Thailand records first coronavirus death - health official

webfact

18 hours ago, Ventenio said:

99% of those reading this can take out their passport, look down, and realize it DOESN'T say Thailand.  

All of us can go back home for 6-12 months and come back when this thing is under control. 

but we like 20 baht soup and chinese crowds....

I wonder if the expats in China are the same as we are.....555

If you fancy hanging around an airport(s) for a few hours with thousands of people from all over the world, up to you - but at the moment, not for me! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sahibji said:

unfortunately the vaccine to treat COVI-19 is not likely to ready till the end of this year. meanwhile it treatment by trial and error.

Thailand's Minister of Health said that our Chinese "friends" will have a vaccine ready by Songkran, but it won't be needed as the hot weather will blow the virus away! (Or words to that effect!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Where was this...why do you never include this in the news item. I want to avoid the town where he died and where the rest of the patients are. How can I do this if you won't ever tell where they are?????

You can get dengue fever anywhere.

The  young man  who died had dengue fever  first , also dangerous. If he hadn't had dengue fever , it is highly likely he would have survived.  Somebody here said the unfortunate man had no underlying conditions, but being ill with dengue is equal to having underlying conditions.

The death toll from corona virus is low in comparison to the number of deaths from ordinary flu in the world every year. I read now that every  country is taking certain measures, good, and hopefully we will see a drop in number of cases soon. 

I've just cleared the village pharmacy of Zithromax,the antibiotic that treats pneumonia..also ive started a course of oral iodine.nothing like being prepared.

this virus will come and there's no stopping it in this 3rd world country.i don't care for bs facts,graphs,tests that get it wrong and bs incompetent governments who have helped to spread this virus.

If you have a underlying medical condition,heart,lungs,organs then first comes the virus followed by pneumonia and then it looks like it will find a window of opportunity and attack the weakest organ in your body.other than that its just a roll of the dice jobbie.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

I've just cleared the village pharmacy of Zithromax,the antibiotic that treats pneumonia..also ive started a course of oral iodine.nothing like being prepared.

this virus will come and there's no stopping it in this 3rd world country.i don't care for bs facts,graphs,tests that get it wrong and bs incompetent governments who have helped to spread this virus.

If you have a underlying medical condition,heart,lungs,organs then first comes the virus followed by pneumonia and then it looks like it will find a window of opportunity and attack the weakest organ in your body.other than that its just a roll of the dice jobbie.

Covid causes viral pneumonia, antibiotics are not used for viral infections they are only for bacterial infections, however if you're protecting yourself from the possibility of catching bacterial pneumonia then go for it.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Haha 2

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 12:19 PM, christophe75 said:

Read the article on Matichon.

-35 years old

-no underlying conditions.

Lungs ravaged.

The nurse who took care of him : severe pneumonia.

Voilà. But do not forget, it's just a flu, and it kills only very old people full of conditions [complete the list with all the BS of lalaland brigade] etc.

https://www.matichon.co.th/heading-news/news_2016677

And the normal Flu has never killed anyone young either....a lot more folks have died this year to the regular flu virus than the Covid 19 virus.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, USMC RETIRED 2015 said:

And the normal Flu has never killed anyone young either....a lot more folks have died this year to the regular flu virus than the Covid 19 virus.

And tomorrow morning, the sun will rise.

What's your point ?

Ah... I know... "it's just the flu", "we have more dead with car accidents", "cancer kills", "fire is hot", and "water is humid" ?

Seriously, instead of trying to understand, to seek details, to doubt, what's the point to create piles of truism ?

Is it a kind of therapy ? So you can sleep better at night ?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Covid causes viral pneumonia, antibiotics are not used for viral infections they are only for bacterial infections, however if you're protecting yourself from the possibility of catching bacterial pneumonia then go for it.

And thanks to the overuse of antibiotics some bacteria causing pneumonia like staph aureus (MRSA) have become antibiotic resistant.  Better not run to pharma until you must.

On 3/1/2020 at 12:33 PM, tgw said:

wrong.

it has low mortality rate and weakened people are more likely to die of course, BUT a small number of young and healthy people seem to have a weakness vs. the virus.

