90 day visa runs US Citizen / Vietnam

The requirement is that you cannot stay longer than the 90 days the permission to stay when entering on a 1-year MultiEntry Non Imm O Visa provides you.  So both border-runs (even same-day ones) as well as flying in/out are accepted, after which you will get once again a 90 days permission to stay.

Note: Each 90-day entry can also be extended with an additional 60days for reason of marriage.

4 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

The requirement is that you cannot stay longer than the 90 days the permission to stay when entering on a 1-year MultiEntry Non Imm O Visa provides you.  So both border-runs (even same-day ones) as well as flying in/out are accepted, after which you will get once again a 90 days permission to stay.

Note: Each 90-day entry can also be extended with an additional 60days for reason of marriage.

For Vietnam?

7 hours ago, treetops said:

For Vietnam?

He is asking about the the 1-year Multiple Entry Non Imm O Visa, which provides you with 90-day entries after which you need to leave the country (or apply for an extension of stay of 60 days for reason of marriage).

So yes, he can fly to Vietnam and return on that 1-year Multi-Entry Non Imm O Visa and he will be stamped in once again for 90 days.  He can also do land border-runs instead of flying in/out of the country, if that is more convenient for him.

If he has a Non-Imm-O Visa,  he doesn't have to leave the country.  With a non-o you simply complete a form and check-in at the local immigration office every 90 days. Or, if it works that week, check in online.  

When we received a six month VISA, we had to leave the country every 2 months.  We now have a one year non-o (multi) and we just check in at immigration. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, erinsf said:

If he has a Non-Imm-O Visa,  he doesn't have to leave the country.  With a non-o you simply complete a form and check-in at the local immigration office every 90 days. Or, if it works that week, check in online.  

When we received a six month VISA, we had to leave the country every 2 months.  We now have a one year non-o (multi) and we just check in at immigration. 

It was my understanding that the multi entry visa issued for one year at the Thai embassies in neighboring countries, still required us to leave the country every 90 days. I wasn't aware that we could just pop in at our local immigration office for the 90 day report and stamp. If this is accurate then the multi entry visa would be a great option after all. The question then would be which Thai embassy still issues the one year multi entry visa's? I know Penang does, but they still want to see the funds in the bank prior to processing the visa

• Haha 1

I think that the poster is confusing 90-day reports with the one-year non-O visa.  I have never heard of a non-O that simply allows you to check in at your local immigration office.  There is a lot of confusion on TV about terminology.  With a one-year extension of stay (not a visa) you are required to report every 90 days.  I mail mine in.  Some people report online and some go to their local immigration office.  A friend who definitely, absolutely has a one-year non-O visa granted by the Thai Embassy in Amsterdam must exit and re-enter Thailand every 90 days.  

Unlike most other countries, Thailand has many types of permission to stay only a few of which are visas.  The misuse of the term visa is the source of misunderstanding for many people.

9 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

The misuse of the term visa is the source of misunderstanding for many people.

I full agree with you. 

Visa, permission to stay and extension of stay, are distinctly different things, and using them interchangeably gets everybody confused, especially in those cases where you cannot determine from the context what the poster is actually referring to.

A Visa is your 'entry-ticket', which will provide you with a permission to stay.  When that permission to stay almost expires, you can apply for an extension of stay based on that Visa. 

On 3/2/2020 at 1:11 AM, Peter Denis said:

He is asking about the the 1-year Multiple Entry Non Imm O Visa, which provides you with 90-day entries after which you need to leave the country (or apply for an extension of stay of 60 days for reason of marriage).

So yes, he can fly to Vietnam and return on that 1-year Multi-Entry Non Imm O Visa and he will be stamped in once again for 90 days.  He can also do land border-runs instead of flying in/out of the country, if that is more convenient for him.

As he has now clarified, the OP is asking about Vietnam Visa requirements.  The post is in the sub section titled

Visas and migration to other countries

which would not be appropriate for questions on a 1-year Multiple Entry Non Imm O Visa for Thailand.

Edited by treetops