Spinal Surgery

singasong

My mother has recently had a consultation with Dr Wicharn re a sciatia problem she has had for years and having surgery in the UK 5 years ago that wasn't a success.

Dr Wicharn has recommended further surgery which he thinks should cure the problem (3 hr surgery) with a price of 600-650,000 baht, didn't think it would be that expensice but perhaps thats me being naive, any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

It will cost even more in those places.

You can get surgery done for less but not by this doctor, who is excellent. 

I do not recommend trying to do this on the cheap especially given 1 past unsuccessful surgery.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It will cost even more in those places.

You can get surgery done for less but not by this doctor, who is excellent. 

I do not recommend trying to do this on the cheap especially given 1 past unsuccessful surgery.

Very solid advice. There are some medical procedures that should never be done on the cheap, and spinal surgery would qualify as one of those. Your indication that this doctor is excellent is quite helpful.

This is a very high price for surgery of sciatica.

(It is not high compared to prices in  the US where they charge 150000 USD for a broken leg.)

It seems very high compared to prices in Western Europe. There are many excellent spine surgeons in Western Europe and if that's where you are from I would think about it

On 3/3/2020 at 2:04 AM, uhuh said:

This is a very high price for surgery of sciatica.

(It is not high compared to prices in  the US where they charge 150000 USD for a broken leg.)

It seems very high compared to prices in Western Europe. There are many excellent spine surgeons in Western Europe and if that's where you are from I would think about it

Yes that price seems to be the top end of having the op done privately in the UK, which is where she is from, probably have to have a re-think !

1 hour ago, singasong said:

Yes that price seems to be the top end of having the op done privately in the UK, which is where she is from, probably have to have a re-think !

In  that case I suggest you get written recommendation from Prof. Wicharn of (1) what he thinksi s causing the ocntinued pain and (2) exactly what procedure he recommends and why. Take that plus all test results (was nerve conduction study done?) to docs in the UK.

On 3/3/2020 at 12:19 PM, Sheryl said:

There is no such things as "surgery for sciatica". Sciatica is a symptom. Depending on cause there are many different surgeries that might be advised. Without knowing the details of the cause of the pain and the proposed surgical approach, I don't see how you can say this. 

I can say this because

1. OP gave few details,  so how can i response 

2. TV is not a medical clinic,  must simplify

3. it is a very high price for most conceivable possible operations

I agree with your last post.

• Confused 1

Having had prior unsuccessful surgery may rule this option out, but after 2 visits for MRI from the 'best' hospitals in both Chiang Mai and Bangkok, I was offered a spinal fusion operation at a minimum cost of $25,000. This was 7 years ago.

I decided not to go ahead based on potential risk, and took time to explore alteratives.

I went to a local acupuncturist in Siem Reap where I was living at the time and after 7 sessions at a cost of $20 each pain gone and has been gone since. It was bad, i was limited to walking about 50 metres at a time.

As I said though it may not be an option depending on what was done in the UK.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Post removed.

7. You will not post defamatory or libelous comments. Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person or business to suffer harm or loss. A statement does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either as a drawing, picture, painting, motion picture, film, or letters made visible by any means or by broadcasting, dissemination or propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand and elsewhere in ASEAN.