted. "They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!"]

https://www.yahoo.com/news/seriously-people-stop-buying-masks-170148731.html

But if they can't help the general public, how can they help healthcare providers?  Oh nevermind....

masks should be worn by people with symptoms.  the only masks that effectively stop you contracting the virus form airborne particles are really expensive. those silly medical masks only protect others and not you. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, briansbiology said:

Yes. Viruses integrate themselves into our genomes and can then take on human genes. HIV for example has 9 genes 3 are human. This could make it more or less deadly. It is probably going to do this  at some point by which time it will become a human virus. The survivors will have immunity and so it may become just another virus that does the rounds. it could however do what the Spanish flu of 1918 did and do a few mutations that make it completely unknown to our immune systems......that Spanish flu killed more than both sides of the great war....

time will tell. For the most part people are doing what they  should minimizing spread and monitoring. until then who knows?

I think another factor with Spanish Flu was the non-existence of any type of drug to fight it.

For me this one is well on it's way to pandemic level.

I see that two ways. It's going to kil a good few more ( in the age/pre-existing serious illness bracket ) or it's going to change/mutate and the more people who have it the the bigger the chance of that happening.

Edited by overherebc

6 minutes ago, briansbiology said:

masks should be worn by people with symptoms.  the only masks that effectively stop you contracting the virus form airborne particles are really expensive. those silly medical masks only protect others and not you. 

That's what I've read.  They mostly protect sick people from infecting others.  And as you say, the really effective masks are expensive and needs to be fitted correctly.  It seems people fumbling around with these ineffective masks are more prone to infect themselves.  Yet, it seems some governments are telling everyone to wear a freakin mask.  So if I walk around without one, it seems like I'm shirking my responsibilities.  Perhaps governments are telling everyone to wear a mask to ensure the sick people do.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I think another factor with Spanish Flu was the non-existence of any type of drug to fight it.

most certainly. but if the spread of this virus is not contained properly and if it mutates that could also be true of COvid-19.

Edited by briansbiology

Just now, Berkshire said:

That's what I've read.  They mostly protect sick people from infecting others.  And as you say, the really effective masks are expensive and needs to be fitted correctly.  It seems people fumbling around with these ineffective masks are more prone to infect themselves.  Yet, it seems some governments are telling everyone to wear a freakin mask.  So if I walk around without one, it seems like I'm shirking my responsibilities.  Perhaps governments are telling everyone to wear a mask to ensure the sick people do.

there is something to be said for small children wearing a mask as it helps stop them from touching their mucus membranes. it is also psychologically good for many as sad as that sound.s 

Most of us have. It's endemic here. Luckily, it's not that deadly. Lung infection and what have you. I'm hoping my early infection will give me some protection against the more deadly form, when it emerges. You know the reporting here is a joke. Especially for Farangs. Yeah, I'm gonna get myself quarantined and pay through the nose for medical treatment.

On 2/29/2020 at 8:45 PM, keith101 said:

With a mortality rate of around 2% think yourself luckier than some .

The problem with statistic, is they do not really know how many people had the virus.  They only know how many of the people they tested had the virus.  Today on the news they said 90,000 cases, 3,000 deaths.  OK.  I am sure they tested the people that were sick or died so they know if they had the virus.  But they sure as heck did not test 100 million people or 3 billion people, etc.  So they have no idea how many people "have" the virus.   So to say 90,000 cases, really only means 90,000 confirmed cases.  It most likely is more like 9,000,000,000 cases.  Some people just don't develop any symptoms, or many had such mild things like a runny nose, they just went to bed and slept a lot over the weekend and like a common cold were over it quickly and did not report anything

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

The problem with statistic, is they do not really know how many people had the virus.  They only know how many of the people they tested had the virus.  Today on the news they said 90,000 cases, 3,000 deaths.  OK.  I am sure they tested the people that were sick or died so they know if they had the virus.  But they sure as heck did not test 100 million people or 3 billion people, etc.  So they have no idea how many people "have" the virus.   So to say 90,000 cases, really only means 90,000 confirmed cases.  It most likely is more like 9,000,000,000 cases.  Some people just don't develop any symptoms, or many had such mild things like a runny nose, they just went to bed and slept a lot over the weekend and like a common cold were over it quickly and did not report anything

True that. But the other side of the coin is, it goes both ways. 

For example Thailand has now 43 confirmed cases, yet it has 1200 people hospitalised as potential virus carriers. 

So graph said that the pneumonia cases in Thailand has skyrocketed since the start of the year. I can't find where I saw it, nor confirm it's reliability, but it's one factor I consider, when I think of how many cases of coronavirus we have here. 

Also, how many cases worldwide, which, as you said are unconfirmed, but yet have severe symptoms.

The statistics only give us a window to see what happened in the past. If we or our scientists are smart enough, those statistics will give us a glimpse what could be the real situation today as well as in the future. 

My personal account to the virus is: If it comes, it comes. If I could be sure that I would get full immunity to the virus and it's mutations, it would be logically better to be infected right now, than later.

To 80% of the people the symptoms are mild. It's more serious for the other 20% though and of course a 2% mortality rate. That is significantly higher than the flu. I think the bigger problem is that because the symptoms are mild in some they may not realize they are sick and spread the disease. If you multiply a 2% mortality rate times millions of people the death toll starts to get enormous.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, briansbiology said:

most certainly. but if the spread of this virus is not contained properly and if it mutates that could also be true of COvid-19.

UK tv showing WHO stating   this is not an influenza virus it's a unique virus.  ??????

Not saying figures are correct, wrong or fiddled anywhere, this is just a comment.

Could the fast spread in Italy be in part because Italians do tend to hug and kiss each other every time they meet?

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

UK tv showing WHO stating   this is not an influenza virus it's a unique virus.  ??????

it belongs to  a family of viruses known as corona viruses. there are many. most have no threat to humans. they are more closely related to the common cold. 

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Not saying figures are correct, wrong or fiddled anywhere, this is just a comment.

Could the fast spread in Italy be in part because Italians do tend to hug and kiss each other every time they meet?

god help us all if the virus reaches Pattaya then...... ????

• Haha 1