Relatives support when hospitalised

Saltire

I have recently seen first-hand, what medical facilities in government hospitals are like for Thai people. My father in law who is almost 95, has had several 3/4 day stays in the local Regional hospital. It provides good care and seems to adhere to basic hygeine requirements, the staff from admin to nurses to doctors all seem quite competent and pleasant to deal with.

My worry however is not for the patient care as such, but the extent of support required to care for an in patient by the family members, in this case my wife. Having one brother who has no interest in sharing these chores, everything falls on my wife (and I to a lesser extent). As I type she has just finished 3 nights sleeping on the floor under her fathers bed, along with about 25 other patients and their family support relatives. She has to attend to all his toilet needs and provide and feed him every meal 24 hours each day. The patient and the relative have to sign a declaration to accept responsibility before they will admit the patient.

The ward has everything from crying babies, toddlers who have to accompany their parents who have no choice, men and women of all ages and with very varied multiple ailments. She has had very little sleep for the last 3 nights. We asked about a private room but they only have 3 and are always full, particularly now with the Chinese virus. I would add there seems also to be a cemeraderie amongst the supporting relatives, helping each outher out when possible.

The last time she did this prior to Christmas she came out with pneumonia. Hopefully I will recue her today if he gets home and hope she is not sick again herself.

My real oncern is what if she gets sick and needs hospitalised? Could I sleep under her bed for nights in a row, go get food and water for her etc? Obviously if I had to I would do it gladly, but to be honest, I'd prefer not.

So I guess I am asking what private options are there for Thai? Can I purchase medical insurance for her? Is it likely to be affordable at her age (40)?

40 minutes ago, Saltire said:

So I guess I am asking what private options are there for Thai? Can I purchase medical insurance for her? Is it likely to be affordable at her age (40)?

At 40 should not be that expensive (but remember current conditions are normally not covered and costs can increase).  Another option is to use government facilities and hire off duty workers to help take care of patient (at least part time).

You can pay extra (around 1000 baht a day give or take) for a private room with a couch for relative. You (or other relation) will still have to take care of her, but it will be a LOT more comfortable for you doing so.

I've done it many times. It is taxing, no question, but an air con private room helps a great deal and is well worth the money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

You can pay extra (around 1000 baht a day give or take) for a private room with a couch for relative. You (or other relation) will still have to take care of her, but it will be a LOT more comfortable for you doing so.

I've done it many times. It is taxing, no question, but an air con private room helps a great deal and is well worth the money.

The problem is none are available per poster and expect this shortage is even worse with the current virus scare.  

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As per lopbur3 the hospital in question (and it is the only one in the area) does not have this option.

When I dropped them off when he was admitted I left to buy food etc so I didn't see inside. I just returned from picking them up and it was a real eye opener.

There were 2 private rooms designed for 2 beds, there were 6 beds in each. People pay 200 Baht per night for this priveledge. There were only 2 rooms with one bed. Same rate.

The biggest shocker was the sheer overcrowding. 2 big wards with every second bed pushed together to queeze in the maximum beds. Every corridor had a row of beds down one side with usually a child and mother on each. No room in the wards themselves. Cheery nurses and doctors puting on a brave face or more likely have accepted this as the norm for too long. I wanted to take some photos but felt that would be too intrusive. Believe me, it was grim.

Add to this the current heat (no fans of course) and being daytime, many relatives for each bed. Chaos.

So......

Apart from hoping my wife does not end up here, or that I don't end up being a carer in this environment, I figure I need to visit the one Private hospital 3 hours away in Kanchanaburi and see what they can offer and what insurance they accept. I have heard some hospitals have their own schemes and preferred insurance partners.

As for me if my UK insurance comes through should I ever need it, this will not be an issue, but if they don't honour a claim, I now know exactly what the future holds should I ever get seriously sick and end up in hospital.

I still rate the hospital as a good facility, I have seen and been in worse in China. I have consulted 2 doctors with minor issues before and both had enough English to discuss my case a little.

8 minutes ago, Saltire said:

As per lopbur3 the hospital in question (and it is the only one in the area) does not have this option.

When I dropped them off when he was admitted I left to buy food etc so I didn't see inside. I just returned from picking them up and it was a real eye opener.

There were 2 private rooms designed for 2 beds, there were 6 beds in each. People pay 200 Baht per night for this priveledge. There were only 2 rooms with one bed. Same rate.

The biggest shocker was the sheer overcrowding. 2 big wards with every second bed pushed together to queeze in the maximum beds. Every corridor had a row of beds down one side with usually a child and mother on each. No room in the wards themselves. Cheery nurses and doctors puting on a brave face or more likely have accepted this as the norm for too long. I wanted to take some photos but felt that would be too intrusive. Believe me, it was grim.

Add to this the current heat (no fans of course) and being daytime, many relatives for each bed. Chaos.

So......

Apart from hoping my wife does not end up here, or that I don't end up being a carer in this environment, I figure I need to visit the one Private hospital 3 hours away in Kanchanaburi and see what they can offer and what insurance they accept. I have heard some hospitals have their own schemes and preferred insurance partners.

As for me if my UK insurance comes through should I ever need it, this will not be an issue, but if they don't honour a claim, I now know exactly what the future holds should I ever get seriously sick and end up in hospital.

I still rate the hospital as a good facility, I have seen and been in worse in China. I have consulted 2 doctors with minor issues before and both had enough English to discuss my case a little.

Most government hospitals are the same mate.

When i was in a government hospital for 7 months, the first 4, doctors would not allow me to go in a private room, being on life support, then oxygen, had to stay in overcrowded wards.

I WAS IN A 48 BED WARD, with 70 beds pushed in.

When my wife wanted to help me with anything, the relative of the man in the next bed had to get out of the way, thats how tight the space between the beds was.

My wife slept on a mat below my bed,conditions were horrendous.

Nursing care etc was considering the conditions they had to work in, was excellent.

When i was finally allowed in a private room, it was a world away from being on a ward, sofa for my wife to sleep on, tv  with English channels, kettle, microwave, fridge, well work the 1300 baht per day.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Most government hospitals are the same mate.

When i was in a government hospital for 7 months, the first 4, doctors would not allow me to go in a private room, being on life support, then oxygen, had to stay in overcrowded wards.

I WAS IN A 48 BED WARD, with 70 beds pushed in.

When my wife wanted to help me with anything, the relative of the man in the next bed had to get out of the way, thats how tight the space between the beds was.

My wife slept on a mat below my bed,conditions were horrendous.

Nursing care etc was considering the conditions they had to work in, was excellent.

When i was finally allowed in a private room, it was a world away from being on a ward, sofa for my wife to sleep on, tv  with English channels, kettle, microwave, fridge, well work the 1300 baht per day.

Thanks Colin. I always 'knew' most of this but seeing it for the first time really shook me. My wife also spent 2 months like this when her father had an op for esophagus cancer before we met and she says the much larger Provincial hospital some 3 hours away is 'better' but she still had to sleep under his bed and pay a total bill of 300K for the privelidge (He is not Thai).

You are correct though about the care aspect under those conditions, but to be honest I found even in the UK before, the nurses who were under different pressures still managed to be in high spirits most days, very important for patients.

• Like 2