That statement should be edited to read: "But a small number of APPARENTLY young and healthy people". Assessing a person's immune system is no easy task. Sometimes my wife catches my cold, sometimes she doesn't. Sometimes I catch her cold and other times I don't. The health (strength) of the body's immune system varies from day to day. We are not robots.

The media are always looking for a dramatic spin on everything as opposed to reporting actual truth. Good news is not good for business. They are desperately trying to find a young and healthy person dying of Covid-19 and this is the best they could do. 

The young man's immune system was already shot before he contracted the virus. We should take this as good news. We are yet to see an apparently healthy young person in Thailand succumb to Covid-19.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2020 at 1:23 PM, christophe75 said:

Please, spare me your weird mathematics.

For disease we talk about CFR : Case fatality rate.

And with figures coming from China, it's impossible to make serious calculations.

As for the other countries... we need to wait. It's way too early.

So see you in one year, and then we will be able to calculate this famous CFR...

I wrote it already : humility.

That's complete rubbish Christophe.

The CRF, which is the Case Fatality Ratio is a well known ratio in such cases and it is estimated at all times across an epidemic. However, you ought to know and ought to have said that there are several variations of the CFR and they ARE currently available to be calculated since there is a lot of data about confirmed cases, deaths and recovery.

The basic CFR, current deaths/current confirmed cases

The time lagged CFR, allowing for estimates of days of detectability

The CFR quoted in the American Journal of Epidemiology

Imperial College London did some rapid work on the CFR, too and they have prepared a deep detailed analysis of the data as at early in the year.

Using data I have been collecting since 22nd January, the current CFR is 3.42% including China and 1.70% excluding China

Using a time lagged rate, based on a 7 day detectability, the ratio is currently 3.88% (Thailand 2.33%)

Using the CFR quoted in the AJE, the current ratio is 6.32% including China and 16.22% excluding china (Thailand 3.23%)

Secondly, your dismissal of weird statistics is, itself, weird, since those numbers are collected and they are useful. Age is a significant factor in survivability as is the existence of a pre existing condition. Men are far more likely, as at today, to die of the virus than women.

The only valid point you made, Christophe, is that the final figure will not be known until the crisis is over. In the meantime, eat your own word, humility, since you are displaying none. Imagine, though, if our public health professionals took your approach of wait and see until everyone who is going to die has died, there would rightly be a major outcry as to why they did nothing!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, todlad said:

Te only valid point you made, Christophe, is that the final figure will not be known until the crisis is over. In the meantime, eat your own word, humility, since you are displaying none. Imagine, though, if our public health professionals took your approach of wait and see until everyone who is going to die has died, there would rightly be a major outcry as to why they did nothing!

Thank you to give me the only valid point that actually matters !

I mean, even by saying so, you continue to throw "numbers" ! It's amazing.

And I never that said that we just had to let people die. I'm saying since a few weeks that this virus is not "just a flu".

So what's the point to throw low CFRs, based on bogus and incomplete calculations... just to make the people feel better?

Anyway. I've got something for you.

"The neuroinvasive potential of SARS-CoV-2"

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jmv.25728

A recent chinese study.

We saw "sudden" deaths. In China. In Iran. People collapsing. We discarded those. "drunk people", "video montages", "taiwanese propaganda", etc.

Voilà. Damned... "just the flu" that attacks the nervous system...

You should always go back at the source.

The source is january 23. When China put a city of 11.5 millions people in lockdown.

It was never done before.

Ockam's Razor.

Why they did it ?

Because "just a flu" with a CFR of 0.735635637 % (rounded to the size of my underwear multiplied by the audience of CNN) ?

Wake up !

Edited by christophe75

8 minutes ago, christophe75 said:

Thank you to give me the only valid point that actually matters !

I mean, even by saying so, you continue to throw "numbers" ! It's amazing.

And I never that said that we just had to let people die. I'm saying since a few weeks that this virus is not "just a flu".

So what's the point to throw low CFRs, based on bogus and incomplete calculations... just to make the people feel better?

Anyway. I've got something for you.

"The neuroinvasive potential of SARS-CoV-2"

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jmv.25728

A recent chinese study.

