I have the coronavirus. So far, it hasn’t been that bad for me.

rooster59

I have the coronavirus. So far, it hasn’t been that bad for me.

By Carl Goldman

cor.JPG

A bus believed to be carrying passengers from the Diamond Princess cruise ship, leaves Daikoku Pier Cruise Terminal in Yokohama, south of Tokyo, on Feb. 19. (Athit Perawongmetha/Reuters)

I have the coronavirus. And it hasn’t been that bad.

I am in my late 60s, and the sickest I’ve ever been was when I had bronchitis several years ago. That laid me out on my back for a few days. This has been much easier: no chills, no body aches. I breathe easily, and I don’t have a stuffy nose. My chest feels tight, and I have coughing spells. If I were at home with similar symptoms, I probably would have gone to work as usual.

I caught the virus on the Diamond Princess, the cruise ship that was quarantined outside Yokohama for 14 days, at the end of a 16-day cruise I took with my wife, Jeri. When I left the ship a couple of weeks ago, I felt fine. We checked our temperatures throughout our quarantine. Jeri and I got a swab test for the virus. Our temperatures were normal; they’d get the swab results back in 48 hours. Our test results had not arrived before we boarded buses for the airport, where two U.S. government planes waited for us.

As we took off from Tokyo, I had a bit of a cough, but I chalked it up to the dry air in the cabin. I felt pretty tired — but who wouldn’t, in our situation? I dozed off.

Full story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/02/28/i-have-coronavirus-so-far-it-isnt-that-bad/

The Washington Post: 2020-03-01

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tug said:

First I wish the guy off the cruise ship a speedy recovery it’s good to know it’s recoverable.but sir with all due respect I don’t think the Chinese government shut down their economy both domestic and foreign over nothing I still treat this virus very seriously indeed

Lets not forget in the beginning that those who were infected surged, and that there was a lag in recoveries, e.g. it takes time to get over a flu/pneumonia and if you look at the latest stats you can work out that around 48% of those infected have recovered, those that have passed away were very old and the low % of any unfortunate middle age ones probably had weak immune systems or pre-existing conditions, RIP.

China did the right thing in shutting its borders down, albeit it was a little late, perhaps they were trying to get a handle on what it was, who knows, that said, it could have been worse, and yes the spread is now out there into Europe and the middle east, south-east Asia being the closest will also keep rising, but at the end of the day, it's predominantly media hype which cause panic and hysteria, albeit it is a flu/pneumonia causing virus.

I am 60 and in reasonably good health, weight etc etc, apart from a pre-existing condition and want to take the kids down south for a holiday as school finishes mid next week, and my Mrs has already told me of her concerns, returning to Oz in October for a holiday is out, I know that and I can appreciate her concerns, albeit she is saving me a packet.....lol, but locally, not phased, regardless of the BS numbers the Thai government have been pushing through.

It's just another strain of the flu, as mentioned 48%, otherwise why isn't the recovery rate lower, because they aren't dying, that's why, which makes it another flu virus, it's not a pandemic and that is why the WHO have not raised it to that level, they are keeping a cool head on it, albeit it take more lives (elderly) as it spreads, that's what the influenza does, kill the weak, frail and those with pre-existing conditions, if they are unfortunate enough to come into it's path.

Anyways I will slowly keep chipping at the old block and get these kids down south, because being cooped up in the house for two months with the kids ain't gonna gel with this cranky old man, besides he needs to see some eye candy ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

I think that people need to listen to the experts a little more closely.

Myth 1: Hey, this is only killing one or two percent - so what! The trouble with the claim is that this version of the corona virus is brand new and has a high R(zer0), meaning that it spreads much faster and further than influenza. This gives it a great opportunity to mutate into something a lot more lethal. Besides, we do not yet know whether there is a much higher mortality in certain populations.

Myth 2: This is not a pandemic - so what! The trouble with this claim is that it is likely to become a pandemic very soon. If everyone on the planet got the virus, and assuming that it has a mortality rate of 1%, that would mean 7million dead! That would make it the biggest killer on the planet, far bigger than the Spanish Flu of 1918.

Myth 3: The media/politicians/Wall Street/the elite are exagerating the effect of the virus: There has been no exageration. Take the advice of WHO and other centres of expertise. The credible media is not hyping the situation. People need to stop consuming the fake news coming out of Russia (for instance, that the virus was invented in the USA to improve the profits of certain pharmacutical companies - clearly nonsense when the virus originated in China and what company can profit when there are no vaccines!).

I think your statistics regarding the 1918 Spanish Flu are incorrect...by a huge margin. That strain killed 40 to 50 million worldwide, six to seven times your estimate that 7 million could succumb to COVID-19, making it “the biggest killer on the planet” to date.  In 1918, 27 percent of the world’s population died according to a History.com article. I’ve repeatedly seen estimates in the 50 million for the 1918 epidemic, and just to add a useful source, Wikipedia has this to say:

The 1918 influenza pandemic (January 1918 – December 1920; colloquially known as Spanish flu) was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic, the first of the two pandemics involving H1N1 influenza virus, with the second being the swine flu in 2009.[1] It infected 500 million people around the world,[2] or about 27% of the then world population of between 1.8 and 1.9 billion, including people on isolated Pacific islands and in the Arctic. The death toll is estimated to have been 40 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million, making it one of the deadliest epidemics in human history.[3][4] Historical and epidemiological data are inadequate to identify with certainty the pandemic's geographic origin.[2]

• Thanks 1

What a lovely heartening post ????

I was young naive and trusting many years ago, brings back memories of my gullibility ???? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, CGW said:

What a lovely heartening post ????

I was young naive and trusting many years ago, brings back memories of my gullibility ???? 

I think the issue is not that its a bad thing to listen to experts .. The issue is more how to identify who the 'real' experts are .... ???? ... That identification process and its outcome tend to be some what different from person to person ...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

The issue is more how to identify who the 'real' experts are

Indeed, making the assumption that the folks at "WHO" & other such "organisations are experts may not be the wisest move IMO.

Indoctrination & the use of authority heuristics are well known to these people, making it difficult for most to see beyond...................

53 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

Myth 1: Hey, this is only killing one or two percent - so what! The trouble with the claim is that this version of the corona virus is brand new and has a high R(zer0), meaning that it spreads much faster and further than influenza. This gives it a great opportunity to mutate into something a lot more lethal. Besides, we do not yet know whether there is a much higher mortality in certain populations.

Myth 2: This is not a pandemic - so what! The trouble with this claim is that it is likely to become a pandemic very soon. If everyone on the planet got the virus, and assuming that it has a mortality rate of 1%, that would mean 7million dead! That would make it the biggest killer on the planet, far bigger than the Spanish Flu of 1918.

Myth 3: The media/politicians/Wall Street/the elite are exagerating the effect of the virus: There has been no exageration. Take the advice of WHO and other centres of expertise. The credible media is not hyping the situation. People need to stop consuming the fake news coming out of Russia (for instance, that the virus was invented in the USA to improve the profits of certain pharmacutical companies - clearly nonsense when the virus originated in China and what company can profit when there are no vaccines!).

Yeah, but. . . 

The media, politicians and Wall Street clearly ARE exaggerating the risks for their own nefarious ends.

A good scare story sells papers, enables greater political control and givesthe banks scapegoat - "It woz the virus what dunnit!" - when the teetering global economy finally tanks.

I truly wish I could share your confidence in the WHO's "expertise". However, I'm old enough to remember this:

https://www.globalresearch.ca/who-scandal-exposed-advisors-received-kickbacks-from-h1n1-vaccine-manufacturers/19587

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lust said:

And the moral of the article is?

If it was really bad, he would be dead, and it would not be spreading so quickly and widely.  The it’s likely not going away.

There are some new studies that seem promising to stop viruses, but years away, I’m sure.

that would mean 7million dead!

Wow, that would be terrible.

Especially when the world is so short of people.

At the moment "only" approx 7.7 billion million people, of which approx 57 million die each year:

https://ourworldindata.org/births-and-deaths

57 million........Oh dear God, the tragedy, I think I'm going to cry.

Would you care to join me?

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Proboscis said:

I don’t know where you got your number for the 1918 flu. More accurate is 20 million, and some are now saying as high as between 20 and 50 million. Probably difficult in those times to count accurately.

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

With a mortality rate of around 2% think yourself luckier than some .

Hi Keith I just learnt yesterday the difference "mortality rate and Case Fatality Ratio/Rate 

mortality rate – often confused with a CFR – is a measure of the number of deaths (in general, or due to a specific cause) in a population, scaled to the size of that population, per unit of time

case fatality rate (CFR, also case fatality risk, or case fatality ratio) is the ratio of deaths from a certain disease to the total number of people diagnosed with this disease for a certain period of time.

I'm currently taking the Thai herbal medicine Fah Thalai Jone which has been used for thousand of years in Thai/Chinese  traditional medicine and has a proven protective action again viral infections particularly of the upper respiratory tract. You can get it in any Thai pharmacy for around 120 baht for 60 capsules and most pharmacists I have talked to take it and never get colds or flu. Indeed my late father in law apparently ate this raw every day along with cloves for most of  his life and had near perfect teeth and never suffered from viral infections. It has little or no downsides so worth a punt if you want to have something in the cupboard. 

They recommend one capsule every day as a protective measure and the first sign of any cold/flu symptoms up the dose to 6-8 capsules a day. 

https://mb.mahidol.ac.th/en/new-look-at-an-old-remedy/

https://www.nationthailand.com/life/30242248

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrographis_paniculata

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1