We saw "sudden" deaths. In China. In Iran. People collapsing. We discarded those. "drunk people", "video montages", "taiwanese propaganda", etc.

Voilà. Damned... "just the flu" that attacks the nervous system...

You should always go back at the source.

The source is january 23. When China put a city of 11.5 millions people in lockdown.

It was never done before.

Ockam's Razor.

Why they did it ?

Because "just a flu" with a CFR of 0.735635637 % (rounded to the size of my underwear multiplied by the audience of CNN) ?

Wake up !

Well that makes no sense at all.

I wrote what I wrote because you challenged the numbers that public health professionals all over the world are watching by the hour. You dismissed them and, whether you like it or not, you told us not to bother with them because the true figure will not be known for a year. It is true, the final figure will not be known for a while. However, in the meantime, absolute, relative and trend values are vital to the work that is going on.

After all of that you provide a joke CFR of 0.735635637% and throw it away with a ridiculous comment: much more troll like than scientific.

Occam's Razor: that's for you and you link to that article rather than anyone else.

Supreme irony...

Now China imports... cases !

"Zhejiang Province reported 7 new imported cases of COVID-19 from Italy on Tuesday, with one confirmed on Monday, as the total number of imported COVID19 cases from overseas in the Chinese mainland reached 13."

The same stupid reasoning ("don't cut the flights, dont close the borders, it hurts our feelings !") is coming back to bite them in the <deleted>.

Priceless.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, christophe75 said:

Supreme irony...

Now China imports... cases !

"Zhejiang Province reported 7 new imported cases of COVID-19 from Italy on Tuesday, with one confirmed on Monday, as the total number of imported COVID19 cases from overseas in the Chinese mainland reached 13."

The same stupid reasoning ("don't cut the flights, dont close the borders, it hurts our feelings !") is coming back to bite them in the <deleted>.

Priceless.

I think they have the wherewithall to cope with 13 more cases having already seen 80000 dont you?

31 minutes ago, Traubert said:

I think they have the wherewithall to cope with 13 more cases having already seen 80000 dont you?

Great.

We still have people who absolutely do not get it...

I mean : you put a joke on us, right ?

You didn't understand that the point was not the number... but the fact that China is suffering now... EXACTLY the same negative effects that it put before on other countries and dared to complain about ("do not stop flights it hurts our feelings").

China sent us their infected, through flights, and did everything it could to maintain those flights, as long as possible (with the complicity of corrupted gvts and agencies around the world, of course)

We do the same now. We sent them our infected... by the same mean.

Allo ? No ring ? No current between the electrodes ?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, tropo said:

That statement should be edited to read: "But a small number of APPARENTLY young and healthy people". Assessing a person's immune system is no easy task. Sometimes my wife catches my cold, sometimes she doesn't. Sometimes I catch her cold and other times I don't. The health (strength) of the body's immune system varies from day to day. We are not robots.

The media are always looking for a dramatic spin on everything as opposed to reporting actual truth. Good news is not good for business. They are desperately trying to find a young and healthy person dying of Covid-19 and this is the best they could do. 

The young man's immune system was already shot before he contracted the virus. We should take this as good news. We are yet to see an apparently healthy young person in Thailand succumb to Covid-19.

well, there was this unfortunate 29 year old doctor who was about to get married:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-kills-chinese-doctor-peng-yinhua-delayed-wedding-fight-disease-2020-2

1 hour ago, christophe75 said:

Great.

We still have people who absolutely do not get it...

I mean : you put a joke on us, right ?

You didn't understand that the point was not the number... but the fact that China is suffering now... EXACTLY the same negative effects that it put before on other countries and dared to complain about ("do not stop flights it hurts our feelings").

China sent us their infected, through flights, and did everything it could to maintain those flights, as long as possible (with the complicity of corrupted gvts and agencies around the world, of course)

We do the same now. We sent them our infected... by the same mean.

Allo ? No ring ? No current between the electrodes ?

OK, we get it.

China the evil.

China the bad.

China the only country in the history of the universe trying not to lose face.

As opposed to the leader of the free world talking about COVID-19 on his own doorstep in such a way as to may one think that he might be a complete moron. It turns out that American Doctors are screaming for resources to test their people and yet China and others are testing thousands upon thousands.

In the end, China has been doing the right things right. Unless, of course, you know differently.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, todlad said:

That's complete rubbish Christophe.

The CRF, which is the Case Fatality Ratio is a well known ratio in such cases and it is estimated at all times across an epidemic. However, you ought to know and ought to have said that there are several variations of the CFR and they ARE currently available to be calculated since there is a lot of data about confirmed cases, deaths and recovery.

The basic CFR, current deaths/current confirmed cases

The time lagged CFR, allowing for estimates of days of detectability

The CFR quoted in the American Journal of Epidemiology

Imperial College London did some rapid work on the CFR, too and they have prepared a deep detailed analysis of the data as at early in the year.

Using data I have been collecting since 22nd January, the current CFR is 3.42% including China and 1.70% excluding China

Using a time lagged rate, based on a 7 day detectability, the ratio is currently 3.88% (Thailand 2.33%)

Using the CFR quoted in the AJE, the current ratio is 6.32% including China and 16.22% excluding china (Thailand 3.23%)

Secondly, your dismissal of weird statistics is, itself, weird, since those numbers are collected and they are useful. Age is a significant factor in survivability as is the existence of a pre existing condition. Men are far more likely, as at today, to die of the virus than women.

The only valid point you made, Christophe, is that the final figure will not be known until the crisis is over. In the meantime, eat your own word, humility, since you are displaying none. Imagine, though, if our public health professionals took your approach of wait and see until everyone who is going to die has died, there would rightly be a major outcry as to why they did nothing!

Since most of the fatalities are still in China, this could be distorted by the fact that most Chinese men are smokers, some heavy smokers, while women generally don't smoke.

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Since most of the fatalities are still in China, this could be distorted by the fact that most Chinese men are smokers, some heavy smokers, while women generally don't smoke.

Yep! I don't know that but you could be spot on.

19 hours ago, tgw said:

well, there was this unfortunate 29 year old doctor who was about to get married:

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-kills-chinese-doctor-peng-yinhua-delayed-wedding-fight-disease-2020-2

It's hard to determine how healthy he was. It's not so much the age, but the person's immune system that needs to be strong. Doctors are constantly exposed to harmful microbes. Perhaps his immune system was already compromised. In Italy they are telling 65 year olds and higher to stay at home.

Well if some of you still want to defend the actions of CCP China over this virus, let’s look at their actions;

early December knew about the virus, arrested doctors for spreading info and censored internet on all related info;

Mid Jan came clean about the pandemic but already missed the early containment

issued warnings and threats to all nations not to close borders to Chinese persons

kept using 1% growth rates in perfect order to lie about real numbers of infections

not allowing WHO into Wuhan, same WHO that are now public relations for CCP China

now worldwide pandemic with a virus with 3.4 mortality rate 

CCP are gangsters and bare faced liars just like the other gangster regimes around these parts

56 minutes ago, humbug said:

Well if some of you still want to defend the actions of CCP China over this virus, let’s look at their actions;

early December knew about the virus, arrested doctors for spreading info and censored internet on all related info;

Mid Jan came clean about the pandemic but already missed the early containment

issued warnings and threats to all nations not to close borders to Chinese persons

kept using 1% growth rates in perfect order to lie about real numbers of infections

not allowing WHO into Wuhan, same WHO that are now public relations for CCP China

now worldwide pandemic with a virus with 3.4 mortality rate 

CCP are gangsters and bare faced liars just like the other gangster regimes around these parts

Has anyone defended those actions? Of course they were wrong to do what they did. They are atoning for it now.

Why are you dragging this up again, though, as it is already well known?

These parts? Take a look at where you come from, Humbug and report back on their perfect record of truth and humility. As for me, the UK has been displaying elements of corruption at the highest levels and systemic failures all round over the last x years.

Some one just spat out the dummy on protecting CCP China, they brought to the world a 3.4 death rate virus, which for most will be mild but for some will be be serious and for many have effects in their income or businesses already dampened by these gangster regimes, but you keep trolling my posts with commie remarks and let’s hope you don’t visit Wuhan, because the WHO (pr dept. of China) are not even allowed in